how fast will i progress?

mrblackcoffee

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
so i am currently training 8 times a week and i normally stay after class to do some more sparring or drilling for another 30 min -1 hr my question is how fast will i progress in bjj will i beat bj penn at this rate XD

Beat BJ Penn to black belt? Time will not tell hold you back. You will hold yourself back. Are you super athletic ? Do you have a killer mentality ? Will you get injured ?

Keep us posted BJ always competed and he always competed a belt higher then he was. BJJ, Judo, etc. Keep us posted

beating BJ was a joke just saying will i advance quickly belt wise and skill wise, but i believe I'm athletic and have a good mentality, no comment on getting injured lol. but I'm trying to compete as much as possible

You'll progress super fast for the first 6 months, then none at all for the next 50 years after you quit because of your injuries and burn out.

When I was a white belt, I trained usually 4-6 days a week for 2-3.5 hours a day. I got blue in 8-9 months. YMMV

so i am currently training 8 times a week and i normally stay after class to do some more sparring or drilling for another 30 min -1 hr my question is how fast will i progress in bjj will i beat bj penn at this rate XD
You're going to get injured.

i can get injured just training once a week you can't control when you get injured

I'm a brown belt now. Don't train like that when you're first starting out. It was dumb and I got hurt a lot. I ramped it up to 5-7 days like that at purple through early brown, made it to brown at just over 3 years training like that, and BJ made it to world class black in that time frame, so it's safe to say he was an ultra prodigy even by the standards of those that train a lot (or maybe I just suck >.>). After I graduated school I slowed down to 4 days a week for about 2 hours just because of location/gym change, so no I don't still quite train like that.

Just listen to your body. There may be days where you really need a break to rest a nagging injury or to just recharge your whole system.

But the days where your energy levels are good, you don't have any pain and you are excited to go...those are the days to attend.

Diet, sleep and stretching will be very important to keep this schedule up. I know because I maintain a similar schedule

Belt progression is a joke. Some instructors are quick to give belts out because enrollment is low. My buddy got his blue belt in 3 months because his gym had no blues and he competed almost every week, but he didn't have a grasp of basic techniques. Watch some big time competitions and you'll see purple belts tap black belts all of the time. Just my opinion.

If you train under master Lloyd you can be a BB in 3 years.

Just listen to your body. There may be days where you really need a break to rest a nagging injury or to just recharge your whole system.

But the days where your energy levels are good, you don't have any pain and you are excited to go...those are the days to attend.

Diet, sleep and stretching will be very important to keep this schedule up. I know because I maintain a similar schedule
Yea i have no problem with taking as many days off if needed to recover, but so far i feel like my body is adapting very well to the schedule and I'm really not all that sore from it, so unless a freak accident happens i don't see my body getting hurt from over use

so I've been training most 2 months now i can honestly say i see huge improvements from the first day, i am able to submit and sweep white belts when i roll very often, who when i first started were mauling me, i'm excited to see what ill be like in half a year :D defiantly getting addicted to bjj

Just keep training consistently. You'll be in you goal as long as you stick with it

Back