Movies Highlander (1986) is an underated movie

Season one the show really hadn't discovered itself yet but still had a great early 90's straight to VHS charm about it that I really love. The episode where he fights the mountain men(the Beastmaster actor) has my favorite fight scene in the whole series there in the end with the axe. That was so savage. It's a cookie cutter formula but it's one that works for me, the show did a good job of the simple task of building up the bad guy and building up the final showdown. There were a few fights in there were Duncan was in serious trouble of losing, probably closer than he ever came in the seasons after. Grayson was also a great 1 time character. Even the bad episodes of season 1 I like plus I noticed a lot of little things foreshadowing everything that happened with Richie later in the next season, it was a much better written show than what I remembered loving as a kid.

Season 2 starts off amazing, peak of the show with some of my favorite episodes. Then it really drags with a bad stretch of some of the worst episodes of the series before picking up and finishing ok.

Season 3 is where the show really hit it's stride and became like one of the coolest things going at that time in the 90's. The episode where Duncan unleashes the dark quickening from his Shaman friend he has to fight, then turns evil and wreaks a bunch of havoc like a bad ass villain before killing one of his best friends, then has to fight himself after recovering his family's sword(from the first episode of the season where he goes back to Scotland to find it), the spirit of his friend that he killed helps him defeat his own evil self in a mirror image showdown. That is really fucking bad ass shit right there brother. Some of my favorite 90's TV ever. Also just don't know if it gets any cooler than the origin story episode for his dragon head handle katana from that same season where it shows him in feudal Japan how he got it.

Season 4 started off good too and has the peak episodes the Four Horsemen two parter, easily better than any of the movies including the 1st one. Methos becomes one of the best things about the whole deal, a 3,000 year old immortal from the bronze age, just awesome.

The Four Horsemen season 4 episodes were like the mid-season finale and after that the show was really dead, the rest of those episodes in season 4 was like jump the shark stuff. I think that season was 1997 and the show's decline matches an observation I've always had about how cool things from the 90's really kind of died out in the transition from 1996 to 1997. With Highlander the series being from 1992 seemed like one of the coolest things ever in 1996, but by 1997 seemed like a dated relic from a previous era, that was how fast that decade moved.

Season 5 pretend it doesn't exist, shhhhhh.

Throughout the show you get some pretty spectacular sword fight scene choreography and the opening intros never get old. Also love all the drop in special guest 90's actors like the one bad ass from Last Of Mohicans, Beastmaster, Randall "Tex" Cobb, several others I'm just not remembering I watched through the whole series last September and really really loved it.
You mixed up some seasons.
Season 4 was the Dark Duncan season. Season 5 was the 4 horseman, and season 6 only had one episode, the Methos episode.

Season 3 had the Kalas arc and introduced Methos.
Still, accurate review with what you had.

And some of the other guest actors. Jason Isaacs, Ron Perlman, the singer from the Fine Young Cannibals, one of his immortal friends was Roger Daltry.

You mixed up some seasons.
Season 4 was the Dark Duncan season. Season 5 was the 4 horseman, and season 6 only had one episode, the Methos episode.

And some of the other guest actors. Jason Isaacs, Ron Perlman, the singer from the Fine Young Cannibals, one of his immortal friends was Roger Daltry.

Wes Studi, @Zer's homeboy Andrew Divoff, Vanity, Joan Jett, Sheena Easton, Rae Dawn Chong, Tex Cobb, Jonathan Banks, Joe Pantoliano, Barry Pepper, Rowdy Roddy Piper, a couple of the guys who weren't Johnny Depp from 21 Jump Street, Bull from Night Court, Richard Lynch a really good actor from the 70s who burned his own face off when he was on LSD.

And the late great Brion James, Vincent Schiavelli and Ed Lauter.

There was something about Roxxane Hart.

HART-anniv.jpg

Was always one of my favorites soundtracks to listen to as a kid, along with the 1990s final fantasy OSTs.

