How Did Anderson Silva Get So Good at Head Movement?

i think its hard to gauge for a guy with an insane chin. even that broke eventually. the shots he took from henderson and rich were like they were nothing. I'm guessing he's spared alot and let himself get hit a bit so he could see it coming.

Lots of training and if you can dodge a ball smaller than a tennis ball you can dodge fists.

Ring rust is a real factor. GSP wasn't as good when he came back and fought vs. Carlos Condit after a nearly 2 year long lay off because of his knee injury. Jon Jones wasn't as good when he came back after his lay off and fought OSP. Hell even Khabib was not as good as he can be when he fought MJ after his 2 years break (especially in the first round).

I don't think I have to explain how age and coming back from a serious injury are also big factors.

Ring rust and injury, while serious, happened recently, toward the end of his career. Silva has been dealing with 'bad performances' all his career. Despite his many spectacular performances and perfect reign as a champion, there were serious discussions whether he was going to get cut from the UFC(!) because he would sometimes outright refuse to fight someone. While in the ring with them. He'd dance around and act goofy for literally five rounds (something he got away with for five rounds, until Weidman punished him for it).

Headlines during Silva's reign:
"Once Again, Dana White Apologizes For Anderson Silva’s Performance" (after Demian Maia)
"Anderson Silva's job still on line at UFC 117, but poor performance won't dictate cut"

Dana White on Silva:

after Demian Maia fight: ".. I will make this up to the fans that bought that shit tonight." "..I’d like to say he lost his mind tonight, but this is the third time this has happened, this isn’t the first time."

MMA junkie article from 2010:
"Silva, of course, has been heavily criticized in the past for having off-nights. The Brazilian was widely panned for a UFC 90 win over Patrick Cote when most observers felt Silva simply toyed with his opponent before a third-round knee injury forced the Canadian to bow out of the match.

The champ followed that performance with a lackluster decision win over Thales Leites at UFC 97. While Leites’ butt-scooting attack was also to blame for the lack of action in that matchup, much of the blame again fell to Silva for a refusal to engage.

But it’s not those types of performances that White says will have him reaching for a pink slip. Instead, the UFC exec says it would take a repeat of Silva’s UFC 112 display against Demain Maia – complete with mat-slapping, trash-talking and general unsportsmanlike behavior – to get his blood boiling on Saturday night.

SURE HE IS A GREAT GREAT FIGHTER, but it's NOT just his undefeatable limitless perfect skills! He does not see the future! His reflexes are just human!

When he is presented with an opponent that won't bite, that won't show openings, he refuses to engage or take risks. I'm sorry but that's literally what happened his entire career.

MIND GAMES IM TELLIN U
also aliens

Sorry, but it just doesn't add up for me.. When people can't properly explain your successes (oh it's his superhuman reflexes, superhuman skills), and people can't explain your poor performances (oh his ring rust, bad nights, weird ambience) then your success is probably dependent on some factor that the spectators can't see. I'm convinced it's his mind games and provocation.

That's a great observation. This feels like one of those things where the same sorta inchoate impression in the back of your mind ('being just plain 'superhuman' doesn't seem like a compelling explanation to me; what can I actually learn from this?'), but it doesn't really click into full awareness until someone just says it explicitly.

Last edited:
That's a great observation. This feels like one of those things where the same sorta inchoate impression in the back of your mind ('being just plain 'superhuman' doesn't seem like a compelling explanation to me; what can I actually learn from this?'), but it doesn't really click into full awareness until someone just says it explicitly.
It's a semantic stopsign:

https://wiki.lesswrong.com/wiki/Semantic_stopsign

His head movement is actually not that great compared to other boxers. It only looks great cuz he shows it off and his opponents are bad strikers. All boxers can slip and weave but they don't usually slip for as long as Silva does it cuz they ain't trying to show off.

Back