*How good was Oscar De La Hoya as a boxer?*

De La Hoya was an excellent fighter that just happened to fight at a time when there was almost always someone a little better than him. He had legit losses at a reasonable weight against Mosely and Mayweather and losses at weights that he probably should not have been fighting at against Hopkins (too much weight to add on) and Pacquiao (too much weight to cut). I thought De La Hoya was robbed against Trinidad and should have won the decision, but I also thought that De La Hoya got a gift decision against Pernell Whitaker in a fight where De La Hoya should have lost the decision. He fought against some great competition, but no one really schooled him when he was at his best and at a reasonable weight.

He was good but he got a couple of gift decisions against Ike Quartey and Pernell Whitaker. On the flip side he was robbed arguably vs Trinidad and Mosely in there second fight.\

He fought all the tough guys except Winky Wright. That was the only guy who he should have fought and didn't.

I think he arguablly beat Mayweather in his prime when he wasn't in his prime. I think Oscar de la hoya right now if he trains would be a better boxer than anyone in the UFC across all weight classes.

Nah, Mayweather clearly outboxed De La Hoya in that fight. Really wasn't that close of a fight, but De La Hoya was no longer a spring chicken at that point either.

He was good but he got a couple of gift decisions against Ike Quartey and Pernell Whitaker. On the flip side he was robbed arguably vs Trinidad and Mosely in there second fight.\

He fought all the tough guys except Winky Wright. That was the only guy who he should have fought and didn't.

I forgot about that Ike Quartey fight. Yeah, that was a controversial decision. Great fight though.

Hard working, brought it every fight (except Pacquiao he retired after 8 rounds, but Pacquiao was lightning in a bottle). Won belts in multiple divisions, only losing to elite boxers, and arguably beat Floyd Mayweather.

When i grew up, i got the chance to watch several of the most relebant boxing fights in my country, as a TV channel had the rights to air them.

Due to my age, i was a kid when Tyson irrupted and went through his prime to his downfall. Also got to watch several of the last Julio César Chávez fights, he was one of my favorite fighters. I remember i was also a James Toney fan, he was really good.

But definitely, due to my age and his popularity, one of my biggest boxing figures was Oscar De La Hoya. I watched a lot of his fights: Ruelas, Trinidad, Mosley, Quartey, Leija, etc. Said that...

IMO he was really a great, elite, top notch fighter. One of the best of his era.

And don't forget he gave USA an Olympic gold medal. That's a huge accomplishment. No marketing there.

WAR DE LA HOYA!!!
I tried to come up with a relebant response, but I have nothing.

I think he arguablly beat Mayweather in his prime when he wasn't in his prime. I think Oscar de la hoya right now if he trains would be a better boxer than anyone in the UFC across all weight classes.
Ummm no .... 116-112 for Floyd ..... first 8 rounds were competitive and then OScar faded in the championship rounds as usual

OScar was very good .... Stamina was his biggest weakness imo .... he often faded in the late rounds

Oscar was one of my favorite fighters of that era,maybe my favorite.Him and RJJ.I still have all his fights on an external somewhere.He was about as good as it gets during his peak.I find it funny people are saying he arguably beat Floyd.I can't stand Floyd but there's no way Oscar should have even gotten a split decision,that was a gift.It's odd members here see split decision without actually watching a fight and go with the old arguably won thing.Prime Oscar would have likely won on points by outworking that version of Floyd who himself didn't look that great that night.

Yeah.I got the Sweet Pea fight on PPV and had a party.We were all surprised at the decision.

Phenomenal. Though I was never a fan because of what he did to Chavez (one of my top 5 favorite boxers).

Everyone disliked him after those beatings lol.I always found it odd that so many disliked him.They shouldn't have put those fights together in the first place but everyone blamed Oscar.

This new Sherdog ODLH fascination is just weird,much like a lot of the stupid trends around here.

Outstanding fighter. As tough as he was skilled.

This thread is gold-dust. A top level boxer hasn't been belittled by some sherbros because they've never seen him box.

When i grew up, i got the chance to watch several of the most relebant boxing fights in my country, as a TV channel had the rights to air them.

Due to my age, i was a kid when Tyson irrupted and went through his prime to his downfall. Also got to watch several of the last Julio César Chávez fights, he was one of my favorite fighters. I remember i was also a James Toney fan, he was really good.

But definitely, due to my age and his popularity, one of my biggest boxing figures was Oscar De La Hoya. I watched a lot of his fights: Ruelas, Trinidad, Mosley, Quartey, Leija, etc. Said that...

IMO he was really a great, elite, top notch fighter. One of the best of his era.

And don't forget he gave USA an Olympic gold medal. That's a huge accomplishment. No marketing there.

WAR DE LA HOYA!!!
Fantastic boxer one of the best ever imo but i hate him as an mma promoter. Its so obvious he doesnt even like the sport at least dana likes boxing.

oscar was a great fighter, but he most definitely did NOT win that fight against mayweather and I don't remember anyone that thought he won...aside from oscar's camp...mayweather definitely clearly won that fight.

He was very good. He got robbed against Trinidad, but it was his own fault for coasting those final rounds.

His bad losses came late in his career and mind you, he had hundreds of amateur fights before he was even 18. Of course even his late career losses didn't ruin his legacy like Roy Jones has.

roy jones jr has not ruined any legacy. in his prime, roy would beat any man who ever lived, in his weight class...only person that would give him a good fight would be SRR...for all you kids out there, that's sugar ray robinson...but losing later in your career, long past your prime, in no way diminishes your prime years...Ali lost later...to guys he'd never lose to in his prime...did that diminish his legacy? of course not.

Oscar was a great fighter, there's no doubt about it. Great skills with the speed and power to match. And he was TOUGH.

To be honest I don't think he truly lost until the B-Hop fight. He dominated Trinidad and I thought he edged Mosley both times. The only guys IMO who truly beat him were Bhop, Mayweather and Pacquaio. Not too shabby.

Ummmm, you are aware that hopkins dropped and stopped Oscar RIGHT?? he stopped him with a liver shot...I think you have another fighting in mind...but hopkins totally wrecked oscar...you might want to google that fight again....

I think Oscar de la hoya right now if he trains would be a better boxer than anyone in the UFC across all weight classes.

Well he was World Champion, so ....

Oscar was an excellent boxer. That being said, he's not even top 10 in his last weight class all time.

Oscar was VERY good.

I remember early in his career, he was criticized for not fighting certain types of opponents:

"Oscar is ducking slick boxers" - Proceeds to outbox Genaro Hernandez
"Oscar is ducking brawlers who will easily work inside his jabs" - Proceeds to beat up JJL, Chavez, Molina, etc.
"Oscar's chin hasn't been tested" - Proceeds to fight Ike Quarty
"Oscar is so much bigger than his opponents" - Proceeds to school Vargas

I had Mayweather beating him by quite a bit.

My favorite Oscar fight was against Mayorga. During the "glove touch", Mayorga stated something along the lines of "I'm 174 lbs tonight!!!" Oscar proceeded to KO him with ease.

Oh, and I always thought it was cool when left-handed fighters fight orthodox and when right handed fighter fight southpaw.

Oscar is a lefty, it' why his hook was so good.

Ummmm, you are aware that hopkins dropped and stopped Oscar RIGHT?? he stopped him with a liver shot...I think you have another fighting in mind...but hopkins totally wrecked oscar...you might want to google that fight again....

I think you need to re-read my post, Broseph...

Back