Hips and what they mean to me

Thank you! How would stiff hips be meant for boxing though? In other words them videos sinister posted I'm not understanding what he means. For instance the Mosley video just looks like was hurt/tired. But I may be missing something

You wanna look at how he moves when he gets hurt, and how he responds to punches in general. As soon as he gets dropped by Pac, he reacts to the first thing Pac does like this:

ifridZ9tFEfb6.gif

Look at that broken posture. His spine is curled into nearly an upside down U and his head is looking at the floor. If he had stronger hips, he would look more like he was doing a squat. His back would be straight, his head would still be facing the opponent, he'd be better balanced and actually able to do something. Right after this moment, you see him respond to back coming forward by straightening his legs and trying to retreat out of range and outside Pac's lead foot. Because of his stiff hips, he can only defend by straightening his legs and trying to move away or by breaking his posture and ducking.

Here's a good example of what Sin was saying where he can use his hips defensively for short periods but then has to move when they fatigue

ibx2LPFhEWWZTQ.gif

So he starts off trying to move his feet, but he isn't fast enough and Canelo corners him. In the corner, he plants for a second and uses his hips a little (though not perfectly) and it makes his head harder to hit. Canelo still bangs the body, but notice that the left hook to the head doesn't connect. However, within a few seconds Mosley gets back to straightening his legs and trying to get out of range, but gets caught with that right hand on the way out. Contrast that with Canelo who is constantly moving hip to hip so his head movement takes less effort and lets him return fire.

You can see the stiff hips in action in how upright Mosley is, how much he leans back and retreats instead of slipping, changing levels, planting and countering.

psoas-stretch1.jpg

squeeze through the angle where the belly and hip meet. forcefully contract glues

psoas-stretch.jpg

next picture, you have to forcefully squeeze together your abs and stretch your erectors upwards and take your upper back downward at the same time as you do the above

psoas_stretch_kneel.jpg

then, you go to

x7a.png

= miracle result

nothing complicated, its common sense. stiff hip means you cant move your body as well, your whole body is stiff as fuck as a result, you have back force and stability through your body.. you can add more yourself

What exercises or drills could the striker or coach implement to develop flexible hips?

The tile exercise is great but there is more you can do. Deep squat variations are very important. I'm talking ass to grass with perfect form--heels down, back straight, knees pushed apart, shoulders retracted and glutes firmly engaged. Things like goblet squats:

Goblet-Squat_21.jpg

Bulgarian split squats:

111_2.jpg

Overhead squats:

oh-squat.jpg

(dat shoulder mobility do)

Stretching is important too. I like this one:

hip-flexor-stretch-treble-in-the-kitchen-2.jpg

Read babba's post for more on that.

And of course everyone should dead lift:

hot-girl-working-out-8.jpg

I also like wrestlers bridges to warm the glutes and hips up, side leg raises to work balance and mobility for kicking (can do them laying down with a band to get the external rotators working harder), and I personally foam roll the shit out of my IT band, glutes and quads.

Thank you! How would stiff hips be meant for boxing though? In other words them videos sinister posted I'm not understanding what he means. For instance the Mosley video just looks like was hurt/tired. But I may be missing something

Mosley was definitely hurt/tired. He was getting hurt, because his hips (and as a result, legs) were tired.

What exercises or drills could the striker or coach implement to develop flexible hips?

Can't give everything away for free my man. Gotta leave something my own athletes pay me for.

The tile exercise is great but there is more you can do. Deep squat variations are very important. I'm talking ass to grass with perfect form--heels down, back straight, knees pushed apart, shoulders retracted and glutes firmly engaged. Things like goblet squats:

Bulgarian split squats:

Overhead squats:

Stretching is important too. I like this one:

Read babba's post for more on that.

And of course everyone should dead lift:

I also like wrestlers bridges to warm the glutes and hips up, side leg raises to work balance and mobility for kicking (can do them laying down with a band to get the external rotators working harder), and I personally foam roll the shit out of my IT band, glutes and quads.

Two things:

- Some people's hips are so stiff they can't even DO the tile exercise. They use all legs and back. These are the ones who need mobility improvement first, through stretching and more basic PT-oriented exercises. Personally I never did understand trainers who make requests of their potential athletes that are all but physically impossible for them.

- Way to get guys to pay attention with the photos.

Two things:

- Some people's hips are so stiff they can't even DO the tile exercise. They use all legs and back. These are the ones who need mobility improvement first, through stretching and more basic PT-oriented exercises. Personally I never did understand trainers who make requests of their potential athletes that are all but physically impossible for them.

- Way to get guys to pay attention with the photos.

Oh I know, my lead hip was like that for a long time. No mobility at all, it was weak AND inflexible. It's still a work in progress, but within the last week actually I had sort of a breakthrough. I've been doing a lot of stretches and some pt type exercises to build up to the exercises I mentioned and then finally being able to perform them well is what eventually got both my hips loose and strong enough to use my hips right. I'm really excited about it.

Ha, I know my audience.

When hips are stiff, it means they lack mobility to bend. In other words, the person won't be able to hold them in a flexed position while supporting weight for long before the muscles give out, and/or won't have the flexibility to fold deeply at the hips and get enough movement there to produce results.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, now we're getting somewhere

So the hips.... we're basically talking about the ability to articulate the sacrum like this assumedly latin lady:
giphy.gif

I'm gathering that the more bent my knees are, the more I'm able to articulate my hips. My issue becomes that my legs go dead tired very quickly when I stay crouched... especially when I'm working from a dropped level. Watching pros, they don't spend a lot of time in this dropped level. In fact, they seem to be somewhat tall throughout the fight.
Break it down even stupider.
A guy who has good hips can do this: [Something super basic like... literally the movement and the body part moving, or the action and the body part acting], a guy who has bad hips cannot.

