How much, in your opinion, does work ethic play a role in weight training?

@SocraticMethod

Also, Robert Greene, my favorite author, talked about the same thing in your recommended book. He said something like talent has more to do with your ability to tolerate the rigors of your chosen endeavor than raw ability. It was in his book “Mastery.”

@SocraticMethod

Also, Robert Greene, my favorite author, talked about the same thing in your recommended book. He said something like talent has more to do with your ability to tolerate the rigors of your chosen endeavor than raw ability. It was in his book “Mastery.”

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Talent is Overrated might reference Mastery. If not, something else I read did.

Baby Hanma. Do you eat balut?

Oh fuck I love it!!! Oh my God yes!!!

How did you know I was Filipino??

Dude, balut is the best! As long as you are able to ignore the fact that you are eating duck fetus!

There really are some idiots out there who come up with the stupidest training programs and perform the lifts with the most atrocious form. At that degree of stupidity, no amount of work ethic will save them from never making gains unless they do their research.

But assuming we're talking about reasonable people who are willing to learn from more experienced people, and who are willing to read good stuff from books and the internet, who do end up doing a good training program... At that point, how much does work ethic play a role in their success in their recreational lifting career?

What do you think?

Thank you. I'd really like to hear people's opinions here. Especially the ones who've been training for over two years.
Consistency matters most in making strides in the strength and conditioning realm. So consistent work ethic definitely matters if someone is looking to improve. Consistent learning, consistent training, consistent experimentation to see what works best.

Consistency matters most in making strides in the strength and conditioning realm. So consistent work ethic definitely matters if someone is looking to improve. Consistent learning, consistent training, consistent experimentation to see what works best.

Yes. What the Stoics call "stamina and perseverance". It's just that I have to get down to your level and speak in Tony Robbins lingo in order for you people to comprehend what I'm saying. But yeah.

Consistency is the shit, brah!

Don’t church it up dirt. But yes, stamina and perseverance are the same as consistency

Don’t church it up dirt. But yes, stamina and perseverance are the same as consistency

I’m not even close to churching it up. If I was truly churching things up, I’d tell you to summon the angels of discipline to manifest a 400-pound squat in six months. I can talk that way, but I may accidentally start a cult. That shit is not my style.

Work ethic is literally everything. You have to be able to train effectively even when you don't want to.

And this is why it's my destiny to become the strongest masters division grandpa powerlifter here in Idaho.

Watch out, young ladies! Master Roshi is coming! Daddy will welcome you soon!

I'm saying you have no real accomplishments as a lifter. I am sure I can lift more than you despite training for only a year.

Those who take the easy way out in training and decide to do fun stuff instead of the real stuff, just like you, will always be mediocre lifters who win combat sports because of Diaz-like trickery.

Real men do hard stuff. Hard stuff is never fun.

I don't wanna make waves but you're a fucking idiot bro.

The people who learn to enjoy weight training are the ones who have achieved the magical "flow state" that psychologists talk about. That only happens after a year of consistent training. No one ever enjoys weight training in their first year. It's a chore even to the ones passionate about it.

I'm at a point right now where my mind is already thinking about the hot babes who'll appreciate my big quads in the middle of a heavy squat set. That's enjoyment. To the newbies, just the act of finishing that heavy squat set requires a lot of mental effort.

You sound like a out of shape guy with no friends (and definitely no girlfriends) who lives on a computer and found out you can talk shit here.

Oh fuck I love it!!! Oh my God yes!!!

How did you know I was Filipino??

Dude, balut is the best! As long as you are able to ignore the fact that you are eating duck fetus!

Yes. What the Stoics call "stamina and perseverance". It's just that I have to get down to your level and speak in Tony Robbins lingo in order for you people to comprehend what I'm saying. But yeah.

Consistency is the shit, brah!

I'm imagining a 5 foot 7 chubby Filipino guy who probably wears weight lifting gloves while he does bench press walking around the gym like he's Ngannou because he can finally bench press 135 lbs and giving out a bunch of unwanted advice to everyone because he's a stoic genius.

I think work ethic is everything. If you have good work ethic you will find out the correct tehnique sooner or later unless your an idiot. If you work out hard, eat good, lift heavy ass weights. The resulfs will come no matter what routine your on

I think work ethic is everything. If you have good work ethic you will find out the correct tehnique sooner or later unless your an idiot. If you work out hard, eat good, lift heavy ass weights. The resulfs will come no matter what routine your on

Great advice! You are worthy of your mustache!

Ranked in order of importance:

1) Consistency and putting in actual effort - A semi-retarded program applied consistently and with great focus/effort will probably give better results than a great program where you're fucking around one month on, one month off, and just going through the motions.

2) Genetics - A genetically gifted individual training in a basic and unsophisticated way, or even stupidly, will probably get stronger and bigger than someone with shitty genetics training in some elaborate way.

3) Programming - Shitty programming and stupid methods will get in the way of progress, produce injuries, excess fatigue, stalling, and so on, especially after the initial easy gains happen.

0) Zygos. If you have bad zygos, you’re destined to fail whatever you do. This is condition zero for being an actual human male.

Back