How do thai's get away training 6x week 2x day

MMouse

Now you enter...the shredder
Banned
Reaction score
When each day involves high intensity of some sort.

Is this merely the fact that something they've built up too over the years? Genetic? Can anyone be able to do this if all they did was train?

I always wonder if westerners attempted this, how quickly would they find themselves overtraining?

They do it because they are MOTIVATED. They do it so they can eat.

-T

If someone has the time and motivation, they can eventually build up to ridiculous amounts of training. Ethnicity has nothing to do with it.

That seems to be how a lot of the pros I know train as well. They get in the gym early morning, train until 5-6 then teach classes until 10 then maybe some more training then home.

It's very impressive, I have no idea if it's optimal tho.

Because we've imposed a lot of bogus limits on ourselves. Lots of time based on nothing other than popular opinion.

They train and fight for a living; a majority of them have been doing Muay Thai for decades and it becomes second-nature, instinctive.

Sidenote: You cannot beat $5USD private lessons. The Thai boxing gyms that I went to were very dirty, though. Haha.

They do not get away with it. A lot of them are really fucked up when they get older (30+). Of course this has also a lot to do with fighting pretty much every second week...

Lots of pro athletes or serious amateurs in various sports train most days, two times a day.

It's a combination of slowly building up the work capacity, and (in general, I don't know specifically about tha Thais) intelligently mixing up what you do so that you are not stressing the same systems in the same way every day. There may be some sort of selection involved too- people who get to that level may already have somewhat superior physical endowment (superior recovery, superior resistance to injuries, etc).

When each day involves high intensity of some sort.

Is this merely the fact that something they've built up too over the years? Genetic? Can anyone be able to do this if all they did was train?

I always wonder if westerners attempted this, how quickly would they find themselves overtraining?

Enormous active recovery and aerobic capacity from the years of low intensity runs, and a lot of the work (especially sparring) is a lot lighter than you think it is.

I don't know, I've spent a month doubt that in Thailand several times and nothing bad happened.

I'm n Thailand now and I did 2x muay that sessions yesterday.

Many westrners go there for the express purpose of fighting and training as the Thais do. If you build up the capacity to do it, there's nothing wrong with it. I have a couple friends there doing it at the moment.

Many westrners go there for the express purpose of fighting and training as the Thais do. If you build up the capacity to do it, there's nothing wrong with it. I have a couple friends there doing it at the moment.

Actually, that reminds me. When I was a backpacker I met an English university student who had come out to do MT. Prior to that, he was just training a few times a week in the evenings. I remember his first few days he just trained in the mornings- three hour sessions. I saw him looking white as a sheet afterwards. He pretty much just went to eat a lot, slept most of the rest of the day, ate more, then slept until the next day. I think it was after 3-4 days he was able to do two a day. He ended up training the whole summer, got at least one competitive, fight. As far as I know, he didn't explode or die or anything like that.

People really do underestimate what they are capable of.

Actually, that reminds me. When I was a backpacker I met an English university student who had come out to do MT. Prior to that, he was just training a few times a week in the evenings. I remember his first few days he just trained in the mornings- three hour sessions. I saw him looking white as a sheet afterwards. He pretty much just went to eat a lot, slept most of the rest of the day, ate more, then slept until the next day. I think it was after 3-4 days he was able to do two a day. He ended up training the whole summer, got at least one competitive, fight. As far as I know, he didn't explode or die or anything like that.

People really do underestimate what they are capable of.

This guy sounds pretty typical of most guys training in Thailand. I do t think most people get a chance to train 2x a day and the majority of people probably train like 2-3x a week.

When they get to Thailand they don't have a job or anything taking up their time so within a few days or a week or something most people seem hair fine doing 2x a day. Lots of guys even run in the morning and the. Do their 2x a day.

I did 2x a day for the past 2 days but probably won't do much more while I'm here for he. Ext 10 days because I want to go diving and go to chiang Mai and stuff. I'm a bit sore but nothing that is going to slow me down...and image t been training Muay Thai for a few months.

It can be done.. that is what they do for a living. Train, eat, rest...

Plus consider that most of them are not really big guys (5´7 140lbs medium?) so it is easier to recover that way. I know because Im 5´8 136lbs and I can take training to a level than most of my training partners (who are bigger than me) can not.

They also usually pretty young. Most of those guys' bodies are shot by their early to mid 20s. You turn pro as a kid and fight until your body implodes in order to feed yourself and your family.

They dont train with max intensity like a tense falang retard, they kick and punch in a very relaxed manner mostly and then have a big sleep in the middle of the day

I trained out there (over 10 years ago).

I'd train from 6am til about 11am, and then from 3pm til 8pm. Pretty much whenever I wasn't training, I was eating or sleeping. I slept for 9 hours each night and took a 3 hour nap between training sessions. I ate about 5 meals a day easy.

Also, the training is tough but not as tough as you might think. Sparring and clinch work are very light contact, nobody spars full force.

It wasn't 5 hours of solid training either.

The morning sessions would go like this: 1-2 hour slow run, get back and spend about 15-20 minutes ditching your sweaty shirt and rehydrating... maybe sneak in another breakfast, then skipping for 30 minutes, rest for 5 mins... rehydrate, start shadow boxing... pretty slow and relaxed, then hit the bags for maybe an hour... hard as you can but you can rest a little here and there, then you queue'd for pad work which meant either just lazing around (which many thais did too) or if you were disciplined then some light cardio near the ring, then 30 minutes of pad work which was really gruelling, then some calisthenics. Grab some food and then go to bed.

The afternoon session was identical except that the run was much shorter (20 mins), and you did sparring and/or clinch work after the pad work. Very light sparring, no risk of getting hurt.

Back