How long does it take to form a fat lip /for it to heal

Manassamaulerx

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
After sparring how long does it take to tell if you have a fat lip? How many days to heal?

depends on how much shit you like talking.

you'll be ok, give it a few days, i once got a cut all the way through my lip, it was fine in about a week or so, and it had stitches on both sides. don't worry about it.

people will act like you got your ass beat even if you didn't though, that parts kind of embarrassing.

I have fat lips for a white guy so it was always harder to tell for me, never took a beating too bad that it wouldn't go away within the week. One thing I will say tho is to make sure you don't spar with chapped lips, I used to get cuts all the time if I didn't put a lot of chapstick or vaseline on there.

Then when I would go out chicks would think I had herpes and it was an issue b/c the girls who were willing to fuck me, I didn't want to fuck them b/c I figured they actually did have actual herpes ergo nothing to lose. Anyway I digress. Just wait it out imo, lips aren't gonna cause you any issue unless it gets infected and gross or something, but I'm no expert in this area.

Well the deal is I sparred someone and left a couple minutes later and next time I saw them they had a fat lip and I didn't know if it was from our sparring or not. I didn't notice it when we had just finished but again I left right away.
I have gotten plenty of fat lips but I don't remember if they form a few minutes later or right away.

It forms when someone punches you in the mouth. It goes away when you stop doing anything but eating and eating pussy for a little while. Once it heals it'll come back if someone punches you in the mouth, etc...

It forms when someone punches you in the mouth. It goes away when you stop doing anything but eating and eating pussy for a little while. Once it heals it'll come back if someone punches you in the mouth, etc...
Lol well isn't that a revelation.

Fat lips, bruising etc come up fairly soon after but not immediately in my experience. I mark up really easy and regularly have black eyes or facial bruising from sparring. Part of the reason is my bone structure around my eyes. Don’t notice generally notice until I’m back home from the gym

Fat lips, bruising etc come up fairly soon after but not immediately in my experience. I mark up really easy and regularly have black eyes or facial bruising from sparring. Part of the reason is my bone structure around my eyes. Don’t notice generally notice until I’m back home from the gym
That's what I thought thanks

people will act like you got your ass beat even if you didn't though, that parts kind of embarrassing.

I got in a fight with my roommate back in my early twenties. Which is to say we were both drunk and pissed at each other, and that son of bitch came into my room and just started clocking me left and right. Really unexpected. Took me a second to get my bearings and actually defend myself. But even then I kept taking a lot of punishment. Finally I got the idea to dip low and then I just picked him up and slammed him down. He hit the back of his head on my dresser and I was able to pin him down and stop it all. Luckily too because I think he was going to kill me if I hadn't done something.

So after it was all said and done, I went to the freezer and grabbed some peas and a chicken breast to put on my face, because it was starting to feel hot. I woke up the next morning with a friend of mine who was an EMT standing over my bed. He just said "dude you need to go to the hospital." So I rolled myself out of bed and could feel my face throbbing. I went to the bathroom and I was unrecognizable. It was weird. But it didn't really hurt much, just swollen and throbbing.

I say all of that to say this: being all fucked up didn't really bother me so much. I was even joking about it later on that night ("if anyone at work asks, I'll just say the first rule is I'm not suppose to talk about it."). The worst part was all of the sympathy from everyone - people thinking that I was some helpless victim. Granted, I did get worked over but I also saved my own ass. I didn't need or want anyones pity. And them giving it to me hurt me ego a lot more than any of those punches hurt my face.

Aside, that's what ultimately gave me the kick in the ass to start boxing. I figured if nothing else, I could catch a beating and take it pretty well. Alright place to start.

for me it was really frustrating being stuck sparring with beginners because they were clutzes and i couldn't really do anything back, so i'd try to limit how much they could hit me. Still, i'd get marked up trying not to hurt them, honestly, even if i hit them with soft punches they couldn't take it.
I never really had problems anytime when i wasn't holding back in a fight, then the only problem was not seriously hurting a person, i'm talking mainly my security experience. It's true when they say the guy who gets off first generally has the advantage, it's true in life and in fighting. Not always, but usually. the cut i had on my lip was from a street fight, it was pretty brutal and I wouldn't say I won but the cut needed stitches for a few days, when they came out, it was just a matter of making sure it healed ok, now it looks like it never happened.

yesterday i was looking at one of nigel benns kids, the kid had a huge brow, i thought that was going to be a problem for him as a fighter. facial structure dictates a lot of the superficial damage we take. Joe Frazier came out of most fights looking like a loser because he swelled up a lot, while Ali rarely had a mark. Ali had a perfect face for a fighter, round, smooth features. Some asian fighters who don't have deep eye sockets tend to have horrible eye problems, detached retinas etc.., Aaron Pryor was half japanese and he had detached retinas.

