How long does it take to form a fat lip /for it to heal

a former friend used to be an alcoholic, he mouthed off to some guy when he was drunk and got socked, he never went to a doc but his orbital bone was recessed permanently. the average person hasn't built up any kind of resistance to punishment whatsoever. George Benton said that fighters do build up a tolerance to punches also, and that swelling tends to lessen as that happens.

I could see that when it comes to swelling, never thought about that. Scar tissue with guys that cut easy are the ones that really cause issues. Even surgery doesn't seem to do much for the ones who are susceptible to getting cut up.

I could see that when it comes to swelling, never thought about that. Scar tissue with guys that cut easy are the ones that really cause issues. Even surgery doesn't seem to do much for the ones who are susceptible to getting cut up.
ya, cut resistance is something that seems inherent, but jack dempsey used to soak his face in brine to toughen his skin, i wonder if it really worked. I doubt it.

I've had my nose busted so many times, not even from fighting just from doing stupid shit. This is a really retarded story, and should probably teach everyone here not to take my advice. But one time I busted my nose at a party while a friend of mine was trying to stick a plunger to the top of my head. You see, we'd seen it in cartoons when we were kids and figured it would be good for a laugh. So he slaps that thing on top of my head but nothing. Won't stick. Well duh, it's because I have hair. Solution? Grab a big stew-pot out of the kitchen and put that on my head. So here I am in the living room with a stew pot on my head and I can't see a thing. Another friend of mine said something that I couldn't hear so I started taking the pot off of my head; unfortunately it was at the same time the guy with the plunger jumped off the foyer and brought it down on me. The rim of the pot smashed right down on my nose and blood exploded everywhere. It was awesome. I had to run into the bathroom and straighten it out though, which was not awesome and took a few tries.

I always did a reasonable job getting it back into place after it's gone sideways, but if you look at my face from below you can tell there's a pretty pronounced lean to the left. I've got a pretty big nose though so from the front it isn't noticeable.

Wasn't a great time, to be sure. In a weird way though I'm glad it happened. I came out of it with goals and it helped me grow.

Luckily nothing on my face actually broke aside from my nose, which - like I said - only really needs a stiff breeze anymore to mess it up.

More in spoiler
My roommate was one of my best friends since we were little kids. The way I saw it was that we were pissed, got in a fight where he had the initiative, and that was the end of it. We both knew what happened in there. And he was beside himself with grief. At the time I didn't have any vacation or sick leave with my job, so he paid my salary for two weeks. He also stopped drinking after that (only lasted about 3 years but that was still pretty impressive and gave him some time to work through his problems). We're still friends, and we've been through enough other things that the one bad experience doesn't define everything. You know how you have friends, but you never really know how they're going to act when shit hits the fan? I've been in that situation with him and I know how he reacts; all other things aside he's the kind of guy you want next to you when that happens because his loyalty is seemingly boundless.

I always use boxing as an analogy to tell people that winning isn't always pretty. If I showed someone a picture of Pac's face after the second Marquez fight, the first thought they'd have isn't "that looks like a winner to me." But sometimes winning is ugly and it's only by a few inches.

i've had my nose broken, either once or twice, it's a strange kind of cartilage, not soft but also not bone, my nose leaned to the left a bit after it too. I wondered if it would affect my singing voice, (no joke, i'm a musician) and also thought it might be a chronic issue, i would have had to have had my nostrils worked on because my nose began bleeding at the drop of a hat.

I've had my nose busted so many times, not even from fighting just from doing stupid shit. This is a really retarded story, and should probably teach everyone here not to take my advice. But one time I busted my nose at a party while a friend of mine was trying to stick a plunger to the top of my head. You see, we'd seen it in cartoons when we were kids and figured it would be good for a laugh. So he slaps that thing on top of my head but nothing. Won't stick. Well duh, it's because I have hair. Solution? Grab a big stew-pot out of the kitchen and put that on my head. So here I am in the living room with a stew pot on my head and I can't see a thing. Another friend of mine said something that I couldn't hear so I started taking the pot off of my head; unfortunately it was at the same time the guy with the plunger jumped off the foyer and brought it down on me. The rim of the pot smashed right down on my nose and blood exploded everywhere. It was awesome. I had to run into the bathroom and straighten it out though, which was not awesome and took a few tries.

I always did a reasonable job getting it back into place after it's gone sideways, but if you look at my face from below you can tell there's a pretty pronounced lean to the left. I've got a pretty big nose though so from the front it isn't noticeable.

