I can't see any way that DC beats jones

TheWobbler

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
After watching the first fight again and watching breakdowns I can't see DC winning, not even by decision

Jones is just to big and skilled. The reach advantage is to much. Even when he finally took jones down in the first fight he could not keep him there as he was to gassed. Jones kicks and elbows are to much to deal with and DC ate a few knees to the mid section and if this happens again he will gas badly.

I don't pay to much attention to the OSP fight as jones could have finished that if he really wanted to. A part of me just thought he wanted to get some rounds in.

What can DC do differently that he didnt do in the first fight to win this?

The key to win against Jon Jones is the punching power of Anthony Johnson- other than that- he'll just retire with a perfect winning streak.

He needs to mix more of the wrestling in with the dirty boxing and change it more. He gave up early on the take downs after a couple half hearted attempts in the end of the first. Fake TDs and spam upper cuts.

Last edited:
The key to win against Jon Jones is the punching power of Anthony Johnson- other than that- he'll just retire with a perfect winning streak.

Jones barely get's hit clean. I think I can only remember seeing him get hit clean to the head once or twice. Punching power is not the key to victory in my view. I think the only way that DC can win is if he can take him down and control him on the ground or against the fence if he get's up, but I don't see that happening.

Thread topic - I can't see any way that DC beats jones

Except for the fact that it was actually a pretty close fight & a couple of changes could easily alter it in the other direction. Work cardio like a madman is the main thing... & DC close to retiring, & the only man to beat him cued up next has likely lit a fire under him that made him do all he can. DC is very competitive & he will be obsessed on this so that he doesn't have any regrets win or lose when he looks back at his career, he wants to know he left it all in the ring.

We're also getting a sober Jones which is something we haven't seen. His fire from being a free balling kid is now different. He's been disciplined... & had to make changes.... he had to grow up. So it's a different Jones.

Whether that helps or hurts him we will see.

Last edited:
Agreed. He can't outsrike him(that reach advantage is insane),and we saw he can't grind him,barely took him down once and couldn't control him on the ground. I don't see how he wins.

DC won't knock him down
DC won't outwrestle him
DC won't choke him out
DC won't outstrike him

N O W A Y

I mean, he can win if he catches Jones with something, everyone can he knocked out. Some of you think Conor is going to KO Floyd.. DC has a better chance of making that happen against Jones since he's almost a heavyweight.

I think the fact that Jones' only fight under USADA was against OSP is significant. I don't think Jon Jones will be as quick and endurant as he was. And in this fight, the tides can change with a single uppercut or takedown. I'm banking on DC.

who knows how well jones tiny legs will do without PEDs, seeing him push people around people with that lower body seems as unnatural as Anderson Silvas KOs. JBJ lost at HS wrestling, DC went to the Olympics DC wins in a wrestling match.

I think JJ is a terrible person. But yeah, I think he's pretty much unbeatable at LHW. He is strong and powerful, and still has dexterity. He's long, and still can fight short. He is durable - his chin and cardio have never failed him.

And, most of all, he is 6 4, 230lbs come fight night. He is basically a HW. Without weightcutting, he would be fighting HW. So he has a clear advantage on most other LHWs based on his height and weight alone.

I'm with you. I think Rumble's length and power in his hands were kryptonite for Jones.

I don't see DC winning if Jones come in hitting on all cylinders. But if Jones comes in off his game and the OSP Jones shows up I can definitely see DC punishing Jones in the clinch. I really thought the whole DC trying to make a point of taking Jones down did unnecessarily drain DC's gas tank.

DC will outstrike him
DC will knock him down
DC will outwrestle him
DC will choke him out

Threads talking about absolute outcomes for fights baffle me... We live in the Bisping as MW champion era. If we should have learned anything at this point its that anything is possible, especially in a fight like this where their skill levels aren't THAT disparate.

I do tend to think Jon Jones is going to win though...

he's only a 2.5-1 overdog. fly to Vegas, drop $5k on him, and earn your $2k you so richly deserve. leave with $1k after hotel and flight.

because of course we know that when you say "I can't see DC winning" you really mean "i have an opinion, i'm consciously ignoring facts which may differ from my already formed preconceived notion, and i don't actually believe it enough to do more than post it anonymously", right?

few would argue that the best Jones is better than the best DC. but there is more to this 2017 bout than "fighter A beat fighter B 2.5 years ago", or "2010-2015 Jones > 2010-2015 DC". only a fool wouldn't see that.

Last edited:
I agree with you. DC is older and there's not much room for improvement at that age.

What can he do that Jones can't do better?

After watching the first fight again and watching breakdowns I can't see DC winning, not even by decision

Jones is just to big and skilled. The reach advantage is to much. Even when he finally took jones down in the first fight he could not keep him there as he was to gassed. Jones kicks and elbows are to much to deal with and DC ate a few knees to the mid section and if this happens again he will gas badly.

I don't pay to much attention to the OSP fight as jones could have finished that if he really wanted to. A part of me just thought he wanted to get some rounds in.

What can DC do differently that he didnt do in the first fight to win this?
I also rewatched the first fight, and I will add that DC doesn't have the cardio and mental fortitude to beat Jones.

Plus, DC is a under a lot of pressure to validate his legacy. His career hangs on the balance with this fight.

DC has a very small chance.

Lot's of guys looked unbeatable pre USADA; ie. Belfort, Hendrix, Silva, Weidman.....I'm guessing Jones is going to suffer a similar setback as these guys. DC takes him out late - round 4.

Thinking Jones is going to be the same guy as before is foolish. Name one guy that was busted with PEDS and came back performing the same....

<TrumpWrong1> Rumble great power but the fight IQ of a fish 5 of 6 career looses by RNC twice to DC. The fight book on Rumble "withstand his power for 1 and a half rounds make him work then backpack him". Rumble has lost to lesser fighters because they out brained him in the cage.

Back