How would Prime GSP do at the current NCAA wrestling level?

I don't think you fully understand how good some of these "kids" are that wrestle ncaa D1.
J'den Cox and Kyle snyder are just kids according to you. Yet they won ncaa tournaments and medaled in the Olympics....where they had to wrestle "grown men". Some of these "kids" have been doing this one thing since they could walk and still train almost year round. Gsp was a freak and was great at using mma style wrestling....he wasn't a collegiate wrestler though.
I fully understand how good they are. That being said there are a number of weight classes that involve single time champions. And he would need to move towards those. I don't favor him winning. But with a year of dedicated wrestling he has a shot at a weaker weight class. I've watched a lot of different types of success in wrestling in my days, some natural athletes that started wrestling at 16 and some wrestling since they were five. I get how good they are. Take your quotes and shove them up your condescending ass. And when you're ready to have a discussion I'll be happy to have it.

It's like asking if a good MMA striker could do well against a pro boxer.

I dont know much about wrestling.. but collegate wrestling is a little diff than freestyle wrestling. More wrestling on the mat, escape points etc etc.... i beleive Gsp trained with frestyle wrestlers. So it would be interesting to see how hed fair with guys in college competing under college rules. He would be very competative with TDs but pins and escapes may be diff.

Last edited:
He's arguably the best MMA wrestler in the history of the sport. How do you think he would do?
The canadian national team tried to recruit....not saying canada is big powerhouse in wrestling internationally....but that right there is very telling

The canadian national team tried to recruit....not saying canada is big powerhouse in wrestling internationally....but that right there is very telling
I had no idea about that. Incredible!

Eh....hes not a wrestler. He adapted excellent wrestling techniques to MMA and used it in a fully functional system, but as he is he wouldn't be great in ncaa. Now obviously he's very naturally talented. Maybe if he had come up in the sport then hed be a great. As he stands though I don't see him sniffing a national championship

I fully understand how good they are. That being said there are a number of weight classes that involve single time champions. And he would need to move towards those. I don't favor him winning. But with a year of dedicated wrestling he has a shot at a weaker weight class. I've watched a lot of different types of success in wrestling in my days, some natural athletes that started wrestling at 16 and some wrestling since they were five. I get how good they are. Take your quotes and shove them up your condescending ass. And when you're ready to have a discussion I'll be happy to have it.
Lower, weaker, classes huh...and wrestle guys like Nolf, retherford, Martinez, and Joseph....that's guys from 149-165. They would all crush him in folkstyle. Or maybe you think he should cut down to 141. Either way a discussion with you is pointless. You are the one that said he would be a grown man wrestling boys. I pointed out how stupid your comment was and showed you boys that medaled in the Olympics wrestling grown men. You got all in your feelings over it. It's OK to be wrong man. Just move on.

He has very good wrestling, but MMA wrestling is different to pure wrestling.

He'd do very well, but I don't think he'd be able to dominate.

Lower, weaker, classes huh...and wrestle guys like Nolf, retherford, Martinez, and Joseph....that's guys from 149-165. They would all crush him in folkstyle. Or maybe you think he should cut down to 141. Either way a discussion with you is pointless. You are the one that said he would be a grown man wrestling boys. I pointed out how stupid your comment was and showed you boys that medaled in the Olympics wrestling grown men. You got all in your feelings over it. It's OK to be wrong man. Just move on.
Lol, good luck in life kid.

I don't think he'd be as good as some would think.

It's amazing how many D1 wrestlers he's beaten.

Hughes
Trigg
Koscheck
Fitch
Hendricks
Absolutely. But that's because gsp was a great mma fighter. He adapted a great mma wrestling base that depended a lot on his jab. In a folkstyle match things would be completely different. Koscheck was a 4 time all American and a 1 type ncaa champion.
Lol, good luck in life kid.
temper temper little boy. Feel free to live in ignorance.

