How is joe calzaghe remembered

Fought nobodies and old men. Nothing special.

Calzaghe? Gutsy, high work rate. Threw a lot of slaps.
Always entertaining.

One of the best I have seen

Tbh after reading the topic title i thought he had passed or something

Hopkins should've got the nod against him.
Joey is overrated. Sorry

Carl Froch ducker.

It was just bad timing dude. As froch was just reaching world level joe was wrapping up his career and cashing out on bigger fights.

Had froch been a couple of years further down the line I’m pretty sure the fight would’ve happened. Calzaghe would’ve outboxed him convincingly at that stage of frochs career!

I felt i got cheated out of Calzaghe for a lot of reasons already posted.

He was a great talent, but he got held back a LOT by Warren, who is a disease on fighters progression, but great for the(his?) bank balance.

Calzaghe fought Hopkins and Jones way too late in his career, he fought Lacy and Kessler in their primes, and didnt struggle in the slightest, which is what makes me feel cheated.

I actually dont think a Jones fight was ever really acceptable, but he could and should have fought a higher calibre of fighter in his career earlier.

Great fighter. Kinda rushed resume at the end but a great fighter. IMO the greatest SMW of all time (though I rate Ward greater overall).

He will be rememberd as a top 20 or 30 pound for pound fighter and the hardest slapper in the history of boxing, the man did have very heavy hands and he could literally slap you and bust you up, just ask Left Hook Lacey, who turned out to be overrated even by me.

If he fought Roy, Hopkins and James Toney all in their prime when he was hiding out, he would've been considered one of the greatest ever, but sense he waited for them to move up and get old, we can't just give him credit for mythical matches, just because he destroyed a overrated untested Lacey, who after getting exposed couldn't be anybody after.

People forget that a young Calzaghe owned Eubank and put him down in that fight. This was the iron-chinned Eubank that not even Nigel Benn (who ruined McClellan) could hurt. Eubank was on the tail end of his career but it was still a big scalp for Calzaghe. Calzaghe had some serious power in his younger days before his hands became a problem. It's a shame he became known as Calzlappy.

CalzagheLovinHopkins.gif
works hips better than maidana/broner's sex tape.

As to the Froch 'ducking' it's nonsense. Calzaghe fought Jones in Nov 2008 and was done. Froch won his first title the month later. Froch emerged as Calzaghe was cashing in fighting Jones and Hopkins, fighting Froch at the time was never really a serious option.

As to Calzaghe having a crap record that people here seem to like calling a resume for some bizarre reason......

He got the title from Eubank former WBO middle and reigning super-middle champ. Also beat Robin Reid WBC super-middle champ, Richie Woodhall WBC super-middle champ, Mario Veit WBO super-middle champ, Charles Brewer IBF super-middle champ, Byron Mitchell WBA super-middle champ, Jeff Lacy IBF super-middleweight champ, Sakio Bika super-middleweight champ, Kessler WBA and WBC super-middleweight champ and then you also have Hopkins and Jones.

Some of the others Calzaghe beat also had other failed title shots like David Starie, Omar Sheika, Evans Ashira and Peter Manfredo Jr., I might have missed some others so they weren't nobodies they fought at a decent level before and/or after fighting Calzaghe.

His record or resume depending on what you like to call it wasn't as bad as some like to pretend.

Calzaghe is what he is 46-0 and the most successful super-middle of his generation..

As to the Froch 'ducking' it's nonsense. Calzaghe fought Jones in Nov 2008 and was done. Froch won his first title the month later. Froch emerged as Calzaghe was cashing in fighting Jones and Hopkins, fighting Froch at the time was never really a serious option.

As to Calzaghe having a crap record that people here seem to like calling a resume for some bizarre reason......

He got the title from Eubank former WBO middle and reigning super-middle champ. Also beat Robin Reid WBC super-middle champ, Richie Woodhall WBC super-middle champ, Mario Veit WBO super-middle champ, Charles Brewer IBF super-middle champ, Byron Mitchell WBA super-middle champ, Jeff Lacy IBF super-middleweight champ, Sakio Bika super-middleweight champ, Kessler WBA and WBC super-middleweight champ and then you also have Hopkins and Jones.

Some of the others Calzaghe beat also had other failed title shots like David Starie, Omar Sheika, Evans Ashira and Peter Manfredo Jr., I might have missed some others so they weren't nobodies they fought at a decent level before and/or after fighting Calzaghe.

His record or resume depending on what you like to call it wasn't as bad as some like to pretend.

Calzaghe is what he is 46-0 and the most successful super-middle of his generation..

My thoughts exactly pal

He's a guy that fought in obscurity forever and then beat some has-been greats at the end for his career.

Side note also not my favorite fighter to watch. Too much rabbitesque punching for my taste.

Some think that Hopkins prime wasn't during his younger days.

I think the older Hopkins was craftier than the younger.

And the fact RJJ Calzaghe didn't happen earlier is on both. Not only joe, not only Roy.

I would agree, bhop was on a good run leading up to the fight despite the two losses to Taylor. He also went on to rebound against an underrated (my opinion) pavlik. I think a lot of people are jaded when it comes to bhop because he hung around too long, I mean there was 8 years between the calzaghe and the smith jr fight. I don't think Bhop was out of his prime at the time and had beaten target two fights before the calzaghe bout

Great fighter. Kinda rushed resume at the end but a great fighter. IMO the greatest SMW of all time (though I rate Ward greater overall).
Interesting opinion, no grief coming from me if just like you to elaborate more

Dropping truth bombs in this thread

Back