How Did Anderson Silva Get So Good at Head Movement?

Neuro

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
And dodging/counter punches. Seriously. He can't have just trained x times longer than other muay thai strikers. I wanna know the man's secret.

this man obviously

steven-seagal.jpg

what other good muay thai strikers have we seen him fight? its alot easier to dodge and counter against mma boxers and jiujitsu guys.

Also I saw a vid of him training head movement where the trainer threw a rubber ball at his face from a foot away while silva was up against a wall

At first I thought it just looked so good because of the quality of strikers he faced, but even against Belfort he was weaving and dodging. Lots of practice + a little bit of awesomeness in his genetic code.

Hamburgers

Hamburgers2101_468x708.jpg

And if you are following this thread Anderson!!!

We have kidnapped your favorite Brazilian Hamburger Chief!!

So you better keep fighting and winning, if you know what is good for you!

andersonsilvavs2bigmacs.gif

Last edited:
Well, he does look up to Roy Jones Jr. too...

But Roy is shorter than Anderson?

And dodging/counter punches. Seriously. He can't have just trained x times longer than other muay thai strikers. I wanna know the man's secret.

He's facing strikers than aren't as good as him.

He trains in boxing as well as MT.

He is exceptionally talented.

etc.

Equal parts training + natural skill + a gift from the genetic gods

He's facing strikers than aren't as good as him.

He trains in boxing as well as MT.

He is exceptionally talented.

etc.

This. Add in the tennis ball drills and you have a man with a very high kinesthetic awareness.

i think the simple answer is because he trains it. i'm willing to bet that he does a lot of head movement drills, some of which we've seen, as part of his training. from my experience fighters don't focus on this. yeah, when they spar and do mitt work the coach says "move your head," or "use head movement," but i think anderson probably has done a lot of SPECIFIC head movement drills. especially because he likes to box so much.

I think its his footwork that's given him success more than his head movement. A lot of the time I don't think he'd even get hit if he left his head stationary b/c he puts himself in good positions. The picture of Forrest jabbing at him is an example.

I was going to say dancing, as Anderson is a great dancer, however that ignores the source which is quite simply natural ability.

Because he has meticulously studied the movements of bobble heads.

Aside from being a very gifted athlete, I'm sure he does a lot of specific drills.

I know RJJ used to spar for entire rounds and not allow himself to throw a punch, instead he would "see" the opportunity to counterpunch but not take it. This gave him a heightened ability to sense the opportunity so that when it came he was already on the counter attack.

I think he got to a point in his training where it was obvious he had a gift for attacking, then decided to work on this part of his training to complement it.

His fight again Griffin was a treat to watch.

Back