I don't think Conor will ever fight at Dublin again after tonight.

In America a lot of attention is made of the Italian-Americans and their link to the old country and organized crime here in the States. Less attention is given to Irish-American organized crime and in the New England states it's still pretty bad (not just Whitey Bulger and the Winter Hill Gang). I used to live in Jersey and would see tough guy Italian kids not even wanting to mess with the Irish, they knew better.

According to Uncle Dana, Whitey once shook him down. lol. He got a call telling him to pay them $2,500 for doing business in their yard (South Boston) and Dana called Delta Airlines and was on his way to Vegas immediately, left town in a hurry. Thanks to Whitey we have the UFC now. We owe Irish-American organized crime for it, actually.

HOW MOB BOSS WHITEY BULGER INADVERTENTLY MADE THE UFC

Though it's true that South Boston mob boss Whitey Bulger was recently convicted on 31 counts of racketeering, money laundering, extortion, and firearms possession and found complicit in the murders of at least 11 people during his 40-year career, it appears he may not have been all bad. In fact, he may have been responsible for the rise of the UFC.

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/how-mob-boss-whitey-bulger-inadvertently-made-the-ufc

Last edited:
I'm in London, can assure, the name's rarely mentioned in the media. They're happy to talk about ISIS and Benefits cheats though..

I don't think he's that big of a international drug lord for him to have stories written about him in the UK, - unless his name pops up if one of the papers do a story on a gangster in the UK who has links with him. When he got arrested in Spain a few years back it made the papers here and Spain, IIRC.

So whos this gang and whats something to google to give me some background info ?

In America a lot of attention is made of the Italian-Americans and their link to the old country and organized crime here in the States. Less attention is given to Irish-American organized crime and in the New England states it's still pretty bad (not just Whitey Bulger and the Winter Hill Gang). I used to live in Jersey and would see tough guy Italian kids not even wanting to mess with the Irish, they knew better.

According to Uncle Dana, Whitey once shook him down. lol

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/how-mob-boss-whitey-bulger-inadvertently-made-the-ufc

Whitey did help to traffic guns to the IRA, but when that went tits up, he didn't want anything to do with the Motherland anymore. Isn't Jersey fuill of guido's with the ridiculous hair and tans?

This kind of thing only happens in America, according to a lot of people. Didn't that guy know there's gun laws? How rude.
You weren't aware that violence was exclusively an American phenomenon? You must not be paying enough attention to the media. ;)

Whitey did help to traffic guns to the IRA, but when that went tits up, he didn't want anything to do with the Motherland anymore. Isn't Jersey fuill of guido's with the ridiculous hair and tans?

Yeah, Jersey is full of them. Think Jersey Shore idiots talking about GTL, Gym, Tan & Laundry.

You weren't aware that violence was exclusively an American phenomenon? You must not be paying enough attention to the media. ;)

I have been paying attention to the media. And they told me gun laws will prevent shootings. I mean, that's how they stopped the drug trade.

As many know, the Fertitta's themselves have ties to organized crime going back to Texas. They're not to be fucked with. What I do think is funny though is how Conor so quickly and easily won Lorenzo over. That Dubliner, like he said, is up there acting like half a wiseguy and getting away with it. Dana was silenced and Conor is now running the show. I never thought I'd see the day that an Irishman would silence Dana. Hell, he even got Dana to admit that he was wrong about the poster that Conor bitched about with RDA being in the foreground. LMAO. That's bad ass.

Dana White admits Conor McGregor was 'right' to want new poster

"Conor made his argument, 'This is a superfight. I'm a [145]-pound champion. He's the [155]-pound champion. My belt should be represented even though I'm not defending my belt.'

"And I said, 'You know what? You're right, Conor. All right, we'll do it,' " White said.

http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/...-mcgregor-was-right-to-want-new-poster-020416

Like a baws.

It was "gang" related. They were after the guy who they killed and that's it. Dressed as Irish police then just sprayed him with AKs. The guy fightings dad was killed a couple of years ago and the person killed was his friend. All drug related.

You guys are so lucky living in america not having to deal with shootings like this.

Yeah, Jersey is full of them. Think Jersey Shore idiots talking about GTL, Gym, Tan & Laundry.

Christ. What a thought.

The Westies seemed like vicious bastards in New York - read a bit of their book, but never got around to finishing it.

What's Whitey's old area like now crime wise, is it a mix of gangs controlling the area or one or two big ones?

Christ. What a thought.

The Westies seemed like vicious bastards in New York - read a bit of their book, but never got around to finishing it.

What's Whitey's old area like now crime wise, is it a mix of gangs controlling the area or one or two big ones?

I'd have to ask but was told that it was still pretty bad. I have a couple friends in Boston that used to tell me some stories that were pretty scary. That's a good question that I'd like to know myself though, the setup they've got now. All I do know is that one of my buddies said just because Bulger is gone doesn't mean shit really because someone else will pop up and take over, likely one of his higher ups. So I still imagine that you have to pay to play in that town if you own and operate a business, as Dana did in the 80s. He didn't have the 2.5K to pay them their share so he got a follow-up call, got scared stiff, and left town for good. I'm not even sure what I would've done, probably found a way to pay them.

I have been paying attention to the media. And they told me gun laws will prevent shootings. I mean, that's how they stopped the drug trade.

The UK has 0.23 gun deaths per 100,000 people every year.

The US has 10.64 gun deaths per 100,000 people every year.

That is, what... a ~4000% increase in gun deaths in two countries which are broadly similar in culture, economy, drug use, crime (in other ways) etc.

Can you think of any reason why there is such a disparity between the two numbers?

I'd have to ask but was told that it was still pretty bad. I have a couple friends in Boston that used to tell me some stories that were pretty scary. That's a good question that I'd like to know myself though, the setup they've got now. All I do know is that one of my buddies said just because Bulger is gone doesn't mean shit really because someone else will pop up and take over, likely one of his higher ups. So I still imagine that you have to pay to play in that town if you own and operate a business, as Dana did in the 80s. He didn't have the 2.5K to pay them their share so he got a follow-up call, got scared stiff, and left town for good. I'm not even sure what I would've done, probably found a way to pay them.

Dana said Kevin Weeks came to see him. I watched a documentary on Bulger and debt collecting at that time seemed a bit beneath him, but not like Dana would pass on embellishing a story. I thought Dana was running his business with Peter Welch, who it seems like is well respected in that area and still has his gym. Unless he was willing to pay up to stick around.

I thought things would have been quiet for a time when Bulger left, then one of hus close friends would start running the show or a new mob would have formed. Seems to be the formula with all gangs around the world. What a cluster fuck that whole episode was.

The UK has 0.23 gun deaths per 100,000 people every year.

The US has 10.64 gun deaths per 100,000 people every year.

That is, what... a ~4000% increase in gun deaths in two countries which are broadly similar in culture, economy, drug use, crime (in other ways) etc.

Can you think of any reason why there is such a disparity between the two numbers?

What's your murder rate?

Back