how do you act in conflict situations that may lead to fight?

Roman_23

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Wondering how fellow sherdoggers act when face situations that can lead to a fight, conflicts etc.? A lot of tough warriors here :)

I personally had like 2-3 fights (outside of training) in my life and generally when there is a conflict in public ( subway, bar fight, school, road rage etc) I just walk away and don't react to insults because it is not worth it in my opinion and I don't think that I need to prove anything to stranger , especially if there is a possibilty to get stabbed or whatever.

As i get older those type of cofronting situations happen less and less, last time was 4 years ago when i lived in vancouver and some junkie looking guy approached me at bus stop and wanted an explantion as to why i am staring at him. I was just kinda in the zone looking really nowhere, but he thought I was looking at him and was really butthurt about it, wanted to get into fight and threw insults out of nowhere. I said just whatever guy, leave me alone. What would you do in this situaiton, would you fight him and engage in verbal arguement?

I started trainging diffrent martial arts as a kid and still train on and off . Back then it was for the purpose of self defense, but now I kinda think it is only good for hobby and keeping shape, not for actual self defense because if in fact you will try to use your skills you most likely will get hurt or killed. I live in Russia now and the thing is people with whom you might get in conflict usually have like a knife or a traumatic gun or a baseball bat in a trunk, so your chances are really not that great even if you are great at boxing or jiu jitsu.

I know couple people with different philoshy - they are teaching / training martial arts and put it to pratise when they see social injustice.

What are your thoughts on all this and what are your stories?

If it's an argument I just stand there real calm like. If it is looking like a fight, I just stroll away real calm like.

Best case scenario in a fight: Beat up a stranger
Worst case scenario in a fight: Kill stranger, get killed by stranger, etc.

WGAF

Exception: If you fuck with my mom, wife, or kids, then it's on. That's really never happened though and I don't hang out with morons in moron places. Street fighting is mainly just a hobby for idiots.

Depends on how threatened I feel and whether or not I think I can win. And whether or not I can get out of it another way. I haven't gotten into many physical altercations in the last 5-7 years. A lot more when I was younger.

Give them one chance to apologise then
giphy.gif

I usually grab a steel chair or other foreign object and try to keep my back to a wall

Like all Shertards I unleash my anal glands in offensive fashion.

I learned how to fight so I don't have to.

Now I avoid physical altercations at all costs on the street. Even if you win a fight.. you can still get sued and even if are defending yourself, you'll probably get arrested anyway. Especially if you really fuck someone up an then have to go to court to defend your actions even if self defense.

If it's a situation where I can think it through clearly, I try to decide whether it's worth it to engage in physical violence and then deal with the potential consequences, i.e. criminal charges. If it's something that I need to act on immediately though, I have no fear of throwing down. Most guys these days are bitches though. Can't recall the last time someone tried to act tough without a bunch of their friends there to back them up.

I just try and defuse the situation, or walk away. Last time I had a fight (outside of a ring) was probably in third year (of high school, is that middle school for americans?) or something. What's the point in fighting really? Just not worth the risk (that you could get injured, get into trouble with the police even if you win etc.), so I try and get on with everyone mostly. As I actually have some boxing experience I'd fancy myself against most people in a fight unless they have a big size advantage, but as I say, it ain't worth the risk to me. Not to say I never get into arguments, but I'm talking about if someone is actually looking for a fight, trying to square up or whatever... If someone pushed or punched me I would retaliate like, but best to avoid it if you can imo.

You get a lot of it when you're out drinking and people try and act hard for some random reason. Like the other day I was walking to my house with this girl, we were going to get drink from my place before heading back to the party we came from. She was absolutely steaming and made some joke to these group of guys (can't even remember what she said but it wasn't anything offensive), I stop for a second to talk with this one guy who moved towards us and noticed he was really angry for some damn reason. He keep going to me "walk away mate, walk away" as if he was gonna attack me if I didn't lol. I was fairly drunk too, but I just smiled and asked him how his night was, what pub they had been in etc. and then went on my way.

Last edited:
I lower my head and look to the ground to show the alpha I'm not a threat.

Last edited:
If it's a situation where I can think it through clearly, I try to decide whether it's worth it to engage in physical violence and then deal with the potential consequences, i.e. criminal charges. If it's something that I need to act on immediately though, I have no fear of throwing down. Most guys these days are bitches though. Can't recall the last time someone tried to act tough without a bunch of their friends there to back them up.

good points, criminal charges are the other side of consequences other than getting hurt. My frined knew a guy, fromer spetsnaz who got 7 years jail time for killing two dudes with their own knife who were trying to assault a woman.

good points, criminal charges are the other side of consequences other than getting hurt. My frined knew a guy, fromer spetsnaz who got 7 years jail time for killing two dudes with their own knife who were trying to assault a woman.

Yeah, it's like society and the legal system want guys to be bitches, do nothing to defend themselves or others, just cower and call the police for help, like they're going to do anything since the shit is already hitting the fan. Fuck them.

Last time I had anything close to an altercation is when I was shitfaced and walked in on 2 dudes in the bathroom talking ( or doing blow ).

I opened the door and an emotional bro ( who was much taller and heavier ) told me to wait and gave me a shove and I was a little taken aback, being drunk and full of piss. I said " what's your fucking problem? " , he said something like " you don't want to get hurt alright " and I was just kinda laughing when his friend ( also in the bathroom and more sober ) calmed him down and apologized, then they left.