I got in a fight with my roommate back in my early twenties. Which is to say we were both drunk and pissed at each other, and that son of bitch came into my room and just started clocking me left and right. Really unexpected. Took me a second to get my bearings and actually defend myself. But even then I kept taking a lot of punishment. Finally I got the idea to dip low and then I just picked him up and slammed him down. He hit the back of his head on my dresser and I was able to pin him down and stop it all. Luckily too because I think he was going to kill me if I hadn't done something.

So after it was all said and done, I went to the freezer and grabbed some peas and a chicken breast to put on my face, because it was starting to feel hot. I woke up the next morning with a friend of mine who was an EMT standing over my bed. He just said "dude you need to go to the hospital." So I rolled myself out of bed and could feel my face throbbing. I went to the bathroom and I was unrecognizable. It was weird. But it didn't really hurt much, just swollen and throbbing.

I say all of that to say this: being all fucked up didn't really bother me so much. I was even joking about it later on that night ("if anyone at work asks, I'll just say the first rule is I'm not suppose to talk about it."). The worst part was all of the sympathy from everyone - people thinking that I was some helpless victim. Granted, I did get worked over but I also saved my own ass. I didn't need or want anyones pity. And them giving it to me hurt me ego a lot more than any of those punches hurt my face.

Aside, that's what ultimately gave me the kick in the ass to start boxing. I figured if nothing else, I could catch a beating and take it pretty well. Alright place to start.

Yeah I realized after the first couple of sessions I had that getting hit in the face isn't as bad as I had previously thought. I always say that the big hook that whizzes by your head is scarier than the one that actually lands, b/c the being scared part is done and you just have to deal with the aftermath, which is bad but not as bad as most ppl think once you've dealt with it a few times. Not fun but I grew up with a bunch of pussies who couldn't stand the sight of blood let alone the feeling of a busted nose.

That being said, I've never had some asshole attack me when I wasn't expecting it, that seemed like a bad beating. I've never taken on nearly as violent.

One of my brothers did go through a very similar drunken experience where his friend who was a notoriously angry drunk, sucker punched him and broke his orbital floor bone or some shit. My brother ended up beating the fuck out of him but he looked way worse for wear than the other guy. As @mozfonky said my bro seemed to be pissed that ppl thought he was the one who took the worse beating b/c he looked so bad. Half his eyeball was red from blood leaking into it, swollen, black, etc.

I googled it and was like "You should go to the doc, pretty sure something in your face is broken." Had to have a minor surgery so they could put a piece of plastic in there or something.

Anyway he was cool with the dude after b/c the guy really seemed to feel bad and realized it was his fault, but they never drank together again (they weren't close friends anyway) and my bro moved away for a job soon after. Did you and your buddy ever make up after? I'd have trouble forgiving him for that shit.

smartest/dumbest thing i ever did when i realized i had problems getting hit (as anyone does, it's normal) is to let guys tee off on me, it didn't take long to get over it, and to realize i had a good chin. You can't be a good fighter when you're scared shitless to get hit, or when if you get hit, you react badly, that means that you either should quit, or…, get used to the punishment. that's a challenge, it's a challenge even for great fighters, the first thing comeback fighters talk about, like sugar ray leonard did in his kevin howard fight, was how apprehensive he was about getting hit. if you're not doing it consistently, you're not going to react well to it. After awhile, the only thing i worried about was permanent damage, I'd already toughened myself up mentally by that point. But, when you realize you can end up with lifelong joint problems, if you are smart like i was, you start to think "if i don't get anything out of it, i'm not doing it". The rest just get used and abused. Injuries definitely make you think about things, not the pain perse, but "i might need my knees in the future".

Yeah I realized after the first couple of sessions I had that getting hit in the face isn't as bad as I had previously thought. I always say that the big hook that whizzes by your head is scarier than the one that actually lands, b/c the being scared part is done and you just have to deal with the aftermath, which is bad but not as bad as most ppl think once you've dealt with it a few times. Not fun but I grew up with a bunch of pussies who couldn't stand the sight of blood let alone the feeling of a busted nose.

That being said, I've never had some asshole attack me when I wasn't expecting it, that seemed like a bad beating. I've never taken on nearly as violent.

