• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Movies How was Dune (2021)?

nothing in the movie transmits that.

Sure it does. This scene in particular shows Paul's vision of the future to come if he embraces the path laid out before him and becomes the chosen one; the visions show galaxy wide war and destruction and Paul being worshipped as a god by fanatical followers. It fills him with horror and it's right there on screen, but I suppose you have to know the story to really get it.

One of many great scenes that make this movie very, very different to Star Wars.

Last edited:
I liked it a lot, but still it was a mixed bag. The visuals were absolutely mind blowing, the best cinema experience I've ever had in IMAX. Soundtrack was amazing at times, but over the top and overbearing at others. Acting was solid, outside of a few jarringly cringe scenes that should have been cut. Story was good, but the plot points were somewhat disjointed as some contextualising scenes were left on the cutting room floor, and it was only part one of a story. The feel of the movie was very Villeneuve, so despite having a mainstream ensemble it had this ethereal and dream like quality to it that I personally liked a lot.

Overall, I rated it an 7.5 as I had high expectations. Had the feeling that it could have been one of the greatest movies I've ever seen with a slightly different soundtrack, a different edit and a more streamlined plot. Definitely watching part 2.

Last edited:
Yeah I'd say about the same quality. If you Loved one, you'll Love the other

Villenueve bless

Well i've watched it at least ten times at this point and i still think it's phenomenal. Just finished watching season 2 of Foundation on Apple tv and i thought that was awesome too. Blade Runner 2049 isn't that good honestly.

Sure it does. This scene in particular shows Paul's vision of the future to come if he embraces the path laid out before him and becomes the chosen one; the visions show galaxy wide war and destruction and Paul being worshipped as a god by fanatical followers. It fills him with horror and it's right there on screen, but I suppose you have to know the story to really get it.

One of many great scenes that make this movie very, very different to Star Wars.

scene kinda proves my point. it's relegated to some soundbites that are easily drowned by the cascade of flashy stuff. i actually forgotten this specific scene until watching it right now. talk about leaving an impression. compared to blade runner, which i can remember a lot more from, even if it's years before this one.

scene kinda proves my point. it's relegated to some soundbites that are easily drowned by the cascade of flashy stuff. i actually forgotten this specific scene until watching it right now. talk about leaving an impression. compared to blade runner, which i can remember a lot more from, even if it's years before this one.

Well, if you didn't enjoy it, you didn't enjoy it.

I think that scene is a great one and central to the movie - but I get that it's true significance might not be apparent until the story is completed in part 2. However, even with half the story told, I do think it's one of many clear indications that we are not just looking at a straight hero's journey: Paul is quite clearly horrified by the path in front of him.

Well, if you didn't enjoy it, you didn't enjoy it.

I think that scene is a great one and central to the movie - but I get that it's true significance might not be apparent until the story is completed in part 2. However, even with half the story told, I do think it's one of many clear indications that we are not just looking at a straight hero's journey: Paul is quite clearly horrified by the path in front of him.

As importantly, a viewer does not need to understand the importance of Paul's visions to follow the plot. Part 1 establishes that Paul has visions, many of them are violent, and they are not always accurate.

I would argue that the true importance of many of the visions do not hit home until Messiah

Gurney is one of the deadliest fighters in the universe and Paul was a child who had never killed a man.

Paul had been told to obey the reverend mother and while taking the test, endured more pain than anyone else ever had.

He is NOT Luke Skywalker.

You are arguing against strong "the only movie I have ever seen is Star Wars and this movie kinda reminds me of Star Wars" vibes.

I already have tickets to watch Dune 2 in IMAX. It is my must see movie of 2024.

Interestingly, over half of our group are people who have never read the books but just loved the first film

I was jazzed that they took the casting of Idaho seriously in the film, he's one of the most important characters in the series. He comes back as a Ghola (MANY times over Leto II's reign) and ultimately kills Leto II.

And he's definitely an action hero, he's considered the best sword in the universe.

Actually he wasnt, gurney is better than idaho at combat in atreides

Wiki version what was said in children of dune

A graduate of the Ginaz school, Duncan was charged by Duke Leto with training his son Paul in the art of war. This involved hand-to-hand combat and military strategy. These skills Duncan imparted on the young Paul in conjunction with Thufir Hawat and Gurney Halleck. When compared to Gurney, Duncan appeared to fight with more finesse but Gurney was regarded as more lethal, typically beating Duncan six times out of ten. This seemed to give Paul a well-rounded education. "

And best combatant in galaxy is actually count fenring (forgot about him myself)

Idaho was chosen by god emps due to his morality, gurney was blindly loyal if leto told him to kill innocent people he would have done it and not think twice, duncan questions orders and has good heart while gurney is just a killer

Last edited:
I loved Dune and have rewatched it a bunch of times. I read the book first so that certainly helped but the movie was great. I can’t wait for the 2nd one.

Actually he wasnt, gurney is better than idaho at combat in atreides

Wiki version what was said in children of dune

A graduate of the Ginaz school, Duncan was charged by Duke Leto with training his son Paul in the art of war. This involved hand-to-hand combat and military strategy. These skills Duncan imparted on the young Paul in conjunction with Thufir Hawat and Gurney Halleck. When compared to Gurney, Duncan appeared to fight with more finesse but Gurney was regarded as more lethal, typically beating Duncan six times out of ten. This seemed to give Paul a well-rounded education. "

And best combatant in galaxy is actually count fenring (forgot about him myself)

Idaho was chosen by god emps due to his morality, gurney was blindly loyal if leto told him to kill innocent people he would have done it and not think twice, duncan questions orders and has good heart while gurney is just a killer

I always remembered Duncan as being better than Gurney, and usually when I mention how good Gurney is someone says "not as good as Duncan".

Either way, Paul fought Gurney to a draw as a child shortly before toying with and killing Jamis.

Finally felt like someone gave a shit about the book.

Although I also appreciate Lynch totally not giving a shit about the book.

Pretty good. Read the book ages ago and thought it was a hot mess so I was pleasantly surprised by the movie.

underwhelming. Ok cast but basically just two people running through a desert and beardless momoa.

This is the Kwisatz Haderach not the scrawny fairy they have playing him now.

good movie. Bit too long though.

Back