How to prevent getting rolled through when using hip toss

Julian Smith

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
If your opponent knows how to roll through, does it nullify using the hip toss as a move? What aspect of executing a hip toss correctly prevents the opponent from curling up and rolling you over?

Sweep the leg.

If your opponent knows how to roll through, does it nullify using the hip toss as a move? What aspect of executing a hip toss correctly prevents the opponent from curling up and rolling you over?

If it is no gi, I personally don't go to the ground with them. I always dump them then try to get side mount or half guard. I like to do the variation, I think it is called Tsuri Goshi, where you let them roll off your hip. It doesn't hurt them as bad but you get side mount and they can't roll you as easily.

tsurigoshi.gif

Other people who like to do big tight hip tosses in the gi get good at dropping into kesa and smashing them to the mat.

If doing as a a head and arm the arm that goes around the head needs to punch the mat, and I mean punch like you're trying to knock someone out and your shoulder and bicep should hit there head

It honestly takes a very long time to get a back step down but the rotation style hip toss is the easiest to learn imo. This coach explains it well

Ignore summer strikers advice unless you are extremely big and haven't heard anything from the other wrestlers or judoka

If doing as a a head and arm the arm that goes around the head needs to punch the mat, and I mean punch like you're trying to knock someone out and your shoulder and bicep should hit there head

It honestly takes a very long time to get a back step down but the rotation style hip toss is the easiest to learn imo. This coach explains it well

Nice video. I've never been able to make the headlock at 13:20 work. I usually don't want to give the underhook in the first place, but my timing just feels off when I attempt the throw and I end up either being reversed or abandoning the throw when I notice it isn't going my way. Is this more of a timing issue on my part?

There's a million "hip tosses" so it's hard to pinpoint how to help you not knowing what throw you're having difficulty with.

But.

Having them fully off balance where they can't control their momentum in the throw. So many times people try to finish a throw with muscle instead of good mechanics.

Being solidly under their center of gravity when you throw.

If they're grabbing you, your base needs to be solid, so again mechanics in motion. It's harder for them to keep grip with centrifugal force dissipating through them than it is for you to stay in the middle with a good stable base and keep your posture.

I like cutting the leg(s) trapping the inside knee(carefully) or using my hip low to cut their center.

It's a practice feel thing you gotta do a million times till you "feel" where you have them compromised and you are solid.

Try it with a partner without resistance till you can whip them over(trade off and be thrown to make it fair) Then amp up the resistance in increasing degrees so you have to work to find that same Tori/Uke position where you can whip them over.

Nice video. I've never been able to make the headlock at 13:20 work. I usually don't want to give the underhook in the first place, but my timing just feels off when I attempt the throw and I end up either being reversed or abandoning the throw when I notice it isn't going my way. Is this more of a timing issue on my part?
I'd have to see your headlock. But it's probably timing too

There's a million "hip tosses" so it's hard to pinpoint how to help you not knowing what throw you're having difficulty with.

But.

Having them fully off balance where they can't control their momentum in the throw. So many times people try to finish a throw with muscle instead of good mechanics.

Being solidly under their center of gravity when you throw.

If they're grabbing you, your base needs to be solid, so again mechanics in motion. It's harder for them to keep grip with centrifugal force dissipating through them than it is for you to stay in the middle with a good stable base and keep your posture.

I like cutting the leg(s) trapping the inside knee(carefully) or using my hip low to cut their center.

It's a practice feel thing you gotta do a million times till you "feel" where you have them compromised and you are solid.

Try it with a partner without resistance till you can whip them over(trade off and be thrown to make it fair) Then amp up the resistance in increasing degrees so you have to work to find that same Tori/Uke position where you can whip them over.

This is usually how I attempt my hip throws, very deep hips. So the goal is to essentially remain standing after I throw in order to not get rolled through? I have to get lower and make sure they can't step around me essentially?

think of the arc you're throwing them through. if the arc is shallow, they'll have a lot of forward momentum. the steeper the arc, the more downward momentum they'll have. for control, rather than throwing them over and away from you, you want to think about throwing them down/underneath of you.

hopping off of the throw really helps too. staying standing means you're bending over at the end of the throw, so when uke hits the ground your center of gravity shifts forward. if you hop off the throw after uke's gone past the midpoint, your center of gravity will drop straight down.

tlndr the less you 'roll' and more you 'drop', the less they roll and the more they drop.

This is usually how I attempt my hip throws, very deep hips. So the goal is to essentially remain standing after I throw in order to not get rolled through? I have to get lower and make sure they can't step around me essentially?

You don't have to stay standing. But the motion of how you finish matters a lot. If you're finishing by rolling through, you're going to end up on bottom. If you're finishing by turning uke over in the air after you've lifted with your hips, making it less of a roll and more of a lift and turn, you can usually stay on top.

Ignore summer strikers advice unless you are extremely big and haven't heard anything from the other wrestlers or judoka

Being big gives me a huge advantage when getting under people for hip throws. ;)

If you ever wonder why I don't always respond to your vapid comments, normally it is because I don't think your reading comprehension lets you follow the conversation and it isn't worth my time to walk it back and explain it to you.

Being big gives me a huge advantage when getting under people for hip throws. ;)

If you ever wonder why I don't always respond to your vapid comments, normally it is because I don't think your reading comprehension lets you follow the conversation and it isn't worth my time to walk it back and explain it to you.
I follow well enough..I actually waited a long time before commenting on your bs. I just genuinely have a problem with unqualified people trying to "coach" or coach above what they actually are qualified to comment on. Regardless of sport or martial art. Especially when the person only trains in local gyms doesn't compete and argues with people who actually have experience because you fatsoed your way through it against a barely trained opponent

If I took your tact I'd be Bragging about beating high school kids i was bigger than, in practice and what techniques I can get away with. You know what I'm sorry that I'm being a meanie:(:confused:, you should start posting technique videos like Dan since you are so qualified

Thank you, i appreciate it.
I'll give examples of what I'm talking about. You don't put caveats or say this is my experience usually.. you go declare what is best, what actually works for everyone and instead of a actually being able to properly frame the technique discussion or give technology advice your idea of concepts is "well because I'm fat I can do hip tosses easier" which doesn't actually answer the question or whether it is applicable to anyone else. From your own accounts you care more about "Winning practice" than development or how to actually develop fundamentals because you just a are gym warrior. There are multiple reasons for why I have a problem with "how" you say things as much as "what" you say.. based of long years of experience, having good coaches in bjj and wrestling, and actually coaching.

There's nothing wrong with being a weekend warrior btw. There are just certain realities.

I know this will seem mean, nitpicking and "vapid" to you. If you like I can go back through it, if your reading comprehension is failing you. I do believe in reciprocity

I just saw an apology in that post. I don't know what the above is all about.

Like I said if your reading comprehension is failing and can't understand sarcasm we can go back through it. Sorry I call a spade a spade. I know you disagree

Especially when the person only trains in local gyms doesn't compete and argues with people who actually have experience because you fatsoed your way through it against a barely trained opponent
75adacc1_2ns25vs.gif

Back