how fast will i progress?

To beat BJ Penn in a BJJ match or to beat BJ Penn's time to black belt?

You won't complete #2, least if you stick to the IBJJF guidelines

To beat BJ Penn in a BJJ match or to beat BJ Penn's time to black belt?

You won't complete #2, least if you stick to the IBJJF guidelines
neither of those, i wasn't being literal, i was asking to know or get an idea of how fast ill progress for example
someone who's been training for a year 3-4 times a week as opposed to be a new guy but training 8+ times a week how fast till i catch up to him? and i know i can't get an exact date and time but i wanted a rough estimate of what you guys thought.

shit thread.

i predict you will quit bjj within a year

how fast ill progress for example someone who's been training for a year 3-4 times a week as opposed to be a new guy but training 8+ times a week
More likely that a guy who practices 3-4 times a week will progress faster than someone who practices 8+ times a week. Even more likely that the latter guy will burn out and quit.

More likely that a guy who practices 3-4 times a week will progress faster than someone who practices 8+ times a week. Even more likely that the latter guy will burn out and quit.
why would he progress faster? assuming the latter guy doesn't quit

why would he progress faster? assuming the latter guy doesn't quit
For the same reason a bodybuilder who lifts 3x/week will progress faster than someone who lifts 8x/week. Rest is as important as the workout itself.

BJJ does require certain muscles to develop until you can do techniques properly. You can do 8x/week when one hour roll feels like light warm up to you. If you are not there yet you will progress slower than someone who train less.

An hour rolling doesn't feel like a light warmup to anyone.
Let me clarify that. I believe that you as a brown belt is able to control the pace and roll light enough with anyone if you want to. This does not mean you have to roll light every time. However, if you train 8x/week you cannot go all out every time. A beginner simply cannot do that.

Let me clarify that. I believe that you as a brown belt is able to control the pace and roll light enough with anyone if you want to. This does not mean you have to roll light every time. However, if you train 8x/week you cannot go all out every time. A beginner simply cannot do that.

Well said

And when fatigue sets in on new guys: technique takes a dump, shortcuts are utilized, bad habits are formed and its one step forward two back.

1. Here's a picture everyone should know. If you are out of breath glucose produces 19 times less energy and also produces lactic acid that causes muscle fatigue.

respiration14.jpg

2. ~90 minutes of exercise drains your glycogen storage completely.
3. It takes 22hrs to 4 days to replenish glycogen reserves depending on how hard you were training before.
4. Once you burned your glycogen you start burning fat. This slows you down a lot. Brains are using glucose as a primary energy source. Switching to ketone bodies takes time and your training won't be as efficient.
5. When you finally "get in shape" and burn all your fat you will start burning your muscles. This is the point when you quit. For most it takes 6-9 months.

neither of those, i wasn't being literal, i was asking to know or get an idea of how fast ill progress for example
someone who's been training for a year 3-4 times a week as opposed to be a new guy but training 8+ times a week how fast till i catch up to him? and i know i can't get an exact date and time but i wanted a rough estimate of what you guys thought.

There's too many variables. Just off the top of my head:

Are you athletic? Do you do additional research/reading outside classes to pick up new techniques and concepts? Do you get to try these techniques? Do you "get it"? How good is your instructor? Are you and your instructor on the same wavelength when he/she explains things to you? Like others have said, do you get enough rest or do you just "coast" for half those sessions because you're so sore that's all you're thinking about?

Being there is the most important bit but there's just so many things to consider.

Just train and enjoy it

There's too many variables. Just off the top of my head:

Are you athletic? Do you do additional research/reading outside classes to pick up new techniques and concepts? Do you get to try these techniques? Do you "get it"? How good is your instructor? Are you and your instructor on the same wavelength when he/she explains things to you? Like others have said, do you get enough rest or do you just "coast" for half those sessions because you're so sore that's all you're thinking about?

Being there is the most important bit but there's just so many things to consider.

Just train and enjoy it
id like to say yes to all of those.

id like to say yes to all of those.

We'll be asking you the questions soon..

Like I said before, just train and enjoy it. I found that the most improvement for me came when I didn't have a set mindset, all I wanted to achieve was be better at bjj 90mins after the time I arrived in the business. I can't say that's always the case, but that's my aim.

These days, I'm just happy to arrive in the building given work commitments etc

Funny story. I knew a guy that did that. He didn't have a job, so he went to every class for like 2 week straight. Balls out sessions, there was no light rolling with this guy, he was in great shape, but it was always a technical spazzathon every time out.

He had to take a break for a month after those 2 weeks. His body just literally broke down and then he got sick right after. By day 9 he was trudging in shoulders down, eyes baggy. Sure his diet (apparently he was big on Wendy's after his morning trainings) and burning both ends of the candle (kid loved the night life) probably did him no favours either.

Was the 2-3 a days for 2 weeks worth a month out on the side line thereafter a fair trade?

Funny story. I knew a guy that did that. He didn't have a job, so he went to every class for like 2 week straight. Balls out sessions, there was no light rolling with this guy, he was in great shape, but it was always a technical spazzathon every time out.

He had to take a break for a month after those 2 weeks. His body just literally broke down and then he got sick right after. By day 9 he was trudging in shoulders down, eyes baggy. Sure his diet (apparently he was big on Wendy's after his morning trainings) and burning both ends of the candle (kid loved the night life) probably did him no favours either.

Was the 2-3 a days for 2 weeks worth a month out on the side line thereafter a fair trade?
well I'm not on a wendys diet its pretty good, and i do get plenty of sleep. but training is going really good atm i believe last week i took a day off cause i felt like my body was telling me to rest and i rarely roll hard. (basically saying ill train as much as possible but if i feel like i need a rest day ill take a day or two off)

well I'm not on a wendys diet its pretty good, and i do get plenty of sleep. but training is going really good atm i believe last week i took a day off cause i felt like my body was telling me to rest and i rarely roll hard. (basically saying ill train as much as possible but if i feel like i need a rest day ill take a day or two off)

Then you'll be fine. Don't obsess over it. Just show up, train, do your best, and let whatever happens, happen.

Don't be too obsessed with belts. It's the biggest reason for the blue belt curse.

So some people here wanted an update, I competed in my first tournament yesterday and placed 3rd. I did very well against my first opponent i think i won by like 20-0 who was also a judo brown belt I lost my 2nd by 2 points, and I beat my 3rd opponent 4-2, Im not going to lie i almost cardio tapped on my 3rd match LOL. also ill be prepping for AGC so got 2 weeks for that

Last edited:
Back