How about Glover Teixeria vs Shogun Rua?

Gus was tagging him pretty effectively late in their fight and Glover is 38. Jones beat him up late too and he didn't have a chance to adjust vs Rumble.

Adjustments or not I think it is fair to say that Glover is a step behind the better LHW strikers.

Glover beats everyone at 205 except the very upper tier. I don't think that he is underrated so much as he can't break thru the top level.

I have no problem with him fighting shogun or even someone like Manuwa next I just don't see much of a point in feeding him to D.C.

Yes we know Gus,Jones and Rumble are better than him but who do you propose fights DC after he fights Volkan if Gus is still injured or injured again like he so often is?I don't care if someone doesn't like a certain fight,or if one is unlikely to win,but at least say what makes more sense.You can make all the points in the world but just say who makes more sense,that shouldn't be hard.

Champion : Daniel Cormier
1 Alexander Gustafsson
2 Volkan Oezdemir
3 Glover Teixeira
4 Jimi Manuwa
5 Ovince Saint Preux
6 Mauricio Rua
7 Misha Cirkunov
8 Corey Anderson
9 Ilir Latifi
10 Patrick Cummins
11 Rogerio Nogueira
12 Gadzhimurad Antigulov
13 Tyson Pedro
14 Jared Cannonier
15 Jan Blachowicz

It baffles you??? How can he not think he's in the title picture? He's the 3rd ranked LHW only behind Gus and Volkan and he won by tko last night. Volkan already has the title shot in a fight that's coming up in a month and Gus is out with injury. He's the next highest ranked fighter at LHW that is ready to fight after Volkan
JKS,

He has been starting to look terrible though on the feet, you have to admit that though. Still hits hard but LHW is a dangerous division to be slow in unless you can get every fight to the ground.

He gets slower every fight. and was getting killed on the feet by a grappler. Luckily When your a high level BJJ guy your skills stay with you better as you age. Cormier beats him easily and so does Gus. 205 needs some new blood, its starting to look like a weak division. On the feet Volkan will KO Glover as well, but if Glover can get the fight to the ground he will dominate Volkan as I am not convinced of his ground game.

Its impressive that Glover can still be a top 5 fighter at his age considering this isnt HW. But is it going to sell tickets to put Glover in a title fight when he is looking older each fight?

Winner of Shogun vs Glover should get the next title shot.

Yes we know Gus,Jones and Rumble are better than him but who do you propose fights DC after he fights Volkan if Gus is still injured or injured again like he so often is?I don't care if someone doesn't like a certain fight,or if one is unlikely to win,but at least say what makes more sense.You can make all the points in the world but just say who makes more sense,that shouldn't be hard.

Champion : Daniel Cormier
1 Alexander Gustafsson
2 Volkan Oezdemir
3 Glover Teixeira
4 Jimi Manuwa
5 Ovince Saint Preux
6 Mauricio Rua
7 Misha Cirkunov
8 Corey Anderson
9 Ilir Latifi
10 Patrick Cummins
11 Rogerio Nogueira
12 Gadzhimurad Antigulov
13 Tyson Pedro
14 Jared Cannonier
15 Jan Blachowicz

I don't have a problem with Glover getting a shot I would just prefer he earns it against an actual contender rather than getting it by default on a 1 fight win streak because no one else is available. The division is getting insanely stale.

Whoever gets the next shot after Oezdemir should beat one of these guys in my humble opinion:

1 Alexander Gustafsson
2 Volkan Oezdemir
3 Glover Teixeira
4 Jimi Manuwa
5 Ovince Saint Preux

So far Glover lost to Gus and beat OSP, 1-1, Jimi Manuwa called hum out last night, that would be a decent win to get him a shot I suppose, given the circumstances.

JKS,

He has been starting to look terrible though on the feet, you have to admit that though. Still hits hard but LHW is a dangerous division to be slow in unless you can get every fight to the ground.

He gets slower every fight. and was getting killed on the feet by a grappler. Luckily When your a high level BJJ guy your skills stay with you better as you age. Cormier beats him easily and so does Gus. 205 needs some new blood, its starting to look like a weak division. On the feet Volkan will KO Glover as well, but if Glover can get the fight to the ground he will dominate Volkan as I am not convinced of his ground game.

Its impressive that Glover can still be a top 5 fighter at his age considering this isnt HW. But is it going to sell tickets to put Glover in a title fight when he is looking older each fight?

Yes yes and yes. However, he is ranked where he is and that can't really be denied. I don't see him beating Gus or Cormier, although I do think the Cormier fight will be very competitive. But even with him slowing down he still has the ground game to fall back on and that can pretty much beat the entire division aside the two above. I dont think the UFC will have much of a choice if all their prospects at LHW aren't coming through.

He shouldn't even be ranked that high. Glover will never win the title, or even get close to it.

Well for one he's already close to it, lol. Look at his ranking but yeah I doubt he's winning it. He's only lost to the best in Jones, Rumble and Gus....he has beaten everyone else. His ranking is exactly where he should be, . Look at the current top 15, Glover has beaten 4 guys there which is more than most LHWs in the division. Pretty much all his wins in the UFC are over ranked guys.

Why not. It would be a good stand up fight. Glover's a boxer at heart and we know what Shogun brings.

Shogun via flying armbar

Shogun wants to fight a bigger name.

He’s not afraid or anything, and he isn’t scared of Glover, he just wants to fight a really big name.

Maybe catch weight with Erik Silva.

Well for one he's already close to it, lol. Look at his ranking but yeah I doubt he's winning it. He's only lost to the best in Jones, Rumble and Gus....he has beaten everyone else. His ranking is exactly where he should be, . Look at the current top 15, Glover has beaten 4 guys there which is more than most LHWs in the division. Pretty much all his wins in the UFC are over ranked guys.
Yeah well, he just came back from what ever dimension rumble sent him too. He needs a few good wins to get back, and not beat low guys like this.

Shogun wants to fight a bigger name.

He’s not afraid or anything, and he isn’t scared of Glover, he just wants to fight a really big name.

Maybe catch weight with Erik Silva.
That's cruel feeding Shogun to a young lion like Silva. That kid is the future :p

Prediction- Shogun fights 1 time in 2018.

Shogun should be closer to a TS than Glover. 3 fight winning streak vs 1.

Damn LHW is a wasteland.

A couple years ago you had Jones, Davis, Bader, and the former LHW champs Jones ran through. Without them, it is indeed a wasteland.

Yeah well, he just came back from what ever dimension rumble sent him too. He needs a few good wins to get back, and not beat low guys like this.

He's got one win left to get that shot, and guys like Glover are in this position cause LHW is so weak. I mean for crying out loud Volkan Oezdemir got the shot after a split with OSP, KO over Misha and a KO over Manuwa who are three guys who are not proven top LHWs. The three of them combined have like a few top 10 wins. He's that close cause timing works in his favor, he just fought and won and Cormier/Volkan is in exactly 1 month and Gus is injured.....if the LHW title fight was in May then time doesnt work for him and he has to fight more. I personally dont mind Glover getting a shot if Cormier/Volkan are champ cause its a fresh match up we've never seen before. I think Gus is the #1 contender.

Glover is slow now in striking, but I think he would destroy Shogun on the ground.

Back