How much do you spend on eating out?

I think you are getting confused about who your 'family' is.

There is your wife. There is your son. Then there are 7.34 billion other people to be used as human shields to benefit and protect your wife and son. You may like some more than others, but they are all disposable human shields compared to your wife and son.

If money is an issue, stop going out altogether, and invite them all over to your house for a dinner every couple weeks. You will save 80% and have a better time when you are with them.
My brother and parents are family. Its called immediate family. But, I love your idea!!! Thanks

I mainly eat out for food i can't really make (or conveniently make/efficiently make) at home unless its a social situation. What I wish is there would be more "self serve" type establishments as in basically kitchen staff only, I don't eat out at all for the service or atmosphere but you basically have to pay for it anyways and also takes more time.

Last edited:
Probably only $300-$400. I can live without knowing the exact amount.

In the U.K., it's waste of money much of the time. Unless you're paying for Michelin-starred food, it's rarely worth the money. I'd much rather cook at home, where I'm not trying to do things on the cheap in an effort to make a profit.

I love eating out but its a huge waste of resources. Biggest way i can personally save money is by cooking my own meals. And the thing is, many restaurant foods arent worth the premium if you have basic cooking skills.

Couldn't agree more regarding the food. When I eat out, I often pay more attention to the atmosphere than to the food, because I know that no restaurant food is ever going to be able to compare to cooking exactly what I want, exactly how I like it. Preference trumps skill.

A restaurant with a great atmosphere that suits your mood is a great experience, though, as long as the food is even decent. But I imagine it would lose its charm if I ate out more often. I like keeping eating out a little special.

When I was working in Dublin, my per diem for food was 200 euro. Before I went that sounded like a ridiculous number; it isn't.

How is 200 euro per day for food not ridiculous?

About 40 or so per week day
Weekends i dont remember a few hundred

I mainly eat out for food i can't really make (or conveniently make/efficiently make) at home unless its a social situation. What I wish is there would be more "self serve" type establishments as in basically kitchen staff only, I don't eat out at all for the service or atmosphere but you basically have to pay for it anyways and also takes more time.
There kind of is, it's called fast casual. Places like Fazoli's, Five Guys, Panera, Boston Market, Culvers and what not. The food is a little better then fast food but you don't have to tip either. Not every meal you eat needs to be at a five star restaurant to get good food. Who has time to sit at a restaurant for an hour at a time every time you go out?

Back