How to fix USA boxing?

doubleg

I will reak
Banned
Reaction score
I remember as 12 yo boy in 2010. Seeing clips of USA USA USA chants as another american won a pointless belt. Carrying 20 belts with him when there's only 4 people care about. Is it the style of boxing competitor's. So defensive fighters emulating maywether. Or the sluggish college athlete trying to squeeze as much money as he can with his limited skills. Mexican style v maywether style. Or is the athletes going to mma. Pc culture of no violence except beating a hooker in gta.

Or is it American nostalgia killing the present? Who knows. All I know you guys charge way too much for ppv. For fights no 1 asked 4. 80 bucks 80 bucks. Jeez not like there's a world class undercard.

Culturally, especially these days, prizefighting is seen as low brow. It's a sport for the working class, a way out of the slums for most. Violence is universally frowned upon, so ppl may watch a Floyd fight, a canelo fight and enjoy it.

But to appreciate it outside of the mega-matchups and established names is rare for most

Its very true I grew up watching boxing but that was mainly because the yearly wheat harvests were declining leading to starvation problems so the government funded matches at the boxeseum. In retrospect the violence really distracted us from the problems facing us at home and the sporting atmosphere gave us a great pride and appreciation for the emperor.

As I am now a representative in the senate I am too busy attending “eyes wide shut” type parties and skimming millions from taxes to be bothered with boxeseum fights.

I remember as 12 yo boy in 2010. Seeing clips of USA USA USA chants as another american won a pointless belt. Carrying 20 belts with him when there's only 4 people care about. Is it the style of boxing competitor's. So defensive fighters emulating maywether. Or the sluggish college athlete trying to squeeze as much money as he can with his limited skills. Mexican style v maywether style. Or is the athletes going to mma. Pc culture of no violence except beating a hooker in gta.

Or is it American nostalgia killing the present? Who knows. All I know you guys charge way too much for ppv. For fights no 1 asked 4. 80 bucks 80 bucks. Jeez not like there's a world class undercard.
There's 2 world title fights on the undercard.

The sports scene has changed in all sports.Interest in all sports has dropped. Too many trolls. The newer generations are too busy on social media. Look around you at your next ppv and you’ll notice only the older dudes care about the fight, anyone under 24 years old is on their phone. I’m 34 and all my viewing buddies are older than me. For boxing it’s even Worse.

The UFC muscled in on boxings turf in the US in the 00s. Now a lot of white Americans under 40 perceive boxing to be an archaic boring old man sport thats perpetually dying and full of corruption, they also view boxers as less "tough" and legit ("how would Floyd handle a double leg?" etc etc). MMA is more instantly gratifying for casuals - people fighting in a cage, lots of blood, lots of flash KOs etc. Plus its easier for casuals to keep track of due to the UFC being marketed as a brand and almost having a monopoly on the sport. If you only have a passing interest in boxing you can easily miss lots of significant fights because they're happening all over the world and across so many different promotions. All you'll hear about is Mayweather, who is considered boring, or the GGG/Canelo fights with the judging controversy.

Another thing is the HW division shifting away from America after 2000. Its supposed to be the marquee division but all of a sudden most of the big HW fights were happening outside of the US and the top fighters were Eastern Euros who werent particularly exciting in or out of the ring.

Lastly, PPV becoming the norm in the 90s possibly didnt help, especially considering it was harder to watch stuff illegally back then. Granted, the effects didnt really seem to show until the 00s, probably because the 90s was still a pretty stacked era with lots of American stars.

As for how to fix it, DAZN might be a positive step particularly if they dont start charging extra to watch Canelo. Fury/Wilder was kind of half positive (making the fight) and half negative (charging $75 for it), but the seeds to revitalize American interest in the HW division are there.

Jesus Christ, you were 12 in 2010?

There are a few reasons why American boxing is dead.

-Too much pre-fight hype for fights that don't deliver
-Corrupt Judges
-Boring fighter personalities who can't string a sentence together
-Weak social media engagement

another insecure and pointless POV thread because Dec. 1st, tomorrow, a big fight is happening. American boxing fans are more gangsta... when AJ fought Povetkin, there were no threads from American insecurity as to downplay the fight. At the very least maybe some Pro Povetkin, but no threads like ''UK boxing is pathetic because....''

USA boxing doesn't need fixing because it isn't broke.

Next year will see more accessibility to boxing than ever before. DAZN have over 40 cards planned between Matchroom and Golden Boy alone, let alone WBSS. Fox and Showtime have 34 planned with PPVs on top. ESPN have a stupid high amount of cards planned per year. 12 months ago, none of this was in the works. In 12 months time, boxing in the US could be in a stronger position than ever.

In my opinion, the biggest problem for boxing has been the lack of content compared to other sports. This won't be a problem anymore.

USA boxing doesn't need fixing because it isn't broke.

