Here in Canada we dont use guns for self defence

You can't compare self defense(defence,lol) laws in countries like Canada to the United States, we have a massive, permanent criminal under class, you don't.

How do you abandon your home to an invader? That doesn't even make sense. If you sleep upstairs, odds are you're going to have to pass them on the way out.

Probably has an airplane slide out of his window or uses a garbage bag or umbrella as a makeshift parachute.

Rather Large Cats will take over the world

My Maine Coon, Mordecai, intimidates me. When people first see his size they gasp audibly and usually say "what the fuck is that?"

He eats my food off my plate. I don't even bother defending it anymore.

The amout of firearms training that the average beat cop gets is grossly overstated/over-imagined.

Its sad, but true. No money in the budget. We have some seriously inept marksman. I taught at Edson Range and did more work as an instructor after active duty. I get sick during qual. But its not on them. We simply have no money for better training

I think there's something to be said about the cops receiving a higher degree of training (not only in the use of firearms but in de-escalation as well). But I think it's kind of neither here nor there. It's my home, dammit. I'm not waiting for the cops to come help and I'm not abandoning ship (hell, I couldn't if they broke in during the night). Even if it was against the law, I'd still do what I felt was necessary and let the chips fall afterward. I'd rather go to jail than become a martyr for home defense.

In America the average cop doesn't receive all that much training in either firearms proficiency or deescalation. Go to the range once a month and you'll be just as well-trained. :cool:

Yeah, better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.

that's why we have an attack lab.

he'll disarm you with love.

it's better to be shot dead than end up in dad's basement

In my state (South Australia) we effectively have Castle Law, but we don't own guns for self defence either.
Seems to work just fine.
I could be wrong, but I thought the law was that you could only use a weapon "of equal or lesser power" to defend your property with.

If an intruder enters with a cricket bat, you can use a cricket bat, but not a knife.

If an intruder has a knife, you can use a knife, but not a rifle.

If an intruder has no weapon....?

I could be wrong, but I thought the law was that you could only use a weapon "of equal or lesser power" to defend your property with.

If an intruder enters with a cricket bat, you can use a cricket bat, but not a knife.

If an intruder has a knife, you can use a knife, but not a rifle.

If an intruder has no weapon....?

Not in SA since Mike Rann made his amendments. That's the case for self-defence outside the home, but not in it.
That's not quite how proportional force works anyway, it's use of force proportional to the threat you reasonably believe you face. So for instance multiple unarmed assailants would still reasonably justify the use of deadly force, and deadly force isn't subject to limitations on the weapon.

What does it mean "eh"?

It's usually used when they want a response to a statement, something like:

That chick has big tits eh?

means

That chick has big tits, don't you agree?

The Brits use "Ya" and us Yanks use "huh" in the same way.

I have mixed feelings on this.

On one hand people are rarely shot.
I live in Toronto and something like 60-100 people get shot every year. It’s limited really to the real hardened gangbangers and maybe one or two innocent bystanders per year.

On the other hand we really have not much recourse for self defence. We are expected to abandon our home to Home invaders and gather your family and run for it rather than defend yourselves lethally.

What do you guys think of the Canadian model.

https://www.google.ca/amp/nationalp...on-case-to-test-canadas-self-defence-laws/amp

I’ve actually attached a recent case from my city where 3 brothers were arrested after beating the crap out of a Home invader and leaving him in critical condition.

I wish we could change these laws, but at the same time I don’t want things to turn to the Wild West. Florida, Zimmerman, etc.
The percentage of people using guns for self defense shooting someone by accident exceeds the percentage that actually successfully defend themselves. You're more likely to accidentally shoot your wife when she gets up to take a piss in the middle of the night than actually protect someone

Its sad, but true. No money in the budget. We have some seriously inept marksman. I taught at Edson Range and did more work as an instructor after active duty. I get sick during qual. But its not on them. We simply have no money for better training

In America the average cop doesn't receive all that much training in either firearms proficiency or deescalation. Go to the range once a month and you'll be just as well-trained. :cool:

Most of the people I've either initially trained with or have recently worked with shoot once a year, during qually and some occasionally freak out because they have only four attempts.

The percentage of people using guns for self defense shooting someone by accident exceeds the percentage that actually successfully defend themselves. You're more likely to accidentally shoot your wife when she gets up to take a piss in the middle of the night than actually protect someone

In the US?

