Henry Cejudo Questions Aspinall's Emotional Reaction to Interim Title Win, "It's Not the Real Thing."

Substance Abuse

The Best is Blessed Belt
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score

Henry Cejudo thinks Tom Aspinall overreacted after capturing the interim heavyweight title at UFC 295.

Aspinall (14-3 MMA, 7-1 UFC) needed just 69 seconds to knock out Sergei Pavlovich on short notice in this past Saturday’s co-main event at Madison Square Garden in New York. Aspinall broke down in tears after the stoppage in what was a very emotional moment.

But former two-division UFC champion Cejudo, who never thought Aspinall vs. Pavlovich was worth an interim belt, critiqued Aspinall for his reaction.

“Watching Tom Aspinall win the interim world title, he’s already celebrating,” Cejudo said on his YouTube channel. “It’s an interim, Tom! Save those tears for when you actually win the real belt. Sometimes, when I see people like that, they just get too emotional after an interim belt. Yeah, you got a trophy, but they might as well dip that thing in either silver or bronze because it’s not the real thing.

“I mean that with all due respect. As a competitor, I start to think of their mentalities. How is it or what is it that makes them – has he thought that he’s reached the pinnacle of the world? I’m not picking on you, Tom. I’m just saying to you, save those tears for when you actually own the undisputed title.”

Aspinall called for UFC undisputed heavyweight champion Jon Jones next, but Jones is expected to have his title fight with Stipe Miocic rebooked once he’s healthy. Cejudo agrees with Aspinall, and also wants to see the title-unification bout next.

“This fight is a lot more intriguing than a guy like Stipe Miocic,” Cejudo said. “I can understand why Jon would want to fight a guy like Stipe, someone who’s older in his age, and also someone who’s more accomplished.”

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2023...nal-reaction-interim-title-win-not-real-thing

Isn't this the guy that called himself "triple C" based off winning an Olympic medal in another sport?

So hes saying Olympic medals in wrestling count in MMA but interim UFC titles do not? Interesting logic.

Edit-Want to clarifty Jones is the HW champ and his greatness transcends belts but interim belts are real. If he wanted to defend Jones I understand that but interim belts are interim belts.

Last edited:
For all intents and purposes,Tom is the real world champion since the current belt holder won't fight him and his next opponent won't either. That may change but that's the situation now. Jones didn't beat Ngannou for the belt so his belt really isn't more legitimate than Tom's in any way.

LOL

Aspinall just blasted out the most dangerous guy in the division, on short notice with an injury.

Also, it's not certain that Jones will even fight again.

Aspinall is in the driver's seat in the division.

This is just hating.

Last edited:
Aspinall beat the actual number 1 contender. JOnes beat the guy who lost to the previous champ.
Neither belt is any better than the other. Jones should vacate if the interim is defended whilst he is out. He can come back, fight the holder of the belt or fight Stipe if he wants to still go down that route.

It's the same situation with Hill at LHW, with Pereira being a legit champion after beating the lineal champ in Jiri.

Lifted trucks are smart using Henry as a promotional partner.

He targets the exact demographic for people that drive oversized lifted trucks. He even admits it at the end lol. Great troll.

Isn't this the guy that called himself "triple C" based off winning an Olympic medal in another sport?

So hes saying Olympic medals in wrestling count in MMA but interim UFC titles do not? Interesting logic.

Edit-Want to clarifty Jones is the HW champ and his greatness transcends belts but interim belts are real. If he wanted to defend Jones I understand that but interim belts are interim belts.
Interim belts are a glorified #1 contender title and decided arbitrarily by the UFC for business reasons.
If Jones vs Stipe had not been cancelled, Aspinall vs Pavlovich could likely have happened as non title fight and non one would think of the winner as a champion.

Not taking anything away from Aspinall.

Interim belts are a glorified #1 contender title and decided arbitrarily by the UFC for business reasons.
If Jones vs Stipe had not been cancelled, Aspinall vs Pavlovich could likely have happened as non title fight and non one would think of the winner as a champion.

Not taking anything away from Aspinall.
Jones vs Stipe shouldn't be happening in the first place. Why does stipe who has been sitting out for an eternity,get a title shot? Jones got a title shot for the same. They did nothing at all to earn these shots. Aspinall did.

This is a unique situation,where the "champ" will only fight one guy who did nothing to earn a title shot while the rest of the division are forced to fight for nothing. Aspinall is the real champion to anyone with a brain if Jones refuses to fight him. He should be stripped.

Jones vs Stipe shouldn't be happening in the first place. Why does stipe who has been sitting out for an eternity,get a title shot? Jones got a title shot for the same. They did nothing at all to earn these shots. Aspinall did.

This is a unique situation,where the "champ" will only fight one guy who did nothing to earn a title shot while the rest of the division are forced to fight for nothing. Aspinall is the real champion to anyone with a brain if Jones refuses to fight him. He should be stripped.
Did you feel the same when Gane was Interim champion? I sure did not consider he was the champion.

And Aspinall got the TS just off a single win against Tybura preceded by one year of inactivity. A bit light.

But I 100% agree that Jones should fight Tom or be stripped.

Did you feel the same when Gane was Interim champion? I sure did not consider he was the champion.

And Aspinall got the TS just off a single win against Tybura preceded by one year of inactivity. A bit light.

But I 100% agree that Jones should fight Tom or be stripped.
I did not feel the same when Gane was the interim champion. I feel this is a different situation.

Aspinall coming on short notice against the most dangerous guy in the division and winning by first rd KO,and the champ wont fight him,and now injured?

And neither he nor his opponent will fight Aspinall?

To me Aspinall is the champ.

Even if Jones and Stipe had fought. They are both saying retirement is in their future after their fight,so who cares about anything they have to say in regards to the div?

Last edited:
I don't reckon Henry gets to decide how anyone should emotionally react to their own successes. "Might as well dip it in silver or bronze..." Stay humble, champ.
I mean people can have their opinion on it,but he should walk a mile in Aspinall's shoes and look at the big picture.

Tom was a guy who wanted to come up slow,and take his time. He was given two huge oppurtunities that rapidly ascended him to the top spot and he took the risk took those fights (UberVolkov and Sergei) and it paid off gloriously. Also he came back from what could have been a career ending injury and spectacularly defeated the scariest guy there was to beat.

If he wants to have a lie-down and a cry,he's fuckin earned it.

Back