If GSP dedicated himself to wrestling from a young age I'm sure he would be a great international wrestler. But he wouldn't do well if he just switched over from MMA, two completely different sports.

This. He has a natural shot and is athletic; but he uses a jab to set up his shot. At the NCAA level takedowns take place with scrambles (unless you have Jordan Burroughs Double Leg) not just on the shots themselves.

At the highschool level today GSP is a state place winner in the top 6 states and probably a champ in the other 43 states

Absolutely. But that's because gsp was a great mma fighter. He adapted a great mma wrestling base that depended a lot on his jab. In a folkstyle match things would be completely different. Koscheck was a 4 time all American and a 1 type ncaa champion.

temper temper little boy. Feel free to live in ignorance.
Ok let's drop the childish behavior and see what we can prove. What is the average age of a wrestling medalist in the olympics? How many medals did the US get? How many medal and the NCAAs? The US collegiate tourney has tons of talent but translating to a world stage isn't as easy as you think against fully developed men vs. still developing men. Hopefully you prefer that wording.

I'm glad you know the current young bucks in wrestling. But that doesn't mean talent can't prevail with dedicated training. The fall off in college wrestling from the elite is just like the fall off in any other sports, hard and fast. To succeed in college wrestling, you need two shots and a good standup game, the elite typically have more. But look at Cormier, he barely had two shots.

Break down the depth of talent instead of just bringing up names of guys in the tournament. All that proves to me is you watch the tournament. It doesn't show me you actually know the game and how bad you need to be to compete. Because that is essentially the argument. How removed can you be from the sport and still have a shot.

By the way I'll check out the guys you named. It's been awhile since I've kept up with wrestling.

Ok let's drop the childish behavior and see what we can prove. What is the average age of a wrestling medalist in the olympics? How many medals did the US get? How many medal and the NCAAs? The US collegiate tourney has tons of talent but translating to a world stage isn't as easy as you think against fully developed men vs. still developing men. Hopefully you prefer that wording.

I'm glad you know the current young bucks in wrestling. But that doesn't mean talent can't prevail with dedicated training. The fall off in college wrestling from the elite is just like the fall off in any other sports, hard and fast. To succeed in college wrestling, you need two shots and a good standup game, the elite typically have more. But look at Cormier, he barely had two shots.

Break down the depth of talent instead of just bringing up names of guys in the tournament. All that proves to me is you watch the tournament. It doesn't show me you actually know the game and how bad you need to be to compete. Because that is essentially the argument. How removed can you be from the sport and still have a shot.
You said he would be a grown man wrestling boys. The ncaa (which this thread is about) is filled with folkstyle wrestlers in their prime. You said with a year training you think he could win. Gsp's shot is typically set up due to his jab.....not exactly going to cut it in collegiate wrestling. So I stand by my statement that he would not win or even AA with just a years training. I threw out those names because this thread is about gsp in his prime vs current ncaa wrestlers. Those are the top guys in all the divisions around his weight class. And about knowing the game.....while I'm too old to beat on my body wrestling, my young boys have been in the game for the past 6 years. I have friends with kids wrestling in D1, D2, and some still in high school. I follow them all even down to youth wrestling. Anyhow, If you care to discuss anything else wrestling related we can take that to the ncaa wrestling thread in the grappling section.

most of his wrestlin ability is just shooting way faster than his opponent can react in space

in wrestling, most takedowns come from the clinch where your opponent already has hands on you, so its hard to have one predictable shot, you need to have many different takedowns to keep them guessing and chain together

that being said, he trains with a lot of wrestlers so its not like hes never wrestled in the clinch before. he would beat some guys but then lose at the higher levels

If GSP was given a college career, I'd imagine he would do well and probably later All-American.

I think this is the best hypothetical. If GSP grew up in the U.S. and started wrestling at an early age, I think he'd have done extremely well by the time he was in college. Most like better than guys like Kos, perhaps as good or even better than Askren.

GSP is the type of the guy who does well at everything

Could probably be an astronaut if he wanted

Back