How many wins would max need to pass khabib?

Max is too tough for his own good. I am a big fan and I still think he has some years of elite performance at FW, but man is this a bad move to go up to LW to face Gaethje. Even if he wins, that top 5 of LW is a gauntlet and if he gets to a TS, he will have his hands full with Makhachev.
I agree that he might have a few years of elite performance. I think he is slightly slipping though. I still think he is right there at the top. It just might mean that his fights are closer, he takes more damage or he eventually gets beat by someone who he would beat at his very best. I think Gaethje wins but I can see a path to victory for Max. It's a high risk fight for Max. It's why I love him even though I don't agree with the career move.

MMA fans like to wave off loses like they don't matter, Oliveira has almost 10 losses by stoppage and people still consider him a GOAT candidate, it's very weird. Max has simply lost too many times to be at the highest echelon.

Max is what I call a "third tier" great. The first tier are guys like GSP, JBJ, Silva, DJ, arguably Khabib. Second tier are guys like Aldo, Volk, Usman, BJ Penn, Khabib (if you don't put him in first tier). Third tier is where you have guys like Holloway.
Not just lost but lost in his prime.

I mean....

BJ would have to be alot lower if we are going to heavily factor in losses....
True, there are other factors that affect it, BJ gets credit as a pioneer and the overall impact he had on the sport. Also, BJ wasn't losing at the peak of his prime the way Max is.

True, there are other factors that affect it, BJ gets credit as a pioneer and the overall impact he had on the sport. Also, BJ wasn't losing at the peak of his prime the way Max is.
I mean he was at his peak when he lost to Hughes and GSP,but you could see that LW was his optimum weight class,and that despite losing those fights,he looked like the better fighter than both of them in those fights,the second hughes and first gsp fiight, I mean. SO context does matter.

I mean he was at his peak when he lost to Hughes and GSP,but you could see that LW was his optimum weight class,and that despite losing those fights,he looked like the better fighter than both of them in those fights,the second hughes and first gsp fiight, I mean. SO context does matter.
Yeah i meant at his weight class, there was nobody beating BJ at 155 when he was at his prime. Holloway lost 3 times to the same guy (even though i had him winning the 2nd fight).

Yeah i meant at his weight class, there was nobody beating BJ at 155 when he was at his prime. Holloway lost 3 times to the same guy (even though i had him winning the 2nd fight).
yeaaaahhh

but goddamn volk is so good. You wind up just feelin bad for max having to be in the same weight class with such an exceptional warrior than thinking max should be a better fighter than he already was

He doesn't pass him. At least in the eyes of many.

No one (sensible) is putting khabib above max on a goat list.

Any sensible top 15 goat list does not have khabib on it.

MMA Junkie has Nurmagomedov at 5 and Holloway at 19 https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2023/11/ufc-greatest-fighters-georges-st-pierre-no-1
Jon Jones has Nurmagomedov at 5 https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/list...fighters-all-time-khabib-st-pierre-silva-aldo
Nurmagomedov does not have Holoway in his top 20 https://www.sportbible.com/mma/khab...r, Khabib posted,Dominic Cruz/Frankie Edgar."
Dillashaw and Rampage have Nurmagomedov at 5-6 and Holloway at 23
Nurmagomedov's consensus seems to be around 5

MMA Junkie has Nurmagomedov at 5 and Holloway at 19 https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2023/11/ufc-greatest-fighters-georges-st-pierre-no-1
Jon Jones has Nurmagomedov at 5 https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/list...fighters-all-time-khabib-st-pierre-silva-aldo
Nurmagomedov does not have Holoway in his top 20 https://www.sportbible.com/mma/khabib-nurmagomedov-names-top-15-goats-619276-20230413#:~:text=Taking to Twitter, Khabib posted,Dominic Cruz/Frankie Edgar."
Dillashaw and Rampage have Nurmagomedov at 5-6 and Holloway at 23
Nurmagomedov's consensus seems to be around 5

I don’t care what bunch of retards think at all. Jones list doesn’t even have Mighty Mouse which is retarded sorry not sorry not interested in any of these stupid lists they are simply not sensible

If Max beats Gaethje and then rematches Conor and beat Conor i'd give him the nod. Those are Khabibs two best W's.

If Max beats Gaethje and then rematches Conor and beat Conor i'd give him the nod. Those are Khabibs two best W's.
Khabib's best win is RDA. Thats one of the most underrated wins in the entire UFC history. Khabib ragdolled a prime RDA that ended up becoming LW champ 9 months later. RDA was on something like a 5 fight win streak before losing to Khabib, he then went on a 5 fight win streak after losing to Khabib.

I don’t care what bunch of retards think at all. Jones list doesn’t even have Mighty Mouse which is retarded sorry not sorry not interested in any of these stupid lists they are simply not sensible
I am sure retarded Jon Jones and Nurmagomedov are waiting for your "sensible" list

I am sure retarded Jon Jones and Nurmagomedov are waiting for your "sensible" list
MMA fighters are always going to have lists that are biased. Fuck did you see dcs all time combat sports list with Khabib at 2?

Jon jones is a drunk, drug addict who gets arrested biannually.

Khabib is a backwards mountain person who doesn’t know jack shit.

Any other questions?

I don't like he never lost argument, i've never lost in a cage either. For example i think Izzy passed Khabib, he was undefeated at 3 defenses just like Khabib so that undefeated bullshit doesn't work against him. Are we going to bury the Izzy just because he kept fighting?

Khabib never having lost is the only thing he has going for him and the only reason people put him anywhere near GOAT conversations.

As far as elite wins go there are multiple guys in every weightclass that have a more impressive resume than his.
Exactly. So moral of the story, if you are undefeated and get 3 title defences, you are better off retiring and never trying to go on impressive streaks like Jones/GSP, because your fans will always cut short any comparison by citing your "dominance"

Khabib's resume is like a poem written by a masterful author, in which every syllable is perfectly constructed.

Max' is like a novel - not every sentece is flawless, but there's more to be entertained by, ups and downs and twist and turns.

In the end it's apples and oranges, it's Mozart or Bach, it's Baudelaire or Hemingway, it's Fedor or Jones, it's movies vs series, it's Oscar vs Emmy.

Thank you and good night.
Nah, Khabib's resume is a Haiku

I don't like he never lost argument, i've never lost in a cage either. For example i think Izzy passed Khabib, he was undefeated at 3 defenses just like Khabib so that undefeated bullshit doesn't work against him. Are we going to bury the Izzy just because he kept fighting?
It's not just the "never lost" aspect, it's the pure dominance, the dude took zero damage and barely lost rounds (lost 1 or 2 close rounds max). Shavkhat also has a perfect record and has finished every opponent unlike Khabib, but he's still taken WAY more damage in the Geoff Neal fight alone than Khabib took in his entire career. What khabib accomplished in terms of dominance (in the toughest division) is damn near impossible.

Back