How is joe calzaghe remembered

doubleg

I will reak
Banned
Reaction score
46-0
Multi divisional champ
Beat an off peak Roy Jones, bernard Hopkins in his own game. In form Kessler.

first boxer to unify three of the four major world titles (WBA, WBC, and WBO) at super-middleweight.
Reigning top of some of the most competitive divisions.

I'll remember him as one of the British Isles best ever boxers. He really had it all as far as ability; Ring IQ, speed, chin, endurance, fast feet, and power (yes he did have power before his hands gave out). But I'll also remember and think what might have been because I think he played it safe for far too long with his career (Frank Warren style management). He should have been fighting guys like Roy Jones at their peak not an over the hill version. And later on he could have fought Carl Froch. I think Calzaghe for me was, for as much as he did accomplish, an unfulfilled potential. He was a great fighter but he could have been one of the best ever.

One of the top 30 to 20 greatest p4p boxers of all time IMO.

I will always remember him for the boxing clinic he put on lacy, who was at the time considered the second coming of Tyson. Pretty sure lacy had the IBF title.

He's a legend for sure. Work rate that can't be matched. Busiest guy ever.

A guy who was never as solidified as he could of been legacy-wise but often is denied the credit he deserves. That's how I think of him, anyhow. Many think of him as "Slappy Joe".

You Shut your cock holster
To be fair he did pretty much duck Carl. I don't know why as I think he could have beaten him but it seemed like he had a personal animosity against him and wouldn't give Froch the fight. A bit like the Brook and Khan situation except that Khan is just being a coward as well as spiteful.

CalzagheLovinHopkins.gif

A great fighter who ducked the top fighters of his era in their primes like Roy Jones and Hopkins.

Immense talent but valued keeping his undefeated record more than fighting the best when it mattered.

A great fighter who ducked the top fighters of his era in their primes like Roy Jones and Hopkins.

Immense talent but valued keeping his undefeated record more than fighting the best when it mattered.

Some think that Hopkins prime wasn't during his younger days.

I think the older Hopkins was craftier than the younger.

And the fact RJJ Calzaghe didn't happen earlier is on both. Not only joe, not only Roy.

One of the most talented boxers ever unfortunately cursed by hands made of styrofoam

46-0
Multi divisional champ
Beat an off peak Roy Jones, bernard Hopkins in his own game. In form Kessler.

first boxer to unify three of the four major world titles (WBA, WBC, and WBO) at super-middleweight.
Reigning top of some of the most competitive divisions.

The fact that he couldn't be bothered to leave the island for massive sums of cash showcase what he thought of Hopkins and RJJ in their primes. Probably, the most pathetic perfect record in boxing.

Most fans both respect him and wish he fought more elite guys in their prime, I guess.

I been off the forum for a years, but good to see this poisoned chalice of a thread reappear lol.

Back