How was the UFC like in the Affliction /Jersey shore era?

There were some meth head tap out bros that lived in my same apartment complex during that era. One of them went into a complete meltdown state when Rampage knocked out Chuck. He spent the entire night in the parking lot screaming, "Fucking kill me!" Was very pleased a week later when I saw all their chintzy shit piled up on the curb.

Everyone was a mutated version of Cody Garbrandt. It was awesome.

Did not follow the UFC back then. How were the fans like in general and in sherdog? How was the MMA scene like?

2008- 2011, would you say around this time frame?

Was MMA about as popular as now?

It was the golden age of the UFC. PPVs were beyond incredible, there wasn't a shit card every week. You knew most of the fighters. Spike TV would show the prelims for free to get you amped for the PPV. You had to get the bar two hours ahead just for a standing room only seat.

Below is what the typical Buffalo Wild Wings looked like for a PPV.

Nowadays, the typical scene looks like this -

It was a great time to be an mma fan.

So many amazing fights/events

And the clothing was so UFC

Can't believe nobody posted the me and mah boys in jersey picture.

Still pretty sure The Sitch could have been LW champion if he wanted to be

"Come at me bro" was made by Ronnie on Jersey Shore. That dude would have made waves in the middleweight division
Nate-Diaz-and-Ronnie-at-Gallery.jpg

Back in the days, most people involved in MMA thought that wearing Affliction T-Shirts were cool. I wanted a Fedor Affliction t-shirt so bad I remember...
Affliction is cool af bro

it was a bit better. MMA was more of a sport and less of a popularity contest.

fans actually waited for fighters to achieve things before labelling them GOATs.

oh, and champions defended their belts.

seems a looong time ago...

That time period is just after the UFC bought Pride so you got to find out whether Pride > UFC but it turned out that in a cage under UFC rules it wasn't.
Although.... Rampage pretty much ended Chucks career.

those were some good years.

• Anderson was tearing through the MW
  • the LHW division was back and forth and then jon jones showed up to fuck everyone up
  • GSP was the WW king (even though everyone hated him for not finishing his fights)
  • BJ was the lightweight king until Frankie beat him at 112
  • HW had brock, cain, carwin, mir, etc vying for the strap

Pride was purchased, WEC was still separate (so no featherweight, bantamweight, flyweight)

i was just thinking about this the other day...

silverstar, affliction, tapout...PRAY FOR WARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

<{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}>

2010-2012 had the best UFC cards ever, but it was also a transitioning period. JDS/Cain/Jones coming up and LHW & HW looked solid from top to bottom, while the old greats started to fade. Fedor was God until he lost to Werdum in 2010. Then came the Anderson vs GSP p4p flame wars.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back