How do you pass the Sit up guard?

Uchi Mata

Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks
@Gold
Reaction score
So my teacher loves to play butterfly, and when I grab both pant legs at the ankles and stand to x or torreando pass, he always goes into a sit up guard which prevents me from forcing his legs to one side or the other. How have you all found is best to pass situp guards?

For further reference, sometimes he plays shin on shin, sometimes he wraps the legs with an arm and goes into a semi-DLR type of position. He's constantly reaping my arms at the elbows to try and disengage my grips, it's often all I can do to hold on.

GerbilJitsu? Zankou? PoppaRotzee? No one?

Convert the sit up guard to a lying down guard.

Grab the guy's heels and drag him forward and up. This should put him on his back so you can start passing again.

YOu have gotta try and get his back flat.

There are a few guards that are just easier to convert to other positions than pass outright.

Convert sitting guard to lying guard, convert inverted guard to the turtle, etc.

YOu have gotta try and get his back flat.
Personally, I accomplish this by trying to snap him down into a guillotine. As he pulls back you can flatten his back to the mat and start passing.

I'm a knee-through guy, so I would push him over while sliding a knee through. I just have to make sure to pressure so that he doesn't stand up attempting a single leg.

You could also change tactics and try controlling his knees when he's in butterfly. A lot of guys in my class start that way, and it's easier for me to try and smash the knees down and pass. I've tried to control the ankles from butterfly, and it's harder against a really good open guard player unless they're already in a spider/DLR guard.

His advice was to pull his ankles to flatten him out, I'll certainly work that, I was just looking to see what folks would say. As it turns out, my BB instructor gave me excellent technique advice. Imagine that.

I like grabbing the ankles and pulling them up so my partner ends up on his back. It kills his mobility. I also like pummeling hard for an underhook and driving in with a knee cut. In my experience the hardest part about this is getting a deep underhook and starting the pass with my foot between their legs. A common response to this is a single leg so expect to have to sprawl hard. Maybe my knee cut just sucks, though. Now that I think about it, I don't think Im getting my head low enough.

I always thought this was pretty cool, too. doesn't work well for me, though.

Last edited:
We've been working on a lot of passes for this lately. We've gone over a couple of variations, but they all have a few things in common.
They all start with getting a good base and posture and keeping your opponent from gripping your sleeves/colar. From there you move forward with a lead leg putting knee pressure on his stomach or thigh (depending if he's still sitting up/moved to de la riva) and start working for grip control of his knees or knee and lapel. After you have good grips you can move into a lot of the passes you may already use, such as knee slide passes and over under passes.

Not sure if that helps, I didn't directly describe 1 pass but instead tried to give the general ideas that were the same behind a few of them.

I like to lift one of his calves and push the opposite shoulder, but it accomplishes the same as lifting both of his ankles. If the guy insists on sitting back up, I just go for some kind of low pass (esgrima, over-under pass etc.) as I drive him flat with my shoulder in his chest.

under hook the arm that he uses to trap your leg then pass.

Is he playing shin to shin guard or just sit up? Those are going to require two different methods of approach.

I like to either flatten him or get a knee in the middle and force a sucky DLR, on my terms.

Just engaging is usually a bad idea, because when somebody is really good at a particular open guard, they often spend 50% of their time playing it, while you only spend 3-5% of your time passing it. This is why it's so infuriatingly difficult to pass the open guard of a high level player, IMHO. If you spent 50% of your time passing DLR, then you'd be awesome at passing it, but the reality is the guy playing guard decides what he wants to play. So you will spend 5% of your time passing DLR. You get the idea; their specialty rapidly outpaces your guard passing against that specialty.

Personally, I love it when people try the toreano, because it's pretty much open season from sitting guard. Not a great sitting guard pass, IMHO. The guy has takedowns and armdrags/collar drags all day, and not much you can do about it.

Oh ok, that situation. Are we talking gi or no gi? I'd imagine in gi fighting for grips is a priority.

I'm a knee-through guy, so I would push him over while sliding a knee through. I just have to make sure to pressure so that he doesn't stand up attempting a single leg.

This is my method too, but if the guy isn't a solid wrestler, I'll actually bait him into the single and immediately go for an omoplata from it. Ever try that? It's slick and few people see it coming.

This is my method too, but if the guy isn't a solid wrestler, I'll actually bait him into the single and immediately go for an omoplata from it. Ever try that? It's slick and few people see it coming.

My balance/single leg defense is real good, so depending on the circumstance I'll sometimes let the guy try to single leg me. I have a good uchimata if they stay low, sacrifice throw if they stand all the way up, or if I can pass my knee to the outside and grab a pant leg then I can sometimes fall down into side control. But I've never done an omoplata from a single so I should give it a shot :icon_lol:

But as a rule of thumb, it's good form to not give the guy a chance to attack when you have the pressure on. Or to let the guy stand up when you're almost passed his guard.

Back