How to deal with guys with something to prove in your gym?

I have a friend who is a road rager. He's a good guy but I absolutely hate this aspect of his personality. He takes it a personal insult if someone tries to merge in front of him. It's absolutely retarded. I mean who gives a fuck right?

TS's situation reminds me of that.

I have R.R. but it's because I don't like that someone thinks I deserve to die because they want to text and swerve in my lane.

But I also don't like people who floor their gas pedal and flip out anytime a car tries to merge.

never had a problem like that tbh whenever i notice someone tryna squre up i put an end to it real quick. they cant compete with me when i turn it up its all about being an alpha

Bring a knife and stab them in the stomach when they come up to give you advice, then stab their eyes, gouge out the balls and blow your wad over their corpse before burning it with kerosene

Or you could just ask them to stop

Tell them your you beat noobs for a living

It depends on the context and situation... Like others here have said.

If you're a newbie and you're being a cocky know-it-all, that's one thing; you need to humble yourself.

If they're actually being douchey about it ignore it. Try to engage someone else in a convo perhaps so they won't talk to you, leave, talk to someone on the phone, or any other "do not disturb" action until they forget.

That said, I know when I started Martial Arts it was annoying because I thought that nothing ever pleased my instructor. He was nitpicky but at the end of the day the point is to help you improve. Take what they say into consideration before dismissing it.

cock punching, crying, running, saying sorry a lot, crying more, cockpunching more, ignoring them, hugging them while crying.

F9kjla.gif

True MMA Fact:

In the early part of the 20th century, the 16 gauge shotgun was known as "The Gentleman's Gauge."

Wait, WTF??? That's not MMA related at all. And it's actually true.

That's just not like me at all.

if you're getting a "pep talk" after a sparring session then they think they got the better of you, somebody who got their ass kicked wouldn't be like that
you want it stop? let em know they aint shit i mean no need to do anything drastic but assert yourself and dominate in the sparring

I know, stupid question, don't have to remind me, answer if you want to, but don't troll. In my gym, we spar hard pretty much every class because of some stupid guys with big egos. Good thing is, these guys are bad and get their asses handed to them, still, every fucking time we finish sparring they come up to me trying to give me some pep talk and point out my mistakes (Kind of how CM Punk did with Mickey Gall). I know i could just beat them down but i'm not that kind of person. How should i deal with this situation to make them stop, peacefully?

Say "thanks man, but I just kicked your ass".

If that doesn't work, kick their ass again and offer them a pep talk on what they are doing wrong.

Hard to do, they won't fold so you really only have force.

Normally I give 2 chances, they go too hard, I tell them twice, and if they don't give in, I do a exibition match with them.

You need to put them in their place, if not it will mess with the order of the gym. They'll think its okay to do what they do, and the end result with everyone else matching them, will have a gym full of gym heroes with KO sparring as the norm.

I used to be more polite in the past. Now, unless it comes from somebody I repspect which it almost never does, I just wave them off and tell them I'm not intetested. There's nothing worse than an unwanted smart arse.

LOL, it's the same the world over...

I'd use the sparring time to work on specifics if I know I can get the better of my partner. So without letting it be obvious I handicap myself and limit to specific counters or offense to sharpen them. When I want to fold everything in together just work them easy but pepper them mercilessly. The point is not to let the mental aspect get in the way of your focus on what you are doing.

Mental flat line man!

On the other hand I only work with a few people who are at my level. We've put in the time to get good and respect that commitment. I'd go 10 times as hard against one of the crew and know they can deliver the same, than beat down a scrub. All the gyms I've visited seem to have that system till you prove you're not a douche bag and can stand up in the ring or the mat.

Bottom line is it's frustrating as hell but building a crew that trains together puts the ego's aside or uses them to fuel development and friendly competitiveness is the answer.

A lot of people will say beat the crap out of them, but if you do than they've controlled your emotions and got the better of you in the mental game.

Good luck and chill!

There's a couple relatively mild things you can do about this and they DO work:

1. Turn around and walk away (get a drink of water or anything). Do this EVERY time as soon as they start. Start softly humming an indistinct tune, this will jam whatever they were going to say. That should be enough for 1000/1001 cases.

If they follow you stick your hand limply out with a "NAAAWP" and then pause (<--vital) and then whisper "thank you", and continue, all without making eye contact. They WILL get the hint and follow it whether they like it or not.

2. Stare them straight in the face and make the "SHhhhhh..." gesture. Be sure to also make the accompanying sound to the gesture and trail off. Then start adjusting your shin straps or hand wraps, etc. That should be enough in 99% of the cases, because it makes them look clingy and weak if they persist.

If they're so bold as to ask what the fuk ur problem is, you whisper "only dreams now" and grin pleasantly like a 50's mom brushing her child's hair while tending to your gear for a second, angled away from them.

NO CAN DEFEND

I know, stupid question, don't have to remind me, answer if you want to, but don't troll. In my gym, we spar hard pretty much every class because of some stupid guys with big egos. Good thing is, these guys are bad and get their asses handed to them, still, every fucking time we finish sparring they come up to me trying to give me some pep talk and point out my mistakes (Kind of how CM Punk did with Mickey Gall). I know i could just beat them down but i'm not that kind of person. How should i deal with this situation to make them stop, peacefully?

Last edited:
Back