How long can the DNA testing companies stay in business?

I did the test . It said I am 10” black. Thought that was weird.

Just because both of your parents did it, doesn't mean your mom isn't a lying whore.

The crazy thing is there have been numerous news reports showing these dna tests to be complete bunk, the tests tells you it's for entertainment purposes only, and you don't know what they're doing with your dna.

You can't spit in a tube and be told what tribe you come from, that's literally retarded.

There's 7 billion ppl on earth...

90% of them live on like $5 a day... 3 billion live in Asia and never ponder their genetic makeup. Those 7 billion aren't buying it any time soon.

this^^^. There is also gene expression, not just one time sequencing. THey can always add protein arrays and microbiome arrays. THeir potential runway is long.

To start, most just do arrays, not actual sequencing. It's SNP genotyping, essentially. They don't actually sequence due to the cost being way too high for their kits and what they offer. Sometimes insurance pays for whole genome sequencing as needed.

Disclaimer: I work for the company whose technology 23 and Me/Ancestry use.

Last edited:
To start, most just do arrays, not actual sequencing. It's SNP genotyping, essentially. They don't actually sequence due to the cost being way too high for their kits and what they offer. Sometimes insurance pays for whole genome sequencing as needed.

Disclaimer: I work for the company whose technology 23 and Me/Ancestry use.

Right. So you have to go to Craig Venter's conceirge medicine service in San Diego to get sequencing. How cheap is Illumina's technology for sequencing now? On a per individual basis once you've got the box

I don't follow these companies. I assume none of them offer protein arrays currently. I guess my point was that they can add services.

Right. So you have to go to Craig Venter's conceirge medicine service in San Diego to get sequencing. How cheap is Illumina's technology for sequencing now? On a per individual basis once you've got the box

I don't follow these companies. I assume none of them offer protein arrays currently. I guess my point was that they can add services.

Protein arrays are available from other companies like Abcam. If you have a pathway you want to study you can use Luminex. https://www.luminexcorp.com/

Currently whole genome sequencing costs around $1k per human genome, and takes 2 days to complete. You can do 48 whole human genomes in parallel in those two days. If you use Kraken analysis software/hardware you can get it fully analyzed in about 2 hours as well.

There are tons of other companies doing WGS for individuals now, and a lot of indications are getting fully reimbursed from insurance perspectives too. It's becoming hyper personalized.

Protein arrays are available from other companies like Abcam. If you have a pathway you want to study you can use Luminex. https://www.luminexcorp.com/

Currently whole genome sequencing costs around $1k per human genome, and takes 2 days to complete. You can do 48 whole human genomes in parallel in those two days. If you use Kraken analysis software/hardware you can get it fully analyzed in about 2 hours as well.

There are tons of other companies doing WGS for individuals now, and a lot of indications are getting fully reimbursed from insurance perspectives too. It's becoming hyper personalized.

Have you seen Venter's conceirge medicine business? I think it starts at $25,000 and the premium is $50,000.

https://www.humanlongevity.com/

I may, or may not have been involved in some equipment that went to this outfit :rolleyes:

Mine showed me to be 1/1024th Cherokee.

Have you seen Venter's conceirge medicine business? I think it starts at $25,000 and the premium is $50,000.

https://www.humanlongevity.com/

I may, or may not have been involved in some equipment that went to this outfit :rolleyes:

I worked with the sales VP for one of Venter's companies, can't remember which. Venter has an interesting reputation in our community.

Also, this concierge thing seems....outlandish.

Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if their main revenue/endgame isn't just the money from people paying to get their DNA analyzed, it's from what they will do with the massive amount of data they have. If people think they aren't already selling off that data to governments, research agencies, etc, you are crazy.

Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if their main revenue/endgame isn't just the money from people paying to get their DNA analyzed, it's from what they will do with the massive amount of data they have. If people think they aren't already selling off that data to governments, research agencies, etc, you are crazy.

It's already known that they are selling data to pharma...

I worked with the sales VP for one of Venter's companies, can't remember which. Venter has an interesting reputation in our community.

How do you define "interesting"

Also if they sell anonymized data to pharma I don't see any issue at all. People can bash pharma all they want but ultimately they only stay profitable by developing therapies that have a massive impact on human health, so if my genome data can help contribute to medical advances then I think it's a great thing.

How do you define "interesting"

Also if they sell anonymized data to pharma I don't see any issue at all. People can bash pharma all they want but ultimately they only stay profitable by developing therapies that have a massive impact on human health, so if my genome data can help contribute to medical advances then I think it's a great thing.

What if they cross reference you social media data to pretty much find out how much you make and then target you for pricing so that you pay just about the max you can afford? OTOH that may not be such a bad thing.

Celera? HGSI?

Lander > Venter.

Back