How About Kelvin Gastelum vs. Derek Brunson?

Arkridge

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Makes perfect sense imo. Both are coming off dominant early KO wins and looking to break into that "elite tier" at 185. They're about in the same spot in the division and another win will put them right up there in the discussion for a top 5 guy or potentially a title shot. I think this is the perfect fight to make right now and would be an awesome headliner for the Charlotte event.

What do you guys think? Brunson wants it. Would be a barn burner.

They better have the stretcher ready again if that goes ahead. Bombs will be dropped.

They better have the stretcher ready again if that goes ahead. Bombs will be dropped.
Both guys have very, very good hands. Brunson is a legit KO artist but still no one recognizes him as such.

Makes perfect sense imo. Both are coming off dominant early KO wins and looking to break into that "elite tier" at 185. They're about in the same spot in the division and another win will put them right up there in the discussion for a top 5 guy or potentially a title shot. I think this is the perfect fight to make right now and would be an awesome headliner for the Charlotte event.

It would be a great fight but Derek is beefing with both Luke and Costa right now. I don't see how they could book Derek against anybody but those two right now.

It would be a great fight but Derek is beefing with both Luke and Costa right now. I don't see how they could book Derek against anybody but those two right now.
Luke has made it clear that isn't a fight he wants. He wants Romero, Weidman, or Jacare. He's turned down Brunson multiple times. Costa doesn't deserve that fight yet imo. His best win is the corpse of Johny Hendricks. I'd like to see Costa fight the winner of Uriah Hall / Vitor Belfort before getting a guy like Brunson, who is arguably top 5 right now.

Somebodies getting bodied. I like it.

If they allow Kelvin to fight Whitaker,.....Rockhold and Romero will visit UFC headquarters and clean fu*king house.

If they allow Kelvin to fight Whitaker,.....Rockhold and Romero will visit UFC headquarters and clean fu*king house.
No way in hell does Gastelum deserve a title fight right now. He's still fresh off that loss to Weidman.

H8ahFct.gif
Lets do this...

No way in hell does Gastelum deserve a title fight right now. He's still fresh off that loss to Weidman.

Agreed! But I saw an article trying to make the case being that he beat the former Champ....Chicken Champ!

At least Bisping fought SOMEONE with the belt on the line.....McNugget still has NEVER defended anything, EVER!

I'd rather see gastelum vs woodley 2.

I think that ship has sailed now since Kelvin barely made weight against Bisping. Even he wasn't talking about WW anymore.

I wouldn't mind seeing Kelvin vs Brunson or Costa. Kelvin needs to show he can handle the bigger MW's. He couldn't handle the size difference against Weidman.

Brunson's defense is awful
But he's the bigger stronger better wrestler
I like him in the fight even if he has to take some early punishement to get itt done

I like the match up... Brunson vs. Gastelum is the perfect fight to find out where both stand in the MW division.

I would be really surprised if Bisping's next fight isn't versus Rockhold in London for his swan song and settling the rubber match.

Brunson's defense is awful
But he's the bigger stronger better wrestler
I like him in the fight even if he has to take some early punishement to get itt done
The size advantage is definitely a big help. No one remembers the fact that he's a 3x NCAA All American.

Back