Here's one thing I dont understand about Sonnen...

Because he is a charismatic guy, like him or not. He is not a boring and generic parrot saying things we hear every athlete say. He speaks eloquently and has enough intelligence to forge a unique persona. It's not only about who wins more. It's about personalities and characters you support. Oftentimes, favorites are not the best. It applies in fiction, it does in sports, and it does in MMA; people like an underdog, or a guy with charisma who tries but who is outperformed by others...

Chael is a master at self-branding. He amuses and involves you, making him interesting, recognizable, and memorable. Win or lose.

He laid the blueprint for the media-star based business approach to fighter branding.
You must be joking. Re-read the highlighted words: Chael is not boring nor generic but he's definitely a parrot. He's literally a parrot: he repeats practiced soundbites, one-liners and poems written by an underpaid exec. He's the literal opposite of eloquent. Although he's very persuasive and charismatic, he's not an interlocutor: he recites texts then storms out. Even if you try to have a conversation, he will just get the jest of your question and recite his practiced answer. He's the POTUS of MMA and everybody believed him once.

Not anymore. Ka-boom just took a whole other meaning tonight: Ka-boom on P's career. Remember, the P stands for PEDS...

You must be joking. Re-read the highlighted words: Chael is not boring nor generic but he's definitely a parrot. He's literally a parrot: he repeats practiced soundbites, one-liners and poems written by an underpaid exec. He's the literal opposite of eloquent. Although he's very persuasive and charismatic, he's not an interlocutor: he recites texts then storms out. Even if you try to have a conversation, he will just get the jest of your question and recite his practiced answer. He's the POTUS of MMA and everybody believed him once.

Not anymore...

I don't think you understood what I meant. When I said he wasn't a parrot I meant that he is not a boring and generic fighter who says the same things as everyone else. He has his own style, narrative, and humor. He is different.

Yes, it is highly rehearsed and scripted, but I wasn't making a point about spontaneity.

It seems that other than the word 'parrot' you agree.

Last edited:
I feel like he's just not the fighter he used to be. When he seemed to be on his game he beat Bisping, Okami, Marquardt and gave Anderson the fight of his life up to that point. Ever since his second Anderson fight he's seemed like he's just talking a lot of trash to get paid.

Yeah, Chael hasn't had a lot of wins lately, but during his entire UFC Run, and now, the only 185'ers to beat him were Anderson (in his prime) and Damien Maia.... Everyone else who has beat him is light heavyweights. IDK why he keeps taking fights outside of his natural weight class, but he seriously needs to go back to 185 and stick with it.

Do you even listen to his trash talk? He'll talk some trash but then he'll straight up say he doesn't know what's gonna happen once that cage shuts and it's gonna come down to who's skills are better. Listen to every interview before this fight when asked how it's gonna go. It's not like he says he's gonna take people's heads off or anything.

i don't find him entertaining or interesting at all. i thought he would win this fight. i was wrong. doesn't really matter. pointless match.

not one of them have been able to sell a fight based on their competitive quality in quite a bit, and not of them is a particularly talented writer or speaker. so whole lot of whatever.

I feel like he's just not the fighter he used to be. When he seemed to be on his game he beat Bisping, Okami, Marquardt and gave Anderson the fight of his life up to that point. Ever since his second Anderson fight he's seemed like he's just talking a lot of trash to get paid.

Unsanctioned TRT
HGH
EPO

I don't think you understood what I meant. When I said he wasn't a parrot I meant that he is not a boring and generic fighter who says the same things as everyone else. He has his own style, narrative, and humor. He is different.

Yes, it is highly rehearsed and scripted, but I wasn't making a point about spontaneity.

It seems that other than the word 'parrot' you agree.
As a matter of fact I do. I just find his shtick old and repetitive nowadays. He was a precursor in the way that he not only took a page out of Pro Wrestling's book, he did it as good as the best of them. He's very good at not breaking character and that's a rare gift for a fighter. He's the epitome of the successful sham artist: find a gimmick, stick to it and always thank your fans. Make sure they get what they came for and they will return.

