How much does your high school experience affect you in adulthood?

Seahawks Fan

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
How much do you think a person's experience in high school affect them in adulthood?

At least half the staff hated me from the day I stepped foot on campus as they lost their "Party Vice Principal" to the School Board for searching my older sister without another faculty or law enforcement present and my Mom made it an issue. My sister was a wild one and had drugs on her and he found them, but he broke the law in the search. About half the staff took it out on me. I didn't know why until my Junior year, but just knew I was getting shit on and acted out with a variety of pranks and acts that I mostly got away with.

I disrupted a rally by passing out 2 dozen eggs prior so when the lights went out the egging of the Seniors began. We didn't get anymore rallies my Sophomore year. I did a Bowman to a Fire Alarm. I wedged in the entire 300 wing classroom doors with wood wedges, so they couldn't get out of their classrooms. I hung a teacher's bike by the flagpole in the room, I got busted for that one. I pissed in a cup and put it on top of the bathroom door which the shitty Drafting teacher walked into. I got the Swim Coach to dive into the pool to "save me" and got booted off the top Swim Team around that produced many Olympians (busted as well). I regretted that one. I got booted from the Soccer team, where I was a top player, for embarrassing the coach and proving a point. It went on and on.

However, to this day I have about 10 or so high school friends that I am still close with. We were the rebel crowd that were outcasts and become popular by our Senior year when everyone became tired of the "popular rich kids" bullshit. I couldn't wait for it to be over. They even threatened to not let me walk stage, which I was 100% good with, but then rescinded their decision, much to my chagrin and my Mom made me do it. I had hundreds of hours of Work Service, which you got for doing bad shit or for not doing your Work Service... so mine compounded and grew to a huge amount. It frosted them also when I wouldn't take the SATs because I knew I was going to a J.C. and it wasn't necessary. I was in the top 5% of my class on all other standardized testing and my school boasted high SAT scores. I cut school to snow ski, water ski, hunt, or whatever activity was going on with my best friends (two brothers). When it came to the staff, I hated high school. When it came to my friends and activities, it was pretty awesome.

High School was pretty much forgettable for me. I had really bad social anxiety during that time. So I missed so many opportunities. Did it shape me to who I am even right now. I'd say not as much as my early childhood. But it did have a significant effect. Although, It is what it is. I have no regrets.

HS was nice. No (real) responsibilities. Girls being impressed with my 1989 Camry station wagon. I went to a new school in a suburban area so no gangs or anything. And there was no such thing as a smartphone yet (although cellphones were common).
Or maybe I'm just nostalgic for that period (late 90s-early 00s). Such an awesome time to be a teenager.

The more it does I would gather you prob have depression issues. It’s not healthy to dwell in the past. At least to the extent you ignore the present. Reminiscing is fine just limit alcohol consumption when doing so.
Imho

Didn't have much of one. I started working when I was 15 and never finished 3 months of 9th grade. Got my GED at 17 and by 19 I had 4 years work experience and already an Associates degree. One of the best decisions I ever made fuck high school.

I mean it literally sets you up to have options in your adult life. Loved HS, loved post secondary as well. Made the most out of both.

I fucking hated it, started to develop my lifelong insomnia in highschool, didn't deal with it well. It didn't change me or really affect the rest of my life though. I haven't seen anyone from my highschool in about five years, don't care to either.

Highschool didn't fuck me up, I fucked myself up, much like @Pliny Pete .

Sometimes you make decisions and don't realize how long they'll stay with you.
Then you spend an inordinate amount of time trying to untangle the knot you created.

At the end of the day life goes on and hopefully you're smarter for it.

I'm thinking about going back and restarting from Freshman year on up..

ChTAVSeW0AAjg33.jpg

Got expelled from HS during the 1st qtr of Freshman and Sophomore years for truancy. Most brilliant shit ever said to a 13yo, "You don't want to come to School, so we wont let you." Ha, I showed them, got my GED in an orange jumpsuit when I turned 16.

Not sure. It was a better experience for me than middle school and maybe elementary too. How much it affects someone in adulthood varies from person-to-person and ultimately it's a formative experience like everything else soooo... I dunno.

Back