That's a contrived lie by the anti 2nd crowd.

They are only counting self defense with a firearm when the defender shoots.

Most of the time in a self defense with a firearm situation the weapon is never fired.

Even the Clinton anti gun study admitted that Americans us a fire arms about 1.5 million times a year for self defense most of the time never firing the weapon. The NRA says 2.5 million times a year.

Look at how many times a cops draws their weapon verses the times they discharge it in confrontations.

When you apply for your PAL (Possession and Acquisition License) in Canada after completing the CFSC (Canadian Firearms Safety Course), they will ask what you intend to use the firearm for when police does the background check. DO NOT answer self defense or home defense, because you will be blacklisted until the end of eternity. Defense is not a valid reason for firearms ownership in Canada, unless you have specialized need in rural areas. The only acceptable answers you give to that question is either recreational target shooting or hunting.

The amout of firearms training that the average beat cop gets is grossly overstated/over-imagined.

Fair enough, I don’t disbelieve it. That obviously shouldn’t be the case though, at least not in my opinion. At least I’d expect them to be held to a standard of consistency I don’t expect from civilians.

When you apply for your PAL (Possession and Acquisition License) in Canada after completing the CFSC (Canadian Firearms Safety Course), they will ask what you intend to use the firearm for when police does the background check. DO NOT answer self defense or home defense, because you will be blacklisted until the end of eternity. Defense is not a valid reason for firearms ownership in Canada, unless you have specialized need in rural areas. The only acceptable answers you give to that question is either recreational target shooting or hunting.
A homestead near Biggar is pretty fucking rural.

While it shouldn't matter that he used a restricted firearm, it kinda does in Canada because as you've said, the implication is that you don't own a pistol for any other reason than target shooting.

But he's also in rural Saskatchewan, where everyone and their mother keeps a legally loaded rifle next to the door for coyotes.

Canadian gun owner here -- if you break in, you're definitely going to be looking down a barrel. Whether you get shot or sit nicely and wait for the police to cart you off is up to you

I have mixed feelings on this.

On one hand people are rarely shot.
I live in Toronto and something like 60-100 people get shot every year. It’s limited really to the real hardened gangbangers and maybe one or two innocent bystanders per year.

On the other hand we really have not much recourse for self defence. We are expected to abandon our home to Home invaders and gather your family and run for it rather than defend yourselves lethally.

What do you guys think of the Canadian model.

https://www.google.ca/amp/nationalp...on-case-to-test-canadas-self-defence-laws/amp

I’ve actually attached a recent case from my city where 3 brothers were arrested after beating the crap out of a Home invader and leaving him in critical condition.

I wish we could change these laws, but at the same time I don’t want things to turn to the Wild West. Florida, Zimmerman, etc.

You settle beef on the ice

That is why games were invented. To give us a controlled, formal, safe way for us to act out our aggressions.

It's usually used when they want a response to a statement, something like:

That chick has big tits eh?

means

That chick has big tits, don't you agree?

The Brits use "Ya" and us Yanks use "huh" in the same way.

Ah nice to informed with the differences in the use of English language.

Well you really have to take into consideration the mental state of the robber. What if he really doesn't want to be stealing? Maybe he's just down on his luck? You could probably talk him out of it. We need to be more understanding because not all criminals are terrible people.

Down on your luck? Stick up a fast food joint. Come into my house and expect a German Shepherd* to tear through your leg and me to follow up with you shortly.

I appreciate they’re down on their luck. They should appreciate that home invasions sometime lead to the murder of the home owner and I ain’t the gambling type.

I have a lot of empathy for the poor - more than most. But I’m not ashamed to say I have more for my family and keeping them safe is priority #1. I’d think differently if it were just me but it’s not.

Fair enough, I don’t disbelieve it. That obviously shouldn’t be the case though, at least not in my opinion. At least I’d expect them to be held to a standard of consistency I don’t expect from civilians.
I have a 50-round annual recertification for my work gun and most people I know of in my Agency only shoot once a year, during the aforementioned annual qualification.

When I shoot as a civilian, there is no doubt in my mind that the vast majority members in any private gun club I've ever blonged to, put in more trigger time in a month than most Canadian LE personnel do in a year.

Doing it because it's a job requirement is different than doing it because you enjoy it.

And it shows.

Back