How accurately does Sherdog represent MMA fans?

At first, some of them seem to know what they are talking about, and after 2 or 3 minutes, it's as pointless as talking about what will happen in Avengers 4 but with more superpowers involved when they talk about MMA.

My BJJ buddies are very fun in that regard though. They are more knowledgeable, sometimes they get a bit biased when they are a fan of someone but all in all they are less extreme and kind of understand that MMA is a very tough business and that nobody is invincible. BJJ is far from MMA but we still kind of understand what can happen in a fight. We had a blast talking about the 2 kneebars this weekend, even trying it before classes.

I try to change the topic or if it won't work try to pointlessly explain to get to another topic.

Yeah it's hugely different to talk about fighting with someone who's trained at least one art. Be it a grappler or a striker. For example, we were talking about the difference between Hendo's and Anderson's clinch once they're up close, that Hendo would negate Anderson's thai plum since he takes away space with double unders. But because of the high kick it didn't come to that more interesting aspect, as Spider was truly elite in that, maybe could overcome the norm. Fun coffee table talk regardless.

Last edited:
I think you see both extremes, more in the way of more knowledge fans here than the average viewer but also more in the way of totally brainwashed drones.

We're the short bus of the mma fanbase.

Ppl don't act "themselves" on the internet. It's the anonymity that makes them overly courageous (i.e. Assholey).

Go to live event (or a bar that is showing the fights) and see for yourself - 90% of the behaviour here you'll see there.

The best and brightest are here.

It's hard to tell anymore. Most threads are filled with wannabe comedians or children posting pictures or gifs hunting for likes. There's very little discussion about fights or mma in general, just goons trying to get one over on each other.

Only people I know in real life who love mma won't come near this place with a barge pole but then they're in their forties.

In my demographic and country it doesn't represent it accurately.

Pretty damn accurately.

The only difference is, in real life MMA fans laugh at each other more and don't yell and swear and call each other names for liking different fighters.

Facts.

It's hard to tell anymore. Most threads are filled with wannabe comedians or children posting pictures or gifs hunting for likes. There's very little discussion about fights or mma in general, just goons trying to get one over on each other.

Only people I know in real life who love mma won't come near this place with a barge pole but then they're in their forties.

In my demographic and country it doesn't represent it accurately.

close20door.gif

In my opinion, Liddell is probably the most popular and recognizable MMA Athlete, of past and present fighters, to those who don't follow MMA globally. There are still many places where McGregor could walk around at, and some would have no clue who he is, while rare for Liddell in that aspect. I also believe McGregor's popularity is based more so off of the hype created around him by the UFC, and the marketing strategies put forth by himself, his management and the UFC. While Liddell gained most of his popularity/notoriety from his fighting and his recognizable appearance, plus he came from an era, where social media wasn't the marketing tool, that it is today.
are you insane? There are villages in remote Africa and India with Conor fanboys. No one outside of American trailer parks knows Lidell aside from mma fans.

The average MMA fan does not go on Sherdog, just like the average voter does not go on Twitter.

<TheDonald>

Really?

I know people who still think Ronda is the best fighter of all time.

I'm not sure what kind of brain injury ward you've been hanging around but my experience with fans irl has been far less nauseating than here on Sherdog.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back