How do I learn the takedowns that Josh Hinger does?

yetanother

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
He lands a bunch of cool takedowns at that start of this video:

What should I watch for details on how to do them?

I found a John Smith video series on duck under on youtube which seems to be a good start but looks a bit different.

It is closer to this, than the Smith's tutorial. It essentially is that way, but the opponent already has a collar tie and just grab his hip and circle to get him down.

It's just a standard duck under. I'm sure there are tons of instructionals on it. Any halfway decent wrestling coach will teach it to you pretty early on.

He lands a bunch of cool takedowns at that start of this video:

What should I watch for details on how to do them?

I found a John Smith video series on duck under on youtube which seems to be a good start but looks a bit different.

With all due respects to Josh Hinger, who I am sure is 100 times the grappler that I am, his take downs are painful to watch. He is landing them, but he is landing them on guys who know nothing about defending the takedown. The reason why John Smith's duck under tape looks different, is because John Smith is doing it right. Watch John Smith's tape or a plethora of other wrestlers who have put out a duck under tapes, do not try to emulate Hinger.

Last edited:
rock bottom grip in case your opponent gives you extra trouble

Takedowns are too savage and violent. Just pull guard.

With all due respects to Josh Hinger, who I am sure is 100 times the grappler that I am, his take downs are painful to watch. He is landing them, but he is landing them on guys who know nothing about defending the takedown. The reason why John Smith's duck under tape looks different, is because John Smith is doing it right. Watch John Smith's tape or a plethora of other wrestlers who have put out a duck under tapes, do not try to emulate Hinger.
Hinger is a California high school wrestling state champion. He knows how to wrestle...

One thing to keep in mind is that a standard duck under, if you don't hit it right, leaves you very open for a guillotine. Obviously not a problem in wrestling, but a big one in BJJ. I would guess that one reason Hinger stays a lot higher than you'd normally want on his ducks (other than that the stances are more upright in most of these matches than in a folk match) is to minimize the choke risk. Granted, it makes the TD a lot uglier since he's not able to turn the corner as much, but it's also a lot safer for jiu jitsu.

Hinger is a California high school wrestling state champion. He knows how to wrestle...

I never said he did not know how to wrestle, he is no where near the level of a John Smith, or a Sergey Belaglazov. I know that BJJ Heros says he was 145 pound champ, honestly California is one of the hardest state Championships to win, judging from the video he does not look like a California State Champion. He looks to have the skill level of a decent high school wrestler but not a California State Champion.

What makes California such a hard state to win is the fact there is only one division for each weight class, as opposed to most states that have different divisions for each weight classes based on the sizes of the high schools. It is not uncommon for there to be 4 state champions in each weight class, because you have divisions 1,2,3, and 4.

The California State Champion at 145 in 2000 was Chris Pendleton who ended up wrestling for Oklahoma State and won the NCAA's twice. If Hinger even made it to states he did not place in the top eight. Here is the link.

http://www.calgrappler.com/2000-california-state-high-school-wrestling-results/

BJJ Heros is not giving out accurate information.

Last edited:
Follow these videos that the homie, Jack posted in my "Superduck" thread:

Imo, these videos are better to follow than Sergei's, the translator misses some good details. That is unless you speak Russian :p

Looks like an old duck under. Saw a few snap downs in there as well. That's some clinching 101 stuff.

I'm surprised to see that some people think Hinger doesn't have solid wrestling. As far as wrestling for BJJ goes (keeping in mind submission threats and things like that) I think Hinger is one of the better wrestlers in the game right now. Maybe that speaks to the lower level of wrestling in BJJ as a whole, but either way he is one of the better wrestlers in the game right now. I've only seen him outwrestled on the feet one or maybe two times.

I'm surprised to see that some people think Hinger doesn't have solid wrestling. As far as wrestling for BJJ goes (keeping in mind submission threats and things like that) I think Hinger is one of the better wrestlers in the game right now. Maybe that speaks to the lower level of wrestling in BJJ as a whole, but either way he is one of the better wrestlers in the game right now. I've only seen him outwrestled on the feet one or maybe two times.

Hinger's wrestling is decent, but if you want to learn a wrestling technique you should seek to learn it in someone who specializes in wrestling. For that matter, the same goes for Jiu Jitsu, Ben Askren has been doing Jiu Jitsu for years, but I would not seek him out to learn attacks from the guard.

I hope it does not sound like I am shitting on Hinger, I saw him at the Chicago Open this year, and none of his matches were even close, the guy is a beast, but he is a phenomenal Jiu Jitsu practitioner, not a phenomenal wrestler.

Learning bjj applicable takedowns from someone with a great track record in a bjj setting seems like a pretty good idea to me.

Learning bjj applicable takedowns from someone with a great track record in a bjj setting seems like a pretty good idea to me.
While I do agree on the surface, there is also a tendency, not saying it's you. For some bjj people to avoid learning from "wrestlers" as much as possible

You mean the head butt to the solar plexus takedown? Because all the others were basically a duck under.

Last edited:

Yes the level of wrestling in bjj right now is much lower than I originally expected. I find wrestlers to on the whole be more athletic and stronger.
I'm surprised more elite bjj guys aren't wrestling 2-3x a week with high level wrestlers, especially if not specializing in sub only competitions.

Yes the level of wrestling in bjj right now is much lower than I originally expected. I find wrestlers to on the whole be more athletic and stronger.
I'm surprised more elite bjj guys aren't wrestling 2-3x a week with high level wrestlers, especially if not specializing in sub only competitions.
There are a few who have like Tonon and Maia. But even the younger athletic ones avoid it a lot of the time

Back