Not sure what it was all about but thats the kind of stupid shit that happens at last call in shit bars in boston.

Too many fights to count crew checking in.

Worked in club security about 8 years.

What is your actual question? Try to keep it succinct.

I'm an extremely relaxed person and have never gone looking for trouble or ever started anything. I've had friends act like idiots in a bar but have been able to diffuse the handful of situations. I've even made a couple of new friends after dumb situations like that. I've also cut ties with people who act out in public places for no reason.

Closest I've been to being in a fight in adulthood was when I was waiting on the street for a taxi and three drunk local guys came stumbling by me. One guy came walking back towards me and told me I'm a piece of shit foreigner and should go back to Canada, in perfect English no less so obviously he studied abroad. I'm American so inside I chuckled a bit but then quickly realized this could go south very quickly so I just smiled at him and nodded. He brushed up on me trying to instigate something. Luckily his friends got his attention and were telling him to get going. A cab had just pulled over so I hopped in and got the fuck out of there.

Totally dependent on the environment.

If there's enough room, I'll bend slightly at the knees, lean back a little and just lay on my back, shaking uncontollably and hugging myself.

Too many fights to count crew checking in.

Worked in club security about 8 years.

What is your actual question? Try to keep it succinct.

Open discussion, but bottom line the question is - when confronted do you engage / embrace the conflict or try to avoid?
Also can add another one - if you see someone getting beat up would you stand up for the victim or do somehting else?

Wondering how fellow sherdoggers act when face situations that can lead to a fight, conflicts etc.? A lot of tough warriors here :)

I personally had like 2-3 fights (outside of training) in my life and generally when there is a conflict in public ( subway, bar fight, school, road rage etc) I just walk away and don't react to insults because it is not worth it in my opinion and I don't think that I need to prove anything to stranger , especially if there is a possibilty to get stabbed or whatever.

As i get older those type of cofronting situations happen less and less, last time was 4 years ago when i lived in vancouver and some junkie looking guy approached me at bus stop and wanted an explantion as to why i am staring at him. I was just kinda in the zone looking really nowhere, but he thought I was looking at him and was really butthurt about it, wanted to get into fight and threw insults out of nowhere. I said just whatever guy, leave me alone. What would you do in this situaiton, would you fight him and engage in verbal arguement?

I started trainging diffrent martial arts as a kid and still train on and off . Back then it was for the purpose of self defense, but now I kinda think it is only good for hobby and keeping shape, not for actual self defense because if in fact you will try to use your skills you most likely will get hurt or killed. I live in Russia now and the thing is people with whom you might get in conflict usually have like a knife or a traumatic gun or a baseball bat in a trunk, so your chances are really not that great even if you are great at boxing or jiu jitsu.

I know couple people with different philoshy - they are teaching / training martial arts and put it to pratise when they see social injustice.

What are your thoughts on all this and what are your stories?

I learned a few nice tricks when bouncing over the years and fighting a lot as a junior Marine. I've probably been several hundred street/work encounters that resulted in violence.

Most importantly is to never let your guard down. There's a lot of cheap shots thrown in arguments, especially when alcohol is down. So if I'm in a verbal argument with someone, I never let them get in my face. I'll stick my hand out or take a step back before I let them stay inside the strike zone. If they get close, they can knock you out with a cheapshot or headbutt you and fuck you up. So keep them back, however you can.

Never get emotional during a fight. You'll make bad decisions. When the argument escalates to a physical threat, I start planning my movements and initial strikes. If you can hit first that's always better. The first punch I like to put right on the nose. If you hit them right, their eyes will water up and they'll be pretty visually impaired.

When you decide to swing, don't stop at one. Throw a few shots. The worst beating I ever took as a youth was trying to punch out this guy with one hit. I hit him perfectly and stopped to admire my work, well he ate that punch like a sandwich and pounded my face in. So if you're going to strike someone, make sure you continue until they are no longer a threat.

The best thing I ever read on the subject was by some former military guy in a reading requirement I had in the Marines. They went on about the act of killing and aggression vs people who are basically peacocking to look tough. You don't want to be a showboat in a fight, you want to win. So while they are running their mouth, use that time to calm yourself and pick a game plan for kicking his ass. Also aggression is key. Most fights I've seen the primary aggressor will win if he's a decent striker too.

The best advice I can give about fighting in the streets though is don't put yourself in situations where you can lose. In a street fight, you can be fully capable of kicking someone's ass, but get shot or stabbed instead because they don't want to take that ass beating. So it's always best to defuse the situation when possible and let it go. It's not worth someone's life, and even if you just kick their ass it could turn into a lawsuit.

I punched a guy who was sitting on my car hood with some chick straddling him outside my club once because his friends were grabbing onto me as I handled him. So when I pulled him off my car and he came back towards me, I just rocked him in the face. Well, he wound up falling like a sack of potatoes and banged his face on a car grill then onto the cement barriers in front of parking spots. One punch sent him to the hospital and fucked his entire mouth up. I was about to catch a lawsuit until I managed to have a lawyer deter them by the fact that he was technically committing a crime by damaging my property. It still cost me more than it was worth to fight it.

I'm like 6'4, 250lbs. Powerlifter and fighter.

Last edited:
OP - Awesome thread.

Edit your first post and ask posters to list their height too.

Back