How do you get to work? What's your commute like?

My commute is approximately 125 kilometers each way, give or take a few depending on the route I take that day. Can take anywhere from 65 minutes with no traffic to 4 hours when stuck in the northbound cottage traffic on a Friday afternoon in the summer.

why the fuck do you do that to yourself?

As folk have said, as much as it's nice to have as little a commute as possible, I still think it's good to have some space between your work and your home.

I used to manage a boarding kennels, and our cottage was on site, natch. It sucked having customers knocking on our front door (and in one instance, just letting themselves in).

about 1/2 hour to work, 45 minutes home.
i take the railroad into work (quicker) and subway home (cheaper).

About 10 minutes, and every job I've ever had was always in the opposite direction of morning traffic. #blessed

I could make my commute a literal bike ride, but I hate the area that firehouse covers. Too slow and too many old folks homes.

My commute sucks. Slightly under 50 miles one-way (~65% freeway). Takes a little under 1-hour with no traffic, but up to 90 minutes with very bad traffic. On top of that I have to drop off my son to daycare, which is right near where I work. Drains an additional 20-30 minutes for the day. I do commute with my wife and son, but that's not the type of quality time I want to spend with them.

On a very good note I am moving closer to work in a few weeks. This cuts the commute down to 15-20 minutes one way and no need of freeway. Pretty happy about that. We almost got a home <10 minutes away, but this location works better for us in other ways. Can't wait!

Currently (minus being on paid leave for the past few months) I have a 20-30 minute drive in Atlanta. Which is pretty good for this city. It would be 20 every day if it weren't for the jackasses trying to get off one interstate to another blocking every single lane of traffic to cut in front of the ridiculously long line every morning. it helps a little that I have to be at work by 7:00. Leaving at 6:35 vs 6:30 makes a huge difference actually.

I have an interview tomorrow and if that goes well, my trip is going to get way worse. Because I'll have to use that other insanely crowded interstate where there is an accident daily to get to it.

i take the metro and bus. takes about an hour.

Pickup or 125cc motorcycle. It takes me about 10 minutes to get to work and it's all gravel

45 minutes to an hour depending on traffic. Traveling 22 miles one way in Chicago is a bear.

I mean I could move out of the city and into the burbs closer to where I work.. but fuck living in the burbs.

I changed jobs last year and my commute went from 13 minutes to 65 minutes. I started hating driving my Bummer, and got a Saab with an automatic transmission so I could watch netflix while drinking my coffee while driving.

I plan to move within 20 minutes of the new job soon.

Back