And because of this thread I've been listening to the soundtrack a lot the past couple days, both Michael Kamen and Queen.

The original movie was decent. It had a lot of potential but a lot of it ended up being kind of boring.

I'll always champion Highlander, great movie and Kurgan is up there as one of GOAT 80's movie villains, Clancy Brown did a bang up job. The sequels weren't all that good but they still get some love. I need to revisit the series.

Sequels were pretty much all terrible but the first Highlander is a magnificent piece of work. My favorite role in Sean Connery's entire career. I think the score by Michael Kamen that nobody talks about is even better than the Queen songs.

The second best movie is an anime from around 2007 or so called something like Highlander: The Quest for Vengeance.

Other than that it's pretty much all dog shit except Highlander: Endgame has a few decent moments thrown in and an okay villain.

It's one of those very enjoyable 80'ies fantasy movies that takes some chances and just works. The concept seems to preclude the idea of a sequel from happening, so it shouldn't surprise anybody that the subsequent movies are universally terrible. There's just not really anywhere to go after the first movie.

It's one of those very enjoyable 80'ies fantasy movies that takes some chances and just works. The concept seems to preclude the idea of a sequel from happening, so it shouldn't surprise anybody that the subsequent movies are universally terrible. There's just not really anywhere to go after the first movie.

The guy who made it was one of the best music video directors of all time. Up there with David Fincher. He knew how to make this look good and how to do it music. But aside from that there was actually a really good story to drive things...as opposed to something like Electric Dreams which is a nice series of quasi music videos but mostly a total failure in terms of storytelling.

I've said before that they should have made prequels instead of sequels. Ramirez. Kurgan. Even Kastagir. And Connor had plenty of adventures between the death of Ramirez and 1986.

But given how similar it was aesthetically to The Terminator, I guess it's not surprising that they fucked up the franchise in exactly the same way. New villain gets sent to the present from a different time period and we do it all again the same way (but worse) in the year the movie comes out.

it's happening

Does seem like its being talked about again with Chad Stahelski probably have more pull now after Wick 4's sucess.

Seems like an exellent choice to me, he obviously does action really well and when you think about it the WIck franchise has a lot of Highlander in it, these mysterious super fighters battling each other who are bound by unbreakable rules with Continenals like "Holy Ground", even Wick himself I think feels a lot like McCloud, an action lead who is mostly not a cocky wise cracker but more silent and melancholic weighed down by his past.

Reeves and Yen meeting in the church before their duel in Wick 4 almost felt like a tribute to Highlander for me even if Yen's character is obviously quite different to the Kurgan.

Last edited:
Does seem like its being talked about again with Chad Stahelski probably have more pull now after Wick 4's sucess.

Seems like an exellent choice to me, he obviously does action really well and when you think about it the WIck franchise has a lot of Highlander in it, these mysterious super fighters battling each other who are bound by unbreakable rules with Continenals like "Holy Ground", even Wick himself I think feels a lot like McCloud, an action lead who is mostly not a cocky wise cracker but more silent and melancholic weighed down by his past.

Reeves and Yen meeting in the church before their duel in Wick 4 almost felt like a tribute to Highlander for me even if Yen's character is obviously quite different to the Kurgan.

what's especially interesting is that there appears to be a lot of pressure on whoever gets it. We don't often see remakes these days being put under the microscope like this which is odd for what is sometimes considered a relatively niche middle of the road sort of movie, as in not so much a Jurassic Park or Predator but a They Live level movie. I don't like the idea of a direct remake but if they figured out somewhere new to go with it has potential

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/sep/01/highlander-remake

what's especially interesting is that there appears to be a lot of pressure on whoever gets it. We don't often see remakes these days being put under the microscope like this which is odd for what is sometimes considered a relatively niche middle of the road sort of movie, as in not so much a Jurassic Park or Predator but a They Live level movie. I don't like the idea of a direct remake but if they figured out somewhere new to go with it has potential

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/sep/01/highlander-remake

Its a bit more akin to Blade Runner or Tron you could argue in terms of building up cult status although it was not THAT big a flop at the time(did much better in Europe) plus the franchise carried on with "patchy" results so I think there's arguably a lower bar to meet.