Wasn't a great time, to be sure. In a weird way though I'm glad it happened. I came out of it with goals and it helped me grow.

Luckily nothing on my face actually broke aside from my nose, which - like I said - only really needs a stiff breeze anymore to mess it up.

More in spoiler
My roommate was one of my best friends since we were little kids. The way I saw it was that we were pissed, got in a fight where he had the initiative, and that was the end of it. We both knew what happened in there. And he was beside himself with grief. At the time I didn't have any vacation or sick leave with my job, so he paid my salary for two weeks. He also stopped drinking after that (only lasted about 3 years but that was still pretty impressive and gave him some time to work through his problems). We're still friends, and we've been through enough other things that the one bad experience doesn't define everything. You know how you have friends, but you never really know how they're going to act when shit hits the fan? I've been in that situation with him and I know how he reacts; all other things aside he's the kind of guy you want next to you when that happens because his loyalty is seemingly boundless.

I always use boxing as an analogy to tell people that winning isn't always pretty. If I showed someone a picture of Pac's face after the second Marquez fight, the first thought they'd have isn't "that looks like a winner to me." But sometimes winning is ugly and it's only by a few inches.

Lool, oh shit! That's a great story, sucks about your nose but that sounds like fun times, not gonna lie. I don't know how old your were when that happened but when me and my friends were in our teens/early 20s we did a bunch of dumb shit. Never tried to stick a plunger on my head, but I do have a few funny stories. One of my buddies almost burned my other friend's barn down with us in it when we were fucked up, onetime ppl said it was impossible to kick yourself in the head, I was drunk, obv and thought they said "knee yourself in the head "for some reason I don't remember exactly what happened but I almost ko'd myself, pretty sure I've concussed myself a few times wit stuff like that having nothing to do with fighting. That plunger story had me laughing my ass off tho, nothing of mine even compares. The way you just went to the br and put it back into place is pretty fucking awesome, too.

Totally get that about you and your buddy. Sometimes shit happens, but at the end of the day it's the ones that you go through the most with that stick with you till the end, even if there's bumps in between, which all friends/family have to go through at some point. That's what makes bonds stronger, in my experience, Then again I've had "friends " one in particular, who I considered like an extra brother to me, and he and my brother got into a bit of trouble when they were young and he totally turned his back and blamed my bro for everything despite it being mainly my friend's fault and he kind of just took my bro along for the ride. Showed his true colors there, which was sad, never even said sorry about it and we were friends for years. But the good ones will stick with you no matter what, glad you two got past it, not many great friends out there, imo.

Last edited:
ya, cut resistance is something that seems inherent, but jack dempsey used to soak his face in brine to toughen his skin, i wonder if it really worked. I doubt it.
Dude you always have these crazy interesting historical tidbits about boxing, it's pretty awesome. Did you read about this stuff or talk to a bunch of old heads in the boxing community who told you these stories? I love it, soaking your head in brine is nasty but those dude were tough as nails back then and modern science wasn't exactly modern, lol, so I guess Jack and them had to do whatever they could and learn by trial and error.

I read a great story about Tunney in one of his fights against Greb, I would tell it but my memory is too foggy. Something about Tunney having a cut on his face and it not being fully healed so he got a shot or something and it made the whole thing into mush and Greb made him look like a horror movie victim. He also said something about drinking brandy before/during the fight to help and iirc that was the first and last time he did it, apparently it really messed with him, but I think that giving fighters brandy was fairly common back in the day? Not really sure but I feel like that was a thing.

Last edited:
no, i read all about the history of the sport from the time i was about 12 or 13, lots of facts and info that sticks in my head. There used to be more info out there about the past of the sport, but that seems to not be the case today. Meaning, the legends of a dempsey or a johnson aren't really talked about so much by the general population.

i've had my nose broken, either once or twice, it's a strange kind of cartilage, not soft but also not bone, my nose leaned to the left a bit after it too. I wondered if it would affect my singing voice, (no joke, i'm a musician) and also thought it might be a chronic issue, i would have had to have had my nostrils worked on because my nose began bleeding at the drop of a hat.
My nose points permanently left. I'd love to tell a war story but I was drunk and about to puke and landed nose first onto the edge of a toilet cistern. That's a lot of blood right there.

