How common are knock outs in amateur fights?

Dayuum

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Do you need exceptional punching power like Tyson who won nearly all his amateur fights in 1st round knock outs?

Always bothered me that Roy Jones Jr didnt manage to knock out that korean in Seoul during the olympics

I would assume theres more, because the disparity between mediocre and good fighters is greater

in MMA? more than in amateur boxing (at least in the beginner and novice divisions of amateur boxing) b/c of standing 8 counts. good ref's in amateur boxing specifically attempt to avoid guys getting knocked out cold. the amateur bouts i lost were never from being knocked out cold, but the ref stepping in before that.

in MMA? there were i think 4 guys knocked out straight on the last card i fought on.

I actually find there are a fair amount because of the disparity in amateur talent level.

Very few knockouts. An amature ref that wants to keep his job will stop bouts after a knockdown, two standing eights in the same round or three standing eights over mutiple rounds. Its to prevent guys from being punch drunk before a pro carreer

very difficult to knock someone out with them helmets. they absorb so much of the power

No they don't.

And there's not a whole lot of "knock outs" in Amateur Boxing. There are far more ref stoppages or Doctor stoppages because of the different rules.

in MMA? more than in amateur boxing (at least in the beginner and novice divisions of amateur boxing) b/c of standing 8 counts. good ref's in amateur boxing specifically attempt to avoid guys getting knocked out cold. the amateur bouts i lost were never from being knocked out cold, but the ref stepping in before that.

in MMA? there were i think 4 guys knocked out straight on the last card i fought on.

I've seen more than enough mma cards where there were no knockouts to speak of.

I've seen guys get stopped in amateur fights under similar circumstances to where a pro bout would be stopped (guy is on wobbly legs, glassy eyed, not responding to referee) but I can only think of one or two times where I have seen a guy get knocked down to the point where it looked like he wouldn't get up by the count of ten. Ref's in the amateurs usually don't like to let things go that long and in the sub-novice and novice divisions if there is an obvious disparity in skill between the two fighters they will usually call it before it gets too bad.

I think a lot of the reason that there aren't as many KO stoppages has to do with the shorter rounds, the fact that amateurs tend to try and throw a lot of punches to win rounds, lack of technique, and (even though some think it is b.s. on here) the headgear and the gloves has something to do with the lack of brutal knockouts. Amateur competition gloves have a lot of padding over the knuckle. They ain't necessarily Cleto-Reyes if you get my drift.

It's just as well. Why let kids get their heads beat in if they are participating in the sport on this level. Just to learn and participate is what I mean.

That being said amatuer boxing can be chaotic in terms of show organization, refing, judging, etc. Small local monthly shows held at or by a gym are always a cluster f*ck. A lot of bad knockdowns, stoppages, calls, etc.

It depends if you mean knockouts or stoppages.

Actual full blooded knockouts? Relatively rare.

Ref stoppages? Pretty common... probably more so than the pro's.

very difficult to knock someone out with them helmets. they absorb so much of the power

The purpose of a headguard isn't to stop people getting ko'ed, it's to stop fighters getting cut. As people have already said it's more refs stopping fights than fighters getting ko'ed.

I boxed for a couple years, relatively low-level in-state matchups and never saw anyone get ko'd. Only a few ref stoppages also (much less than 5% of fights).

They try to make all equal matchups, both in age and experience. For example, you don't see guys with 3 fights fighting someone with 40, or even something like an 18yr old with 2 fights fighting a 30yr old with 2 fights.

Most amateur fights have everyone gas after 1 round :icon_chee, and most are only 3 2-minute rounds in most of them anyway, so there's not much time to ko someone.

^^ and there goes the KO power because you gassed

Pure KOs are more common in the open class (even though theres very little KOs), and referee stoppages are more common in the novice class

Not a lot, but there are a lot of ref stoppages (at least in my experience).

refs stop fight very early in amateur boxing. often when i fought a clean punch would result in a standing 8 count.

The standing 8 count was very frustrating for me. Land any decent shot and the guy will get time to recover which makes it harder to knock him out.

I remember the referee stopping a fight within a minute via jabs.

Back