As far as the tone of that film and that Guardian article I would say the original film did clearly take itself seriously, its just that the tone is often quite elevated with very larger than life characters. Again I don't think the Wick franchise is a million miles from Highlander in tone and Stahelski does seem to increasingly be able to bring the kind of stylistic flourishes Highlander hand.

I must admit if it was up to me though I would take the basic plot of Highlander and make something new, the story of an immortal with a mentor and a villainous rival just have different characters and settings. The franchise nature does pretty much give you a free hand on who and were these characters are and that would I think avoid having to deal with recasting existing roles which were very ironic.

I posted this on another forum last year after watching through the full series, had such a great time watching through finally:

OK I'm losing interest in season 6 honestly I never had it I think I'm going to bail on it. I'm going to go back and watch episodes that you review like Eye Of The Beholder I actually remember none of that, so that's next.

But since I'm to this point I feel like I can post overall thoughts on the show. Bake some of this may contain spoilers I feel like I ruined Tessa's death for you so you may not want to read this. But I'm feeling super lazy tonight and not going to put it in spoilers because I can't remember how they work on this site.

Overall the show was definitely way better than I remember it. I never knew about Methos or the Four Horsemen back in the day, I mostly remember the episodes from the first 2 seasons. But I did pick up on a pattern that the show has for all 5 seasons.

The first 4-6 episodes feel bigger budget, bigger stunts, better guest stars, usually the strongest episodes.

After that there is a drag of filler episodes up until the mid-season 2 parter, which was usually the best episodes of the season.

After that the show usually has it written into the story for everything to shift to Paris France, they are on the run from somebody or for some reason they have to leave the country and Duncan has the barge they live in on the river right in front of Notre Dame.

Once the show shifts to France it has more of a European flare, sometimes it's cool sometimes just doesn't work. But usually another batch of filler episodes until the last 2 episodes are usually a 2 part season finale.

Season 1 has a 1992-93 vibe about it that I love, some of the weaker episodes are still like little self contained 45 minute movies that still get your attention, like the Absynth Mimes, or the Phantom Of The Opera rip off in the catacombs. I even get a kick out of the Die Hard rip off episode Bad Day In Building A, and one of these episodes(Mountain Men) is so bad it's actually one of my favorite episodes of the whole series. First I'm gonna take yer quickening, then I'm gonna take yer woman. GOAT line in Highlander history.

What I've read and get the sense of is that the show didn't get good until season 2. The highs of season 2 are higher than anything in season 1 yes but overall I'd take that first season. I am planning on buying the first season VHS set soon because I feel like that batch of episodes is just a natural fit for VHS tapes and the box looks the coolest.

Favorite episodes from season 1:

1:1- The Quickening
1:2- Innocent Man
1:7- Mountain Men
1:11- Family Tree
1:13- Band Of Brothers

Season 2 aired across the end of 1993 and beginning of 1994, this is where I read the permanent writers/producers settled into the show. This is where "The Watchers" storyline comes in and I've already said I'm not super crazy about it but I don't hate it either, it did add a lot of elements to the show's overarching storyline. But yeah the first 4-5 episodes of season 2 are strong. Turnabout is one of my favorite episodes I loved that final fight at the end and the swerve that led to it. Then it's followed up with another absolute banger of an episode in The Darkness, at this point the show is running at a really high level and I believe it had to have been one of the most bad ass things on TV.