My nose points permanently left. I'd love to tell a war story but I was drunk and about to puke and landed nose first onto the edge of a toilet cistern. That's a lot of blood right there.
mine got broke sparring, face isn't meant to get punched.

no, i read all about the history of the sport from the time i was about 12 or 13, lots of facts and info that sticks in my head. There used to be more info out there about the past of the sport, but that seems to not be the case today. Meaning, the legends of a dempsey or a johnson aren't really talked about so much by the general population.

Used to be more fun to bs about that kind of stuff, too. Now someone will just pull up Google and say "nuh uh! See, Joe Louis was only in his 30's!"

Used to be more fun to bs about that kind of stuff, too. Now someone will just pull up Google and say "nuh uh! See, Joe Louis was only in his 30's!"
well, people today seem to act like the pass didn't even exist, i'm sure that was well underway in the 80's when i was growing up, simply because of the blizzard of info we have coming at us from all angles. We're a long ways away from having the same stories passed down for thousands of years. However, I do remember how the old names were always referenced in response to the performance of a current fighter, i still remember Hector Camacho's fine defense against Rafael Solis and how Larry Merchant described his finish as "dempseylike" and it was, it looked just like dempsey's knockdown of Tunney. And of course Ali's greatness always brought up Louis, Johnson, Dempsey and Marciano. It's just the way it used to be, it's not like that now.

mine got broke sparring, face isn't meant to get punched.
I have a scar on my forehead for when my dickhead friend decided to get drunk and not leave with everyone else. He thought we could fight our way out. Piece of advice, don't be on the small side of a 14-2 fight unless you're sexy. I have never had my ass kicked like that before.

I have a scar on my forehead for when my dickhead friend decided to get drunk and not leave with everyone else. He thought we could fight our way out. Piece of advice, don't be on the small side of a 14-2 fight unless you're sexy. I have never had my ass kicked like that before.
is that true?

I know what you mean (musicians, also). It definitely affects my ability to breath in (the left nostrils closes, I guess that means I have a deviated septum or something), but not out. My voice has never been great though and only recently got kind of serviceable. So if it did affect me, it's not like I was Freddy Mercury anyway.

And yeah, I'm the same way with bleeding. My nose would always bleed during sparring. Every single time. People would ask "whoa, you okay" and I'd have to tell them to just keep going. If I was ever in competition that probably would've hurt me a bit.

I know what you mean (musicians, also). It definitely affects my ability to breath in (the left nostrils closes, I guess that means I have a deviated septum or something), but not out. My voice has never been great though and only recently got kind of serviceable. So if it did affect me, it's not like I was Freddy Mercury anyway.

And yeah, I'm the same way with bleeding. My nose would always bleed during sparring. Every single time. People would ask "whoa, you okay" and I'd have to tell them to just keep going. If I was ever in competition that probably would've hurt me a bit.
very common for boxers, by the time pros are there, i guess they've either had their noses cauterized or just somehow gotten used to it. Nose bleeds aren't super common amongst the best pros.

is that true?
Yeah, it was inside a club so it didn't last too long but I stood there with my buddy and we got hit hard, a lot. Got the dickhead home and he muttered a thank you the following day. Asshole.

Yeah, it was inside a club so it didn't last too long but I stood there with my buddy and we got hit hard, a lot. Got the dickhead home and he muttered a thank you the following day. Asshole.
i hate clubs and parties, always have. as a musician sometimes i go to play but i don't really like the sitting around and waiting. If I feel the vibe is off for whatever reasons i just leave. I worked in a bar for about a year, always a lot of issues of some kind or another. Places are nasty, it probably holds me back as a musician, not liking that kind of stuff but whatever.

Never been touched, so I can't say :) lol

Really, a couple days to a week. Depends how hard you got whacked, like any bruise....

I had that issue for the first few times my nose got broken but after the fifth time it got broke it never bled again. I have a deviated septum though which affects my breathing and my nose runs all the time. I must get it fixed.

I had that issue for the first few times my nose got broken but after the fifth time it got broke it never bled again. I have a deviated septum though which affects my breathing and my nose runs all the time. I must get it fixed.
ya, has to be common in the sport, i remember going to ammie events where i was a kid, trying to compete, but i really wasn't ready, anyway, most of the kids got bloody noses, it wasn't unusual. From what i understand about nose bleeds, is that the kind that i have is just a weak vessel in my nose, it didn't happen before my nose getting cracked, now anytime im under a ton of stress it starts to bleed, probably from blood pressure.

Back