how was the maia fight

tekkenfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
man i forgot it was last night i saw he lost a decision was it basically liek the rest of them lately? curious if we got to see anything new maia does

man i forgot it was last night i saw he lost a decision was it basically liek the rest of them lately? curious if we got to see anything new maia does

definitely nothing new, lol. Maia had a really nice chain wrestling takedown in the first round, and had Usman's back except for a strong whizzer. After a little while, the ref broke them apart and Maia gave the ref a WTF look. That was about it for the fight. The rest was typical of Maia losses-- both guys sporadically trading shots with the other guy's more powerful; Maia with several close-but-not-quite takedown attempts; Maia eventually pulling guard and the other guy refusing to engage.

definitely nothing new, lol. Maia had a really nice chain wrestling takedown in the first round, and had Usman's back except for a strong whizzer. After a little while, the ref broke them apart and Maia gave the ref a WTF look. That was about it for the fight. The rest was typical of Maia losses-- both guys sporadically trading shots with the other guy's more powerful; Maia with several close-but-not-quite takedown attempts; Maia eventually pulling guard and the other guy refusing to engage.
That ref reset seemed pretty BS to me. Unfortunate.

hey need to stop giving maia top 5 guys fuck after 2 losses give hima number 10 or lower
its bs how when top guys start to flal off they keep giving them top guys then cut them completely wtf if they arnt doing well vs top comp give them lower level guy

its like the ufc does it on purpose when they wana get rid fo a guy they will say well he had 3 lsoses back t back.. hes done.. yet they made him fight the very top guys of a division lol like pettis maia weidman

seems like if you were once a top guy and you lose ufc tries to bury you by feeding you nothing but the top guys till you lose 3 to 4 times so they can cut you your rankings go way down but they still make you fight the best its bullshit

Maia is so goddamn frustrating to me because he’s got excellent single and double legs, it’s just that shooting in is really the only offense he has so people know how to beat him by now. I really wish he would work on clinch work.

Maia shooting from the outside in a very telegraphed manner repeatedly and losing an ugly kickboxing match

i find ti weird that he trains at a super high level wrestling camp yet does the same thing ud think hsi coaches would make him drill his game plan daily his bjj is good enough that he can go into camps without even rolling just work coming out at the bell and a good set up into your takedown sadly alot of guys just either do bjj or wrestling and kick boxing separate and never train the shoot boxing as danaher calls it punches into takedowns that should be 80% of what he works on tbh

Maia is so goddamn frustrating to me because he’s got excellent single and double legs, it’s just that shooting in is really the only offense he has so people know how to beat him by now. I really wish he would work on clinch work.

well thats when you gotta be creative like throwing hard as you can body kivks head kicks ect make him grab 1 on reaction then thats his entry into a clinch situation theres many ways to get into a grappling situation besides chasing a guy down with shots

I think when you are in a situation where you’re clearly working, clearly having an advantage and to have the ref reset, really robs you of enthusiasm. After that, I think Demian’s hunger dropped. As a grappler, you really need every edge you can find, Demian did all the right things by throwing some punches to prevent a reset and what does the moron ref do? He resets the action.

Totally wrong in a sportive sense.

i find ti weird that he trains at a super high level wrestling camp yet does the same thing ud think hsi coaches would make him drill his game plan daily his bjj is good enough that he can go into camps without even rolling just work coming out at the bell and a good set up into your takedown sadly alot of guys just either do bjj or wrestling and kick boxing separate and never train the shoot boxing as danaher calls it punches into takedowns that should be 80% of what he works on tbh
Maia is 40 fighting against an NCAA wrestler. He wasn’t getting him down

It was complete bull shit.

That said Maia also had a clear path to land uncontested shots to Usman's liver or face but he didn't take them.

I'm sure you've been told by now. It looked exactly like the Woodley/Maia Covington/Maia fight. Maia has proven to be insane. He hasn't adjusted for his inability to takedown elite wrestlers. He shot for prob 20+ takedowns...only landed like a half of a take down. The one time he pulled guard he was successful but only had 20seconds to work. A guy like Usman is not easy to take down due to his wrestling and ox strength.

I'm sitting there wondering why he didn't throw leg kicks, or fake a takedown and throw a power shot or knee behind it. Maia won the 1st round and actually seemed to be winning the stand up. But then his energy faded and he ran around the cage to avoid flurries by Usman. At this point in maia's career he needs to face non-wrestlers.

In my view the greatest value of a shot in MMA is, you don't even necessarily have to finish on the legs; you can use it simply to close distance and come up with an underhook, which puts you in a strong position for beating them up on the inside or against the cage.

its like the ufc does it on purpose when they wana get rid fo a guy they will say well he had 3 lsoses back t back.. hes done.. yet they made him fight the very top guys of a division lol like pettis maia weidman

seems like if you were once a top guy and you lose ufc tries to bury you by feeding you nothing but the top guys till you lose 3 to 4 times so they can cut you your rankings go way down but they still make you fight the best its bullshit
Yep. You nailed it. And it builds the name of those young guns that beat you and can put your name under their belt even when you're past your prime.

In this sport they feed the old to the young.

It's a brutal sport. In a strange way though I sort of think that's how the sport should go. Although I also feel terrible for thinking that because it's definitely a brutal cycle.

hey need to stop giving maia top 5 guys fuck after 2 losses give hima number 10 or lower
its bs how when top guys start to flal off they keep giving them top guys then cut them completely wtf if they arnt doing well vs top comp give them lower level guy
I think Maia asked for this fight as a late replacement. Crazy.

Maia has shown a bunch of really good clinch work. Its almost like he has to switch back in to Bjj/judo mode for it to work though. He has done stellar clinch work against a bunch of tough guys, scoring takedowns from the body lock, taking the back, or tripping them. I think hes just getting a little old to be cutting so much weight and fighting the few guys who are better at wrestling then he is.

I'm sure you've been told by now. It looked exactly like the Woodley/Maia Covington/Maia fight. Maia has proven to be insane. He hasn't adjusted for his inability to takedown elite wrestlers. He shot for prob 20+ takedowns...only landed like a half of a take down. The one time he pulled guard he was successful but only had 20seconds to work. A guy like Usman is not easy to take down due to his wrestling and ox strength.

I'm sitting there wondering why he didn't throw leg kicks, or fake a takedown and throw a power shot or knee behind it. Maia won the 1st round and actually seemed to be winning the stand up. But then his energy faded and he ran around the cage to avoid flurries by Usman. At this point in maia's career he needs to face non-wrestlers.
Just looking at history, I think maia can still beat wrestlers, even very good wrestlers, but the last 3 guys he has faced are/were incredibly high level wrestlers. Fitch, Story, DHK, LaFlare, etc he can beat those guys. Fitch was a sub .500 DI wrestler, Story a All American in the NAIA, DHK a solid judo guy from a country with very good judo and wrestling, LaFlare a successful HS and JUCO wrestler, but Woodley, Covington, and Usman were world class as amateur wrestlers. Id say if Maia wants to beat those guys he has to be on his A game and pull off something like what he did to Chael, another world class wrestler. Shooting on guys like Woodley, Colby, and Usman is gonna be extremely tough. You'd better be prepared to chain wrestle and/or grind them out in the clinch and ramp up stuff from Bjj and judo.

Maia is 40 fighting against an NCAA wrestler. He wasn’t getting him down
Not just an NCAA wrestler, but a National champion NCAA wrestler who went on to successfully compete in National/International freestyle wrestling while living and training at the Olympic Training Center with some of the best wrestlers and coaches in the world. Some of his wrestling was done up at 211 pounds. Usman is a beast and was a damn good wrestler.

Back