How did Mac Danzig build enough muscle as a vegan?

Grains, oats, beans, soy, nuts

And there are plenty of protein powders that are Vegan friendly Brewers Yeast, Rice, Soy, Spirulina etc..

There was a container of Brewers Yeast sitting on the kitchen table, during some scenes on the show.

that he eats "The Ultimate Meal" twice a day.

I mean it only makes sense. If you want to be "The Ultimate Fighter" you have to eat the ultimate meal.

http://www.ultimatelife.com/CatalogMeal.htm

ULTIMATEMEAL.jpg

I thought you guys were supposed to know about diet?

Apparently I was wrong.

Let me correct some misconceptions.

1)Beans do have fats.
2)Soy is not the hardest protein to digest or the least efficient or even close to being it. Familiarize yourselves with the biological value scale and the PDCAAS.
3)Mac doesnt even like using soy and you'll probably see that when he covers his diet on his blog.
4)A pound of beef will give you more protein than a pound of beans - but also more fat and cholesterol.

Of course not all of you had these misconceptions but they werent corrected so I thought I would.

More to the point it's not impossible or even that difficult to build as a vegan. You dont need to use supplements.

In fact I'm bulking right now on a supplement free vegan diet.

Considering my college does a shitty job of accommodating vegans I'm only getting around 120 g protein a day; I aim for higher but there is only so much munching on mixed nuts I can do to make up for sodexho failing. Back home where I can cook for myself, I regularly hit over 200g. Its not hard.

My hair isnt falling out, I'm not anemic, and I'm getting bigger. I'm also a lazy engineering student with not enough time or else I'd regularly make AT least 3 meals a day. Considering, I'm doing alright while expending little brain power into my diet and bulking, its not too bad.

more specific to the OPs question, here is a good example from veganbodybuilding.com

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/?page=article_average
I'm not a big fan of tofu so instead of tofu some tempeh or gluten could be used or even just beans.

I like chili a lot though so I'll make a chili with different types of beans and textured soy(mostly to give another texture in it besides beans) often. Also I'd generally eat higher protein vegetables like brussel sprouts and peas instead of the salads. Salads are overrated anyway.

See is not too hard and I'm a very picky eater. :icon_chee

As he has usually fought at 155, I would have thought Mac would be smaller than most of the other guys, but he seems right in the middle size wise. How do you build muscle like that being a vegan? Now, I know there are other sources of protein besides meat. But a vegan couldn't consume whey protein either. Those are the two main sources of protein for most people body builders. No meat, fish, eggs, whey...I guess that leaves soy and lentils and stuff like that?

All I'm saying is, that's a crapload of soy to be consuming, especially considering soy protein is one of the least efficient proteins at getting absorbed by your body. What do you guys think?

I'm not going to be signing up for that vegan nonense any time soon - just curious.

Meat is not the only (or most effective) way of building muscle. In vegetarian parlance, it's called "protein matching" and it's pretty involved, but you essentially eat different foods together that provide different forms of protein and precursor enzymes to compliment what type of training / muscle growth you're looking for.

There are several forms of protein that do not include meat's etc....

Then you have an explanation for the clydesdales, right doctor?

I know this has already been addressed, but I find it funny that a person who doesn't know that horses and humans are different species (with different metabolic physiologies) is trying to question another poster's intelligence :icon_chee

one of the worst responses ive ever seen. "people overrate protein" YOU CANT BUILD MUSCLE WITHOUT PROTEIN. its the building block.

ok i should clarify myself. Protein is effective at maintaining muscle mass but is weak when trying to build muscle on its own. It needs to be accompanied by carbs because of the insulin response carbs create. This insulin response makes one very anabolic (especially after workout) and also creates protein synthesis which enables muscle to be built. The more carbs one eats, the better due to a person staying in an anabolic environment (ofcourse there are limits to the amount of carbs that should be eaten). I did not say protein was unneeded, but alot of the ill informed think its the end all be all of muscle building. People also tend to eat too much protein. Eating excess protein accomplishes little for building muscle. Your body only needs so much.

Also, if youve ever seen a bodybuilders diet you would notice that during a bulk or mass phase, they eat a ton of carbs and cut down the protein. During a cut phase, they eat a ton of protein and cut back the carbs. This is mainly cuz insulin also promotes fat storage and water retention, something a bodybuilder doesnt want during a cut phase.

I know this has already been addressed, but I find it funny that a person who doesn't know that horses and humans are different species (with different metabolic physiologies) is trying to question another poster's intelligence :icon_chee

I find it funny that someone who's so dumb that they don't understand that muscles in horses are composed of the same basic building blocks as muscles in humans would question my intelligence.

