How much, in your opinion, does work ethic play a role in weight training?

Ranked in order of importance:

2) Genetics - A genetically gifted individual training in a basic and unsophisticated way, or even stupidly, will probably get stronger and bigger than someone with shitty genetics training in some elaborate way.
I've always stuck Woodley in this category. He looks like he would sit on benches after half assing a workout just stopping the flow of the room. Doing 2 of 5 workouts and reaping 150% of benefits.

People over the course of time have done some of the most atrocious programs at least according to modern science and got strong. If it is not causing debilitating injury and you are quantifiably making progress then yes hard work definitely works.

Consistently getting into the gym to train, is arguably the single-biggest factor to making progress. So in that regard, work ethic is everything.

But if we're assuming that all trainees love getting in the gym and moving weight, then genetics, drugs, programming, and diet all probably play a more important role.

In short; there is no simple answer, and many confounding variables.

Consistently getting into the gym to train, is arguably the single-biggest factor to making progress. So in that regard, work ethic is everything.

But if we're assuming that all trainees love getting in the gym and moving weight, then genetics, drugs, programming, and diet all probably play a more important role.

In short; there is no simple answer, and many confounding variables.

Great post.

There really are some idiots out there who come up with the stupidest training programs and perform the lifts with the most atrocious form. At that degree of stupidity, no amount of work ethic will save them from never making gains unless they do their research.

But assuming we're talking about reasonable people who are willing to learn from more experienced people, and who are willing to read good stuff from books and the internet, who do end up doing a good training program... At that point, how much does work ethic play a role in their success in their recreational lifting career?

What do you think?

Thank you. I'd really like to hear people's opinions here. Especially the ones who've been training for over two years.
Honestly I think consistency and getting to know when your body is being pushed (without risking injury) is key.

When I lift in the gym I never spend more than 40 minutes there. Just hit up the equipment I want, 3-4 sets each, 2 minute break between sets and I'm done.

Today was leg day for me, spent under 30 minutes there and I feel like a goddamn superhero on my feet. :)

Back