One of my brothers did go through a very similar drunken experience where his friend who was a notoriously angry drunk, sucker punched him and broke his orbital floor bone or some shit. My brother ended up beating the fuck out of him but he looked way worse for wear than the other guy. As @mozfonky said my bro seemed to be pissed that ppl thought he was the one who took the worse beating b/c he looked so bad. Half his eyeball was red from blood leaking into it, swollen, black, etc.

I googled it and was like "You should go to the doc, pretty sure something in your face is broken." Had to have a minor surgery so they could put a piece of plastic in there or something.

Anyway he was cool with the dude after b/c the guy really seemed to feel bad and realized it was his fault, but they never drank together again (they weren't close friends anyway) and my bro moved away for a job soon after. Did you and your buddy ever make up after? I'd have trouble forgiving him for that shit.

a former friend used to be an alcoholic, he mouthed off to some guy when he was drunk and got socked, he never went to a doc but his orbital bone was recessed permanently. the average person hasn't built up any kind of resistance to punishment whatsoever. George Benton said that fighters do build up a tolerance to punches also, and that swelling tends to lessen as that happens.

smartest/dumbest thing i ever did when i realized i had problems getting hit (as anyone does, it's normal) is to let guys tee off on me, it didn't take long to get over it, and to realize i had a good chin. You can't be a good fighter when you're scared shitless to get hit, or when if you get hit, you react badly, that means that you either should quit, or…, get used to the punishment. that's a challenge, it's a challenge even for great fighters, the first thing comeback fighters talk about, like sugar ray leonard did in his kevin howard fight, was how apprehensive he was about getting hit. if you're not doing it consistently, you're not going to react well to it. After awhile, the only thing i worried about was permanent damage, I'd already toughened myself up mentally by that point. But, when you realize you can end up with lifelong joint problems, if you are smart like i was, you start to think "if i don't get anything out of it, i'm not doing it". The rest just get used and abused. Injuries definitely make you think about things, not the pain perse, but "i might need my knees in the future".

I remember if I would take more than a few weeks off from sparring, I would get worried about getting punched and flinch, then I would cracked a couple of times in the mouth and I would get into competitive mode after that and get smacked even more trying to answer back, lol. If I was working on sparring 3 or 4 times a week it wouldn't bother me, but yeah I remember taking weeks of and losing the familiarity of getting punched, it's not a natural thing, after all.

I've had my nose busted so many times, not even from fighting just from doing stupid shit. This is a really retarded story, and should probably teach everyone here not to take my advice. But one time I busted my nose at a party while a friend of mine was trying to stick a plunger to the top of my head. You see, we'd seen it in cartoons when we were kids and figured it would be good for a laugh. So he slaps that thing on top of my head but nothing. Won't stick. Well duh, it's because I have hair. Solution? Grab a big stew-pot out of the kitchen and put that on my head. So here I am in the living room with a stew pot on my head and I can't see a thing. Another friend of mine said something that I couldn't hear so I started taking the pot off of my head; unfortunately it was at the same time the guy with the plunger jumped off the foyer and brought it down on me. The rim of the pot smashed right down on my nose and blood exploded everywhere. It was awesome. I had to run into the bathroom and straighten it out though, which was not awesome and took a few tries.

I always did a reasonable job getting it back into place after it's gone sideways, but if you look at my face from below you can tell there's a pretty pronounced lean to the left. I've got a pretty big nose though so from the front it isn't noticeable.

Wasn't a great time, to be sure. In a weird way though I'm glad it happened. I came out of it with goals and it helped me grow.

Luckily nothing on my face actually broke aside from my nose, which - like I said - only really needs a stiff breeze anymore to mess it up.

More in spoiler
My roommate was one of my best friends since we were little kids. The way I saw it was that we were pissed, got in a fight where he had the initiative, and that was the end of it. We both knew what happened in there. And he was beside himself with grief. At the time I didn't have any vacation or sick leave with my job, so he paid my salary for two weeks. He also stopped drinking after that (only lasted about 3 years but that was still pretty impressive and gave him some time to work through his problems). We're still friends, and we've been through enough other things that the one bad experience doesn't define everything. You know how you have friends, but you never really know how they're going to act when shit hits the fan? I've been in that situation with him and I know how he reacts; all other things aside he's the kind of guy you want next to you when that happens because his loyalty is seemingly boundless.

I always use boxing as an analogy to tell people that winning isn't always pretty. If I showed someone a picture of Pac's face after the second Marquez fight, the first thought they'd have isn't "that looks like a winner to me." But sometimes winning is ugly and it's only by a few inches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back