How do you pass the Sit up guard?

I sit on my ass, grab their ankle and belt and then Berimbolo to the back. Easy.

Or, Terere pass.

The battle to pass this guard is the hand fighting. As with any guard, the person with superior grips will succeed.

So, how've things been playing out since then?

Last edited:
This is my method too, but if the guy isn't a solid wrestler, I'll actually bait him into the single and immediately go for an omoplata from it. Ever try that? It's slick and few people see it coming.
my instructor did that twice in the same night to me recently

What is a sit up guard? As in he literally sits up with you holding his 2 ankles?

I would push his 2 feet down on the floor and walk my way towards his side and go for the back or side control. It usually ends with you in his half guard.

try to intercept him grabbing your leg by reaching under his armpit for an underhook. hip turn shin slide knee slice from there.

if he already has an arm around your leg: lift your foot, swivel your knee at his chest so you can put your foot down beside his hip and then backstep to that side with your free leg.

rolling kimura to whatever ftw

fyi: this is a 5 1/2-year-old post, and he's a brown belt now....

he's got a pro match in a little under 2 weeks so i reckon pretty well

Yeah but we gotta know the really important things. Such as, whats the new pass plan developed to get them gym wins?

Last edited:
i'm pretty sure uchi could wipe the mat with 90% of the people here.

You're strangely standoffish right now rj though im not sure why. Im genuinely interested to know how things've evolved for him on the thread topic since then, since uchi is a poster i respect, and i think its fun to highlight how ones game has developed looking back on the past through snapshots in time like this. Perhaps there has been a miscommunication on some level here.

Last edited:
I will give you all the secrets of Uchi's open guard passing...

After his pro match.

I will give you all the secrets of Uchi's open guard passing...

After his pro match.

Pssh, whatever, i don't even want to know now, so there!

neenerneener.jpg

So, how've things been playing out since then?

You know, I've gone through a couple phases of guard passing. When I first made that post I had a few moves, but no strategy whatsoever for passing any open guard. Probably the first real strategy I ever put any time into was stepping up into a knee slice, which worked pretty well. But I had no second move, other than smashing into half guard and grinding out a pass. I late spend a lot of time working on Mendes style passing with a lot of long steps and knee slices, trying to force people to RDLR and pass from there. I still like that style, but I'm not really mobile enough to make it my main game. Based on advice from Roger Gracie I spent a lot of time after that working on pressure passing, using a lot of Faria style over/under and Murilo Santana style half guard passing. That's something I still use a lot of when needed (I actually think it's a good strategy against situp guard), but my main stuff these days is really more a blend of Lo style active posting trying to get into knee slices and leg weaves along with Demian Maia inspired tripoding to get into those same passes. I really like having my upper body forward to connect while allowing for hip mobility. I find this works well in gi, no-gi, MMA, whatever.

The last time I rolled with my old coach who I started this thread about, I passed his guard a few times, mostly with knee slices and half guard smashes. I consider guard passing to be one of the stronger parts of my game these days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back