How do you rate Deontay Wilder p4p?

ImmigrantMentality

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I thought he lost but it was a competitive, and all his other fights he's consistently won against men who are 20-40 lbs heavier than him. He walks around at a lower weight than most cruiserweights although it seems most people would put Usyk ahead of him in the p4p rankings, but is this fair? Or do you think going off purely from weight is flawed because you can be a big framed guy but still be light. An example of this is Wilder making Gassiev look small even though Gassiev is likely heavier.

This is where p4p gets tricky. I really don't see Usyk beating Wilder at all, but you can't deny that Usyk was very clearly the best Cruiserweight. I really don't know how to answer that question, and it's one of the reasons I'm not a big fan of p4p rankings.

Yes I don't rate him p4p. Technique wise p4p he is nowhere near. Imagine taking Deontay and shrinking him down to middleweight with the same skill set.

He would die.

Yes I don't rate him p4p. Technique wise p4p he is nowhere near. Imagine taking Deontay and shrinking him down to middleweight with the same skill set.

He would die.
A middleweight Deontay would be like 6'2" and one of the fastest guys in the division with the most power. Would still be very dangerous don't you think?

Before the Fury robbery, Boxrec rated some Nicaraguan 24 year old flyweight with 3 losses ahead of him lol. Also Badou Jack. Sounds about right.

A middleweight Deontay would be like 6'2" and one of the fastest guys in the division with the most power. Would still be very dangerous don't you think?
Not really becasue technique wise he'll be light years behind all top tier competition. And I mean light years.

He'd be like rocky fielding only worse.

He's not even the best fighter in his weight class

P4P is for rating manlets above legitimate fighters that smash people in real fights. I am a small guy myself walking around at 170 pounds and I am not saying it from complexes. I learnt boxing watching tapes of boxers like El finito Lopez, Dinamita Marquez, Barney Ross, Carlos Ortiz, Ike Williams, Bernard Hopkins etc. They are all GREATS in their respective weight classes and I admire them. But p4p is pure nonsense, especially when I hear hardcore fans talk about it. It only has one purpose: Market smaller boxers and generate money from them. It works with the casual public as we now have the Conor's and Floyd's but when hardcores fall for it it's kind of weird. Deontay Wilder is the third best boxer in the planet resume wise and that's all that matters. By 'boxer' I mean the ability to get inside the squared circle and outbox him. Evidence suggests so far only two men can do it so he is #3.

He's not in there yet. Not in the top 10 or 20.

Back