So Mosley is compensating by stepping with his feet and pushing himself along, instead of doing _____________.

Last edited:

S the hips.... we're basically talking about the ability to articulate the sacrum like this assumedly latin lady:

I'm gathering that the more bent my knees are, the more I'm able to articulate my hips. My issue becomes that my legs go dead tired very quickly when I stay crouched... especially when I'm working from a dropped level. Watching pros, they don't spend a lot of time in this dropped level. In fact, they seem to be somewhat tall throughout the fight.
A guy who has good hips can do this: [Something super basic like... literally the movement and the body part moving, or the action and the body part acting], a guy who has bad hips cannot.

So Mosley is compensating by stepping with his feet and pushing himself along, instead of doing _____________.

lol@"assumedly latin"

Well, her motion is more dynamic in nature. Remember, boxing is both dynamic and static. What's one of the worst things tired fighters do? Stand straight up. Why do they do that? When flexor muscles are tired, they can't hold engaged positions. You stand straight up, you get nailed.

In the gif above that a guy posted, you can see opposites happening in each guy. Canelo pins Mosley to the ropes, then drops his elevation and engages his own hips. At first Mosley's are engaged and it's not so bad. But then he can't move. So he gets hit a little bit, his reaction (without mobility of the joint) is to straighten up and try to walk back, and he gets hit again when he doesn't retreat quickly enough.

Your legs get tired easily because as you mentioned, you're primarily using THEM to hold the crouch position. To better your ability to hold position, you let the biggest joint do all the work once it's developed, the hips.

A guy who has good hips can use them to move his head and get out of the way without needing to run around and do a lot of work. A guy with poor hips cannot. Mosley is stepping dramatically as opposed to staying in range, making Canelo miss, and firing back at the openings, like Marquez does.

Good hips are rare in the Pros nowadays unless they're just there by happy coincidence. I think I've only ever heard of a few trainers speak on hip-mobility in the Gyms I've been in.

Last edited:
Some great insight already put out there, but I had another more simplistic suggestion/question.

Have you considered muay thai drills as well?

Pretty much everything outside the familiar grounds of punching to boxers, the kicking/kneeing/elbowing is very hip intensive (among other things like glute, core, and other posterior chain activations) and might expose you to ranges of motion you may not normally be used to.

Last edited:
its not that complicated, apizur. good hips means they arent stiff, a stiff muscle - what happens? easily tired, easily pain, easily injury, less mobility. hip is open, more movement not stiff, etc.. you are more stable and cmfortable

So the hips.... we're basically talking about the ability to articulate the sacrum like this assumedly latin lady:
giphy.gif

You shouldn't need to bend your knees to bend your hips. Look at the picture of that girl dead lifting. Her knees have only the slightest bend, but her hips are folded to an extreme degree. The ability to bend like that is limited by hamstring flexibility as well as by hip mobility and strength.

Anyway, Mosley is compensating instead of, on the simplest level, moving his head. And when he does move his feet, he can't keep his legs in good position. He has to straighten both them and his hips, which as we all know leaves him vulnerable and badly positioned to counter.

By the way, it's common to see people compensate another way by spreading out their stance. This makes it easier for them to hold a lower position while the legs are still straight, and lets them move the head--but the movement will be generated by the legs and back instead of the hips so balance and overall mobility (especially lateral movement) are sacrificed.

I hate to keep harping on the tile exercise, but it really shows exactly what hip movement is for.

By the way, it's common to see people compensate another way by spreading out their stance. This makes it easier for them to hold a lower position while the legs are still straight, and lets them move the head--but the movement will be generated by the legs and back instead of the hips so balance and overall mobility (especially lateral movement) are sacrificed.

hahaha who does that?

oh,
me.
disappointment.gif

Soooo... are we talking about "doubling over"... just with a good posture?

Soooo... are we talking about "doubling over"... just with a good posture?

Doubling over as in touching your toes? That's an exaggerated example of hip flexion, which we are also referring to as bending or folding at the hips. So yes.

So Hot

Great Stretches.

Hip Mobility and Hip strength are 2 different things and not always related, although lend themselves to each other.

Iv always had pretty strong hips from the lifts I do, but not the best Mobility after I was injured and couldnt do shit.
Those stretches must but done, but I hate them for some reason, nothing could be possibly more boring that nonsense but it pays off in the long run.

Also for people looking for glute/hip strenght try Barbell Hip Thrusts. They seem odd at first but are great. Along with squats, dlifts and the others.

So Hot

Great Stretches.

Hip Mobility and Hip strength are 2 different things and not always related, although lend themselves to each other.

Iv always had pretty strong hips from the lifts I do, but not the best Mobility after I was injured and couldnt do shit.
Those stretches must but done, but I hate them for some reason, nothing could be possibly more boring that nonsense but it pays off in the long run.

Also for people looking for glute/hip strenght try Barbell Hip Thrusts. They seem odd at first but are great. Along with squats, dlifts and the others.

Barbell hip thrusts are very good too, I neglected to mention them. You'll get some weird looks but you can't argue with the results.

Barbell hip thrusts are very good too, I neglected to mention them. You'll get some weird looks but you can't argue with the results.
I like how a lot of these good exercises are so sexually suggestive. I wish I trained at a place where some of these hot women do.
At my gym I only see big sweaty guys, and the locker room everybody just walks around naked.

Ya the Glutes are often neglected. They dont get hit as hard as some think in Squats and Deadlifts.

Back