how was the maia fight

Just looking at history, I think maia can still beat wrestlers, even very good wrestlers, but the last 3 guys he has faced are/were incredibly high level wrestlers. Fitch, Story, DHK, LaFlare, etc he can beat those guys. Fitch was a sub .500 DI wrestler, Story a All American in the NAIA, DHK a solid judo guy from a country with very good judo and wrestling, LaFlare a successful HS and JUCO wrestler, but Woodley, Covington, and Usman were world class as amateur wrestlers. Id say if Maia wants to beat those guys he has to be on his A game and pull off something like what he did to Chael, another world class wrestler. Shooting on guys like Woodley, Colby, and Usman is gonna be extremely tough. You'd better be prepared to chain wrestle and/or grind them out in the clinch and ramp up stuff from Bjj and judo.
You are prob right because after all there are levels to wrestling. I just feel basically maia has no way to win against a solid wrestler. And I'm sure he could land some takedowns against lesser wrestlers but given his last three fights I wouldn't take any chances fighting any above average wrestlers.

Maia has shown a bunch of really good clinch work. Its almost like he has to switch back in to Bjj/judo mode for it to work though. He has done stellar clinch work against a bunch of tough guys, scoring takedowns from the body lock, taking the back, or tripping them. I think hes just getting a little old to be cutting so much weight and fighting the few guys who are better at wrestling then he is.

whats funny is he did alot of that at 185 as well with bigger guys usually smaller guys cant dominate the clinch but maia was very tricky now he has the same game plan shoots to his knee trying to wrap his arms around a single that just cant cut it theres lots of ways to end up ina clinch situation be creative thats the beauty of mma u can do things others cant like throwing tons of kicks not fearing a guy taking you down ect which makes your striking alot better

Maia needs upper body takedowns.

And he needs to fire his coaches (or get a brain transplant).

Maia needs upper body takedowns.

And he needs to fire his coaches (or get a brain transplant).

people always blame the coaches in combat sports the athlete is at more fault than coaches in football basketball its more on the coaches issues with game plans in mma the fighter has to be able to pull that switch maia trains with some of the best wrestlers in the country who also train for mma only place i know thats better would be miami att

Back