Once you get past that initial surge of bad assery you hit The Zone episode about 6 eps deep, it's one of the worst of the whole series. The very next episode after that is The Return Of Amanda so there you go. I feel like the lows of season 2 are lower than the lows of season 1. Revenge of the Sword was one of those so bad it's amazing episodes where we get to see some Ninja action. Run For Your Life was a solid episode with a recurring character the black guy that goes on to be a baseball player after Duncan saved him from being lynched in the 20's. Epitaph For Tommy after that is the Roddy Piper episodes and a must watch just for him, for all the pro wrestlers that could have guest starred on the show I guess it made the most sense for it to be Piper. He wore a kilt after all.

The Unholy Alliance 2 part mid-season story was ok, honestly I don't remember much about it, I don't know if I like Xavier as a heel in Highlander, though I do love She Drives Me Crazy. The Vampire episode later in season 2 was an interesting one. Then you get a pretty bad stretch of episodes leading up to a not-so great 2 part finale. Season one seen the death of Tessa getting shot point blank, I did love her and was absolutely fucking stunned that she died. I thought she was one of the characters that was just always on the show. I started to wonder if she was thinking about leaving Duncan there before she died though, it seemed like she was really into the dude in Turnabout and she started to wonder about growing old and Duncan losing interest in her, she also seemed increasingly unsure if whether or not she wanted to keep living Duncan's lifestyle always fighting or in danger. But for her and Richie both to get gunned down then for Richie to revive to find out he's an Immortal was pretty fucking brilliant. This means that Duncan knew all along that Richie was immortal when they first met in the first episode, Richie just didn't know it yet because he hadn't died yet.

The whole storyline arc with Duncan and Richie was pretty fucking brilliant and the highlight of the 5 seasons to me. The show told a pretty damn good story there over the span of those seasons between this master and his apprentice. Right from the very first scene in the show Richie is just a dumb 90's kid, orphan who didn't know who his real parents were(a big sign from early in season 1 that Richie was Immortal).

I love the very first scene in the very first episode where Richie breaks into Duncan's museum and is fucking around with the swords, he's all like en guarde you fool and Duncan comes up on him ready to fuck him up all "I am Duncan Mcleod of the Clan Mcleod" and Richie's all like dude chill hahaha.

But the whole episode in season 1 where Richie is looking for his father and Duncan keeps telling him he should forget about it he might not like what he finds, with the flashbacks of his own father abandoning him in the Highlands of Scotland after seeing him revive from his first death. That is pretty brilliant storytelling and foreshadowing Richie's reveal to be an Immortal in season 2.

Favorite episodes from season 2:

2:3 Turnabout
2:4 The Darkness

Season 3 is peak Highlander without a doubt. This was great stuff and I keep wanting to go back and rewatch some of these episodes. The very first episode is the origin story of that sweet, bad fucking ass dragon head ivory handle katana that Duncan has throughout the show. It's a set piece that to me becomes a highlight of the show in and of itself. Really loved that episode though. Also loved The Cross Of St. Antoine and Shadows. Season 3's mid season 2 parter is where we finally meet Methos and it's a pretty bad ass character introduction. From here up to the finale it builds up to Duncan having a pretty epic showdown on the Eiffel Tower with a nasty heel that kills Fitzcairn and was ready to fuck some shit up, epic quickening on the worlds largest lightning rod. Season 3 was pretty awesome, even the weaker episodes were a vibe.

Favorite episodes from season 3:

3:1 The Samurai
3:4 The Cross Of St. Antoine

Season 4 continues the prime Highlander run up into the first 4-5 episodes, this was fall of 1995 where this was still really one of the coolest things that came on TV like Tales From The Crypt you would mark out for it when it would randomly come on some channel. Something cool that I liked about the season 1 opener was how it showed Duncan going back to Scotland with the flashback of him in a Romeo and Juliet style relationship with a rival clan, the Campbell clan. I did some research and traced my lineage back to the Campbell clan in Scotland a few years ago so I thought this was really cool, he was a Texas Ranger in Lonesome Dove territory, I believe he framed a house in one episode, and they just had to throw Duncan Mcleod was banging one of my ancestors in there, therefore I think I will identify as an Immortal from now on.