Chael's a sham with no shame
His penchant to cram is to blame
For the game has passed him by
Result's the same: eat humble pie

KA-BOOM

Pretty much. Got gifted the decision vs Bisping and then totally outclassed against Anderson the second time. Granted he's been fighting killers after that, but the gimmick wears thin when you can't back it up.

The Shogun fight is just mind blowing in retrospect.

As a matter of fact I do. I just find his shtick old and repetitive nowadays. He was a precursor in the way that he not only took a page out of Pro Wrestling's book, he did it as good as the best of them. He's very good at not breaking character and that's a rare gift for a fighter. He's the epitome of the successful sham artist: find a gimmick, stick to it and always thank your fans. Make sure they get what they came for and they will return.

Chael's a sham with no shame
His tendency to cram is to blame
For the game has passed him by
Result's the same: eat humble pie

KA-BOOM

O_O

Well, I agree in that his story is at dusk. He was still a pioneer. I don't think it is a 'sham' as much as effective branding and promoting skills. Yes, it's all a fiction.

Because he is a charismatic guy, like him or not. He is not a boring and generic parrot saying things we hear every athlete say. He speaks eloquently and has enough intelligence to forge a unique persona. It's not only about who wins more. It's about personalities and characters you support. Oftentimes, favorites are not the best. It applies in fiction, it does in sports, and it does in MMA; people like an underdog, or a guy with charisma who tries but who is outperformed by others...

Chael is a master at self-branding. He amuses and involves you, making him interesting, recognizable, and memorable. Win or lose.

He laid the blueprint for the media-star based business approach to fighter branding.

This times a thousand. Chael is a master storyteller and humans are wired to listen to stories.

Why and I do mean WHY fans still listen to him trash talk and take it seriously when he rarely backs it up?

I'm not bashing the guy and he do have some decent wins under his belt but I mean can you really take him seriously at times?

The fans of The American Gangster support him win or lose. They "still listen" to him because he entertains them.

MMA's frail, fairweather fanbase can learn a thing or two from the supporters of the Bad Guy.

WAR Chael Patrick Sonnen !

Like most people in life... He's all talk.

Only dummies eat that shit up.

He's a God damn MMA fighter who's been fighting for years with decent wins and an amazing performance with Anderson Silva in his first fight.

Are you stupid? Well this is Sherdog. There's more keyboard commandos here than in my gun forums.

That was soothing to read.

Chael hasn't been this funny in a long time. He was much more entertaining back then.

When I saw the presser with Tito and he told the story about throwing an orange at Tito's head which stopped and then revolved around Tito's head......I didn't find that funny at all.

He's a God damn MMA fighter who's been fighting for years with decent wins and an amazing performance with Anderson Silva in his first fight.

Are you stupid? Well this is Sherdog. There's more keyboard commandos here than in my gun forums.

You misunderstand, I'm not taking anything away from Sonnen.

Of course he's a fighter and of course he's had some good matchups in his career. Well some good and others not so much.

But as far as talking -> he doesn't fight as well as he talks.

That's all I was saying.

No keyboard commandos here, I immensely respect all fighters for what they do. MMA and other combat sports.

You misunderstand, I'm not taking anything away from Sonnen.

Of course he's a fighter and of course he's had some good matchups in his career. Well some good and others not so much.

But as far as talking -> he doesn't fight as well as he talks.

That's all I was saying.

No keyboard commandos here, I immensely respect all fighters for what they do. MMA and other combat sports.

Well he's a promoter. Unlike most people who just talk, his job is to talk. Having compared him to "most people who are all talk" is kinda stretching it.

Well he's a promoter. Unlike most people who just talk, his job is to talk. Having compared him to "most people who are all talk" is kinda stretching it.

Well you're entitled to your opinion.

However, I disagree.

He might promote full time else where, however, he's a contract fighter for Bellator and UFC. Sure promoting is part of his job description but the more important part of his job is fighting and he doesn't fight as well as he talks.

Back