I feel like pedestrians who drive cars are more cautious than pedestrians who don't...

I know what you mean, I'm always baffled by the geniuses who wait for a walk signal at a busy intersection by standing 1-2 yards out into the crosswalk. Where anyone turning right would cream them.

I'm waiting on the actual sidewalk, not in the road.

How the fuck would you know the difference? Are they wearing a sign?
Yes
The sign is: they're not paying attention.

But seriously the problem is especially obvious in Manhattan. Not many people who live in Manhattan actually own cars due to the inconvenience and costs of parking, so most people take subways to get places.

The worst of all are BMW drivers, and Motorcyclists!

I imagine they are also assholes as pedestrians,
<{hughesimpress}><36><{cruzshake}>

I fee like pedestrians who are super distracted and not paying much attention at crosswalks do not respect what cars can do to them.

Pedestrians who normally drive are well aware of all the things a driver needs to pay attention to therefore they carry that sense of caution when walking on the streets.

Change my mind..

How the fuck would you have any sort of basis for know that, or knowing which pedestrains have a car or not?

How the fuck would you have any sort of basis for know that, or knowing which pedestrains have a car or not?
I'm sorry, I think you are looking for the mean berry lounge, the place for overreacting to insignificant chatter. This is the Mayberry lounge, the place for lighthearted humor and intelligent discussion.

Telltale signs of pedestrians who don't own cars: they are walking towards or from bus stops, subway stations, taxis.

There are lots of bus stops and subways near me, by many busy intersections.

Logically makes sense but how do you know that to be certain?

I'm sorry, I think you are looking for the mean berry lounge, the place for overreacting to insignificant chatter. This is the Mayberry lounge, the place for lighthearted humor and intelligent discussion.

Telltale signs of pedestrians who don't own cars: they are walking towards or from bus stops, subway stations, taxis.

There are lots of bus stops and subways near me, by many busy intersections.

Sorry for hurting your feelings, that was not my intent!

I was merely suggesting that you should post a questionnaire to the pedestrians to figure out the viability of your theory.

Not saying all, but most of us who ride are VERY aware of cars and the absent-minded drivers behind the wheel. How someone could just expect drivers to always be aware of them is insane. Phones, eating, doing makeup… See drivers do those things all the damn time. No way I’m just going to expect them to watch out for me.
People on actual bicycles act like that though. Crazy

Sorry for hurting your feelings, that was not my intent!

I was merely suggesting that you should post a questionnaire to the pedestrians to figure out the viability of your theory.

Such a poll wouldn't be useful- the pedestrians most likely think they are not doing anything wrong. The results wouldn't mean much making such a poll, pedestrian.

Hence I turn to the infinite wisdom of Sherdog.

For us BMW drivers, we own vehicles that look like normal cars but are built like sports cars underneath. So we treat normal roads like race tracks. These cars are really easy to push to their limits and it can be addicting AF.

TBH I had an incident where I was driving to a large outdoor mall- there are winding roads on the exterior that connect to the parking lots. I was doing my thing having fun on the bends until I got to an intersection where a family was trying to cross. I didn't even get close to hitting them or anything but I could tell the way I had been driving made the father very scared and he even put his hand out. It was at an intersection where I would have had to turn in.. I hadn't even turned into it and the cross walk was at least 50 feet away from the intersection and in addition the cross walk had a stop sign in front of it. I always respect stop signs so there was a 0% chance I was going to hit them, but the man was still cautious.

I've since calmed down.

So to prove my point- this man was walking his family from the parking lot to the shopping mall area. He is a driver and was super alert at that intersection and did what he thought he had to do to make sure his family was safe.

Last edited:
Such a poll wouldn't be useful- the pedestrians most likely think they are not doing anything wrong. The results wouldn't mean much making such a poll, pedestrian.

Hence I turn to the infinite wisdom of Sherdog.

It would be useful, if the poll is merely "do you have a car or not" and then your next datapoint your assesment of the pedestrians walking ability. L2science, sir.

It would be useful, if the poll is merely "do you have a car or not" and then your next datapoint your assesment of the pedestrians walking ability. L2science, sir.
You're talking to someone who has a Masters in Data Science dude.

Let me put it as simple as possible- not all data collection methods are considered equal, and in order to prove a specific hypothesis, the peers who review your work will ask questions about how the data was validated.

You're talking to someone who has a Masters in Data Science dude.

Let me put it as simple as possible- not all data collection methods are considered equal, and in order to prove a specific hypothesis, the peers who review your work will ask questions about how the data was validated.

And you can't structure a simple data set such as this would be? You should get that college money back.

And you can't structure a simple data set such as this would be? You should get that college money back.

I'll get a little more specific

Polls where people are asked to self report their own ability to do anything are the least reliable form of data.

I'll get a little more specific

Polls where people are asked to self report their own ability to do anything are the least reliable form of data.

Thats a given. However the poll in this case would be "Do you own a vehicle" Yes/No, not anything about reporting their own ability to do anything.

I don't think they are not aware so much as they are confident that a driver won't hit them. They're usually right.

I'm sure a driver would be a better pedestrian as I'm sure a cyclist would be more courteous to other folks on bikes... I could be wrong though.

Whoa this guy got banned? Wtf did he do?

Back