Chivalry was a good episode from season 4. The mid-season 2 parter I really fucking loved though, this was where we get to the Dark Quickenings fucking up Immortals and making them evil. Duncan has to behead his native Shaman friend after a dark quickening fucks him up. This gives Duncan the dark quickening and he almost kills Richie after fucking him up in the dojo. He was about to behead Richie until Joe saved him by firing Duncan up with a revolver. This fucked with Richie throughout the rest of the series that Duncan was really about to kill him, this was continuation of that first storyline that goes back to the first moment of the first episode.

The second part of the 2 part mid-season Deliverance was a real treat, with Duncan having to duel with Evil Duncan in his own consciousness and his family sword that he went to Scotland for in the first episode helps him overcome the evil version of himself. This was fucking beyond rad. Loved every bit of it.

Season 4 gets a bit goofy with the Watchers stuff at the end of the season and spilling into the first episode of season 5. Leader Of The Pack earlier in the season falls into the so bad it was great category.

Favorite season 4 episodes:

4:13 Something Wicked
4:14 Deliverance

Season 4 definitely petered out hard towards the end.

Season 5 the Richie/Duncan saga continues in the third episode Richie returns and has real issues with Duncan almost killing him in season 4. He's been out fighting and training and he's ready to take Duncan on but Duncan won't fight him. They eventually patch things up but it definitely feels like the whole thing was building to Duncan beheading his pupil Richie. Manhunt was an OK episode but man for the most part season 5 is pretty lame up until The Messenger, which is the Ron Pearlman episode(also stars the Cerulean Blue guy from X-Files).

Then we get to the peak of the show with Along Comes A Horsemen and the follow up Revelations 6:8. This was pretty fucking epic and I'm glad Baker put it over in this thread because I was stoked as fuck to get to it. After that though this show was toast. They followed up that amazing double episode with one of the corniest bullshit episodes the show ever did, like a lame James Bond wannabe type story with Richie pretending to be some rich high roller. The next episode after that is the Spanish dancing episode which just crosses over the line of cheesiness into just too over the top campy and out of character for the show. They followed that up with a Fitzcairn flashback goofball episode the Stone Of Scone just a straight comedy episode and another out of character episode for the series. At this point the show no longer feels cool at all anymore.

The last episode sees the dark forces cause Duncan to behead Richie. I thought the execution was pretty lame like it was an accident the dark forces tricked Duncan into doing it. This dark supernatural storyline spills over into season 6 for a couple of episodes and it's pretty lame.

Favorite episodes of season 5

5:12 Comes A Horsemen
5:13 Revelation 6:8

the remake is on the way and appears to be heavily leaning on the Witcher

it is looking like the bad kind of reboot

With Chad Stahelski's confirmation that the Highlander reboot would use a lot of the same characters from the original, it is easy to determine some of the other key roles that will be needed for the movie. The main villain of the movie is the barbarian Kurgan, played by Clancy Brown in the original. Actors like Vinnie Jones and the late Ray Stevenson were rumored for the role, while Dave Bautista was an earlier candidate for the role and could easily still play the intimidating villain.

Last edited:
Just goes to prove that a movie can be excellent with such a shitty premise. Immortals who have to cut each other’s heads off until there is only one left? Wtf

One detail I never stopped loving is how McLoed wore a trench coat to hide the fact that he was carrying a sword and loose jeans and sneakers for performance.
As Bi has mentioned before really Highlander owes a lot to "Trench Coat Urban Apocalypse" films like Escape From Newyork or The Terminator.

Its a bit of a weird franchise were I think the first sequel really played up that style and didnt care too much about the mythology were as afterwards the franchised focused on the mythology but rarely looked to play up the style of the original.

Back