Next year will see more accessibility to boxing than ever before. DAZN have over 40 cards planned between Matchroom and Golden Boy alone, let alone WBSS. Fox and Showtime have 34 planned with PPVs on top. ESPN have a stupid high amount of cards planned per year. 12 months ago, none of this was in the works. In 12 months time, boxing in the US could be in a stronger position than ever.

In my opinion, the biggest problem for boxing has been the lack of content compared to other sports. This won't be a problem anymore.
This. Ignore all the above comments new readers.

This. Ignore all the above comments new readers.
What he’s saying is true in a sense, but for boxing to occupy a stronger position in the near future, promoters have to put on entertaining and enthusiastically supported cards. That’s been a problem so far for DAZN. The Matchroom US cards have been uniformly poor and contested in near empty arenas with zero atmosphere. My worry is that casual fans tuning in to watch Jarell Miller fight in front of 250 Kansans will conclude the sport is dead and will never tune in again.

In a dream scenario put together a super card on network tv the wk before the super bowl. It’s a dead wkend for sport. Obviously promoters would never go for it

The UFC muscled in on boxings turf in the US in the 00s. Now a lot of white Americans under 40 perceive boxing to be an archaic boring old man sport thats perpetually dying and full of corruption, they also view boxers as less "tough" and legit ("how would Floyd handle a double leg?" etc etc). MMA is more instantly gratifying for casuals - people fighting in a cage, lots of blood, lots of flash KOs etc. Plus its easier for casuals to keep track of due to the UFC being marketed as a brand and almost having a monopoly on the sport. If you only have a passing interest in boxing you can easily miss lots of significant fights because they're happening all over the world and across so many different promotions. All you'll hear about is Mayweather, who is considered boring, or the GGG/Canelo fights with the judging controversy.
No one watches MMA though, and they have shit numbers outside of Conor, who's going the way of Rousey by losing in the cage and also losing the fans interest.
MMA is basically dead. The fanbase of casuals in the mid 00's got bored of it.
The only sport I've seen people act like they are big fans of it, and within a year or two, have no clue whats going on.
I never see that with any other sport. No one loves football one day and forgets about it the next day.
MMA was a fad.

another insecure and pointless POV thread because Dec. 1st, tomorrow, a big fight is happening. American boxing fans are more gangsta... when AJ fought Povetkin, there were no threads from American insecurity as to downplay the fight. At the very least maybe some Pro Povetkin, but no threads like ''UK boxing is pathetic because....''
Fuck me! I'm actually in agreement with GOAT Fucker, why are there all these threads about how bad American boxing is?? Seems to be the same people making the threads as well.

Fuck me! I'm actually in agreement with GOAT Fucker, why are there all these threads about how bad American boxing is?? Seems to be the same people making the threads as well.
yh me bruh... british view innit. use to regard american boxing as the elite... no 1 could touch them. now ehh its satisfactory

yh me bruh... british view innit. use to regard american boxing as the elite... no 1 could touch them. now ehh its satisfactory
Yeah but why so many threads about it just before a big fight with a British and an American protagonist? Have you just only thought of these views? I dread to think how many you'll make if AJ vs Wilder gets announced.

No one watches MMA though, and they have shit numbers outside of Conor, who's going the way of Rousey by losing in the cage and also losing the fans interest.
MMA is basically dead. The fanbase of casuals in the mid 00's got bored of it.
The only sport I've seen people act like they are big fans of it, and within a year or two, have no clue whats going on.
I never see that with any other sport. No one loves football one day and forgets about it the next day.
MMA was a fad.

Dont get me wrong, I think MMA has turned a corner in the last 5-6 years where it doesnt have that same buzz that it used to. The novelty factor of MMA has worn off and it doesnt feel like some young new sport breaking through into the mainstream anymore. Its also kind of lost its identity as its become more mainstream accepted. People make fun of the whole Just Bleed, Tapout shirt wearing dudebro "TIME TO END THIS SUFFERING" thing but that used to be MMAs distinct identity and it contrasted a lot with boxing, then in the strive to look more "professional" and gain mainstream acceptance they got rid off that and now its become fairly generic.

So yeah, not saying everything is great in the MMA camp either, (I actually prefer boxing), but theres no doubt that boxing is having to share the spotlight with MMA in the US now (and in many ways MMA has the bigger share of it) which wasnt the case 20 years ago.

Yeah but why so many threads about it just before a big fight with a British and an American protagonist? Have you just only thought of these views? I dread to think how many you'll make if AJ vs Wilder gets announced.
oh man... ill be pumped... im probs an equal fan of aj and fury.. aj i think he represents the country a whole better globally.. but having a northern family with an irish/welsh background means a lot because people from our backgrounds dont get a lot from life.

Why do these threads always come up when big boxing fights are going take place

Is this Dana's new nov 2018 account ?
$alty becuase of De la Hoya?
Dazn ?

Back