How to prevent getting rolled through when using hip toss

Like I said, more than willing to help with reading comprehension issues you may have. Especially if reading the whole post is challenging

lol I don't want to explain why this is so funny to me, but thank you.

This is usually how I attempt my hip throws, very deep hips. So the goal is to essentially remain standing after I throw in order to not get rolled through? I have to get lower and make sure they can't step around me essentially?

U want better balance and control as you go to the mat. So not necessarily end standing, just end the throws with you dictating the trajectory and with you in top control. Make sure he's as fully unbalanced as possible before turning away.

For going to the mat think question mark ? shaped throws or the floor drops out from beneath him, he rotates over and then drops. I always try to replace where he was with myself and then sprawl kicking my feet out from underneath me to drop on him. Think of that tight and high circle in the ? and then it drops rather than a O. I can control Uke's body and balance while he's off his feet and drive back with mine through below his center of gravity.

Some of the smoothest Koshi's come from whipping Uke forward getting his shoulders in front of his hips and arms over extended then reversing direction and cutting off his forward momentum with my hips. Even if he has good grip, my backwards snap breaks their grip so I control his shoulders and upper body and drop him where I want.

Last edited:
Like I said if your reading comprehension is failing and can't understand sarcasm we can go back through it. Sorry I call a spade a spade. I know you disagree

No offense dude but you took offense and started acting holier than thoug to me from page 1 of my own thread asking for advice. Take it easy. No one is making assumptions or overstepping thier boundaries or being rude. If anything you are overly sensitive and seem to have a holier than thou attitude and nitpick the shit out of the most innocent of remarks. What that guys said wasn't offensive in the least. No need to be a passive aggressive prick about it. It's not just your opinion that counts.

No offense dude but you took offense and started acting holier than thoug to me from page 1 of my own thread asking for advice. Take it easy. No one is making assumptions or overstepping thier boundaries or being rude. If anything you are overly sensitive and seem to have a holier than thou attitude and nitpick the shit out of the most innocent of remarks. What that guys said wasn't offensive in the least. No need to be a passive aggressive prick about it. It's not just your opinion that counts.
Ummmm that was many things things but passive aggressive was not one of them. And if you want to take advice advice from someone not really qualified as you white knight for them, go right ahead. And as you train longer you'll understand my reaction to your thread even if you still don't agree. But keep on virtue signaling.

Do you have any actual questions relating to hip tosses or takedowns? Or are you just gonna white knight for someone who whether or not I like him doesn't need it

Damn. I think you post the best wrestling advice and videos jack but you seem in a bad mood. Summer striker is just trying to help (regardless of if it's correct advice or if it's just from personal experience).

Ummmm that was many things things but passive aggressive was not one of them. And if you want to take advice advice from someone not really qualified as you white knight for them, go right ahead. And as you train longer you'll understand my reaction to your thread even if you still don't agree. But keep on virtue signaling.

Do you have any actual questions relating to hip tosses or takedowns? Or are you just gonna white knight for someone who whether or not I like him doesn't need it

Sorry for whatever you are going through dude. You obviously have some issues going on making you so grouchy. Best of luck bud.

Sorry for whatever you are going through dude. You obviously have some issues going on making you so grouchy. Best of luck bud.
I'm not going through anything genius, I'm sorry you are so thin skinned and such a white knight you're pathetically trying to be condescending. Like I said, do you have an actual question about technique or are you just going to whine?

Damn. I think you post the best wrestling advice and videos jack but you seem in a bad mood. Summer striker is just trying to help (regardless of if it's correct advice or if it's just from personal experience).
Yes but like I said if people actually read the full thing, I said the issue is with "how" summer striker presents himself as much as what he says, add in the umm JV aspect of technique he tries to "teach" that bothers me.

I would be like me telling some of the higher level blackbelts on here how to "properly" do bjj technique or how to run a gym even though I've barely done both comparatively and nowhere near at the same level. And when he talks about that he knows what he's talking about in the gym.. it's a lot like if I bragged about beating Evenflow in wrestling

I have rational reasons for my opinions, I'm just not always as nice as people would like

I have rational reasons for my opinions, I'm just not always as nice as people would like
You should try and appreciate how it comes off for people who haven't done deep background on the relationship between random forum arseholes jacksomenumbers and SamtheStrikerOrWhatever.

Perhaps just dismissing him loftily and moving on would be a better use of your time than playing ten rounds of "AS YOU CAN QUITE CLEARLY SEE I EXPLAINED IN POST #387436273962"?

In order to avoid rerolls, you have to get your lead hip high and off the mat before your opponent lands. He can ONLY reroll you if your lead hip is down. This is why slam headlocks and sag headlocks are almost never rerolled.

In order to avoid rerolls, you have to get your lead hip high and off the mat before your opponent lands. He can ONLY reroll you if your lead hip is down. This is why slam headlocks and sag headlocks are almost never rerolled.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.

@Dirty Holt do you think there are any other technical problems that are the usual culprits allowing the roll?

Maybe over rotating at the shoulder, as if pulling them and muscling it?

Any better way to articulate that?

Not sure what you mean by getting my lead hip off the mat, as in I have to be up on my toes?

@Dirty Holt do you think there are any other technical problems that are the usual culprits allowing the roll?

Maybe over rotating at the shoulder, as if pulling them and muscling it?

Any better way to articulate that?

Taking them over with perpindicular hips, and rotating too hard. I see this because the move is usually taught to acheive Ipon, rather than look less appealing and with less arch to maintain top position.

Not sure what you mean by getting my lead hip off the mat, as in I have to be up on my toes?

Lead hip needs to have the iliac crest and anterior ridge facing the ceiling rather than facing forward or even down, as you would to get an Ipon in judo. Watch what I do to this guy at 2:09. I sag then immediately rotate my hips facing up. I beat our last Olympic team member and world bronze medalist with this move 2x, although I couldnt keep control long enough for the pin.

Back