*How good was Oscar De La Hoya as a boxer?*

I think you need to re-read my post, Broseph...

You said something about not agreeing with oscar losing...which gives the impression that hopkins won by a controversial decision that you disagree with...which couldn't be further from the truth...hopkins beat his ass...and stopped him..oscar was rolling around on the ground in pain, unable to get up.

oscar's , like most great fighters, show the most stuff before they have their reps (ali never looked better than he did in the 60s, tyson never looked better than when he beat the early setups) yesterday i rewatched his early hbo fights, wasn't the same guy we saw later on, he was on his game and ready to take on the world. The question how good a boxer? he was versatile, he could move, he could fight going backwards, he could box on his toes and he could get down in the trenches. I thought he was at his best before the 147 era. After that, he just lost interest and it showed, he even admits it.

Oscar was one of my favorite fighters of that era,maybe my favorite.Him and RJJ.I still have all his fights on an external somewhere.He was about as good as it gets during his peak.I find it funny people are saying he arguably beat Floyd.I can't stand Floyd but there's no way Oscar should have even gotten a split decision,that was a gift.It's odd members here see split decision without actually watching a fight and go with the old arguably won thing.Prime Oscar would have likely won on points by outworking that version of Floyd who himself didn't look that great that night.

I think its because most people don't know what they are watching, and they see this in real time..

FCE9.gif

and think Oscar is winning the exchanges by being aggressive. Floyds punches are "sneaky" and hard to see for casuals in real time

You think the fight was fixed? maybe...but, the punch did look like a good liver shot...but who knows...why on earth would oscar throw a fight?
i’m not sayin man, i’m jus sayin

You said something about not agreeing with oscar losing...which gives the impression that hopkins won by a controversial decision that you disagree with...which couldn't be further from the truth...hopkins beat his ass...and stopped him..oscar was rolling around on the ground in pain, unable to get up.

You need to go work on your reading skills. Don't you think it's weird that I SUPPOSEDLY posted that Oscar didn't lose against Bhop (a fight in which he was knocked out cleanly), and you're the only one calling me on it?

Now go put your dunce cap on and sit in the corner.

One of the best ever

Just because he’s a promoter now folks forget Oscar was a badass so Dana better shut his mouth before he gets slept.

roy jones jr has not ruined any legacy. in his prime, roy would beat any man who ever lived, in his weight class...only person that would give him a good fight would be SRR...for all you kids out there, that's sugar ray robinson...but losing later in your career, long past your prime, in no way diminishes your prime years...Ali lost later...to guys he'd never lose to in his prime...did that diminish his legacy? of course not.
Ezzard Charles would’ve beaten the piss out of Jones imo

You think the fight was fixed? maybe...but, the punch did look like a good liver shot...but who knows...why on earth would oscar throw a fight?
OScar has been quoted saying he could’ve gotten up

i always thought oscar tanked it because he knew he'd get kayoed anyways. dumb idea, made no sense fighting someone that much bigger.

Guy was great. His fights with Mosley were outstanding. Loved both of those guys

As a boxer he had a lot of utensils at his disposal, crazy jab and left hook.

;)

A prime Oscar would mop the floor with most of the modern welterweights , thurman, garcia, porter, khan, brook, spence.

Back