Here, I'll break it down for you. Human muscle is made of protein, equine muscle is made of protein. People are claiming you can't build muscle without meat because you require protein to build muscle mass. Humans can produce proteins out of other substances, horses can produce proteins out of other substances. Is this really that hard to grasp? Do you really believe it's impossible to make connections between different species?

one minute people were excusing for him that he was too under sized when Mach stomped him. Mach under sized at 170, 160-165 type. Danzig a future at 170? Nope.

beans, pasta/beans, quinoa, veggies, soy, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc

The largest animals are almost always vegetarians. Don't you find that interesting?

As he has usually fought at 155, I would have thought Mac would be smaller than most of the other guys, but he seems right in the middle size wise. How do you build muscle like that being a vegan? Now, I know there are other sources of protein besides meat. But a vegan couldn't consume whey protein either. Those are the two main sources of protein for most people body builders. No meat, fish, eggs, whey...I guess that leaves soy and lentils and stuff like that?

All I'm saying is, that's a crapload of soy to be consuming, especially considering soy protein is one of the least efficient proteins at getting absorbed by your body. What do you guys think?

I'm not going to be signing up for that vegan nonense any time soon - just curious.

I don't know if i'm right, but didn't Mac say that he used to eat meat because he thought he needed it to build muscles etc, which means he could have bulked up before going vegan

+ from what i've understood, mac don't eat meat because he just doesn't like it, so it shouldn't stop him from drinking shakes of whey protein and shit like that?

I don't know if i'm right, but didn't Mac say that he used to eat meat because he thought he needed it to build muscles etc, which means he could have bulked up before going vegan

+ from what i've understood, mac don't eat meat because he just doesn't like it, so it shouldn't stop him from drinking shakes of whey protein and shit like that?

No; other people in this thread have already dispelled all of the dietary misinformation that you're regurgitating. Bovine udder secretions aren't vegan, so no to the whey protein.

The largest animals are almost always vegetarians. Don't you find that interesting?
that doesn't really mean much though, because an animal likea hippo, cow or elephant processes nutrients in a completely different manner than we do. our own digestive systems can't pull shit in terms of calories out of the grasses that make up the bulk of their diet (and stool lololololzies).

By not listening to all the people who told him it was impossible.

Former Mr. Universe and vegetarian convert Bill Perl continually has guys confronting him in the gym telling him it is impossible to build muscle without meat. After listening to long speeches of nutritional science he reminds them that he is a senior citizen with 19 inch biceps.

he's not a vegan though.

one of the worst responses ive ever seen. "people overrate protein" YOU CANT BUILD MUSCLE WITHOUT PROTEIN. its the building block.

Think of it this way- the more carbs you take in, the more energy you have to build and gain muscle.

Carbs>protein

I find it funny that someone who's so dumb that they don't understand that muscles in horses are composed of the same basic building blocks as muscles in humans would question my intelligence.

Here, I'll break it down for you. Human muscle is made of protein, equine muscle is made of protein. People are claiming you can't build muscle without meat because you require protein to build muscle mass. Humans can produce proteins out of other substances, horses can produce proteins out of other substances. Is this really that hard to grasp? Do you really believe it's impossible to make connections between different species?
Got first hand experience of this carb diet and training? No need to even go through the trouble and dig up facts about physiological differences between us. Why don't you try your methods? Get on a high carb diet and lift weights for a couple of months, then switch to a high protein diet. Tell me which worked more. It's that easy. In fact, you don't need to tell me anything, I guarantee you will prove yourself wrong.

If however, you somehow manage to find a way to build muscles effectively with a predominantly carbohydrate diet, please enlighten the WHOLE world. I think there are a couple hundred million health freaks in the world that could use your groundbreaking inventions. And damn, all these Chinese farmers could get buff with rice. Only if they knew!
RedFox89 said:
Think of it this way- the more carbs you take in, the more energy you have to build and gain muscle.

Carbs>protein
You too. Start training for once and gather information. You will learn A LOT of new revolutionary things. :wink:

Got first hand experience of this carb diet and training? No need to even go through the trouble and dig up facts about physiological differences between us. Why don't you try your methods? Get on a high carb diet and lift weights for a couple of months, then switch to a high protein diet. Tell me which worked more. It's that easy. In fact, you don't need to tell me anything, I guarantee you will prove yourself wrong.

If however, you somehow manage to find a way to build muscles effectively with a predominantly carbohydrate diet, please enlighten the WHOLE world. I think there are a couple hundred million health freaks in the world that could use your groundbreaking inventions. And damn, all these Chinese farmers could get buff with rice. Only if they knew!

You too. Start training for once and gather information. You will learn A LOT of new revolutionary things. :wink:

Yes I agree. You need protein and a lot of it. There is no substitute. I'm making do while at college with adequate but par intakes and dont expect any real gains until the summer when I can cook for myself. I'm still gaining but I know I could be doing better.

Maybe I should order some hemp protein shake mix...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltonmjr
Back