HBO officials are furious at Andre Ward for blowing off the Kovalev Face Off.

All I know of is the gorilla thing. Is there a new one?

I don't know. Prefer not to follow these dudes drama if they aren't my problem. I'll watch them in the ring though. I like both as fighters. Not cool with racist shit though.

All I know of is the gorilla thing. Is there a new one?

Apparently he used a chimp emoji for Lennox Lewis, he posted a twitter video that was full of offensive black stereotypes, and supposedly ethnic bigotry is the reason him and Artur Beterbiev hate each other. Beterbiev is Chechen Muslim, and Kovalev apparently denigrated his ethnicity after Beterbiev got selected for the Russian Olympic team instead of him. Beterbiev really hates his guts (which is why I really want to see them fight).

There's a whole lot of smoke indicating Kov might be a raging racist and a shit human being. As much as a diva Ward is career wise, he seems like a decent guy on a human level. Can't say the same for Kov.

Apparently he used a chimp emoji for Lennox Lewis, he posted a twitter video that was pretty racist, and supposedly ethnic racism is the reasons him and Artur Beterbiev hate each other. Beterbiev is Chechen Muslim, and Kovalev apparently denigrated his ethnicity after Beterbiev got selected for the Russian Olympic team instead of him.

There's a whole lot of smoke indicating Kov might be a raging racist.

Wait do you have links for any of these claims?

Its scattered all over the place, I'm just giving you the scuttlebutt. YouTube, reddit, boxing blogs. Theres bits and pieces here and there. I don't know if there's conclusive proof outside of the chimp shirt and the twitter video which I watched. Jean Pascal is a source for the Beterbiev stuff, he said it in a video a long time ago, they were stable mates at the time so seems very plausible.

Kovalev seems to be a pretty mean guy, but I don't like seeing someone's name sullied based on innuendo. There's hardly anything worse you can do to a person's reputation than call them racist and so I think the claims should be thoroughly substantiated.

Last edited:
What is the racism meme?
Do you not have access to google or do you just not want to see proof that Kova is a jackass regarding race? Theyve since been deleted because someone smarter than the Bigotlov knows it bad for business, but its a fake conversation between him and Ward with one of his gems being "hoe ass n****." Just really trashy stereotype stuff.

Do you not have access to google or do you just not want to see proof that Kova is a jackass regarding race? Theyve since been deleted because someone smarter than the Bigotlov knows it bad for business, but its a fake conversation between him and Ward with one of his gems being "hoe ass n****." Just really trashy stereotype stuff.

It is incumbent on the poster to provide references for their claims, especially when they're as controversial as this. Otherwise we'll have forums filled with a bunch of fake news, if that's what you want.

I googled "Lewis Gorilla" and got nothing. So that seems BS.

As far as the Ward thing, it was tacky but tacky != racist. Black people talk to each other like that, or like what that was attempting to portray. Are people not allowed to parody how other people talk to each other?

It is incumbent on the poster to provide references for their claims, especially when they're as controversial as this. Otherwise we'll have forums filled with a bunch of fake news, if that's what you want.

As far as the Ward thing, it was tacky but tacky != racist. Black people talk to each other like that, or like what that was attempting to portray. Are people not allowed to parody how other people talk to each other?

Honestly, I think comparing Adonis Stevenson to a chimp on its own is strong enough evidence to conclude he's a racist. You're being a little too deferential out of a misplaced sense of fairness.

Was looking forward to that. Those are awkward but fun to watch

Ill just note that youre a piece of shit and ignore further interactions.

Honestly, I think comparing Adonis Stevenson to a chimp on its own is strong enough evidence to conclude he's a racist. You're being a little too deferential out of a misplaced sense of fairness.

We've gone over this tons of time. Comparing someone to an animal based on perceptions of their appearance is not proof or racism.

And one incident is not proof of a billion rumors you've cited without a single shred of proof.

Ill just note that youre a piece of shit and ignore further interactions.

And I'll note that you're dumb as a box of rocks with no ability to intellectually engage and defend your points.

And I'll note that you're dumb as a box of rocks with no ability to intellectually engage and defend your points.
You think racial slurs are ok and Im dumb. Got it.

We've gone over this tons of time. Comparing someone to an animal based on perceptions of their appearance is not proof or racism.

And one incident is not proof of a billion rumors you've cited without a single shred of proof.

You're making a legalistic argument here, not an argument rooted in common sense. Black soccer players in Russia, Ukraine, and elsewhere routinely get taunted with monkey noises and have bananas hurled at them (a situation i'm sure Kovalev is aware of). When the historical precedent for comparing blacks athletes to simians is as deep as it is in Russia, it takes some mental gymnastics to conclude that Kovalev had benign intentions.

Why are you defending this guy? I'm honestly surprised you don't see how offensive and nauseaous it is to compare a black person to a chimp. Its disgusting.

I never watch those face off things, but it will hurt the viewing numbers in the end for the casuals, which, in turn will hurt the fihter's take home (if they get a %, and I can't imagine that they don't).

I hope for a conclusive outcome this time around, and I'm very excited for this one.
Not quite GGG vs Canelo, but it's a top of the food chain type fight.

Racist or not, I'm a huge fan of the fighter.
I'm also a fan of Ward's but the shit he's done to limit his own success is very frustrating to say the least. Dude SHOULD be a massive star, but homie don't play that.

You think racial slurs are ok and Im dumb. Got it.
My favorite part of this forum is how the dumbest people in the room constantly think they are the smartest people in the room. Its just that simple but he will have to type walls of text about semantics and things that have nothing to do with the point to justify him being an apologist.

see, that's racist. Some black people talk to each other like that, but to just say "black people talk to each other like that" is racist.

all of the evidence points to Kovalev being racist and you're burying your hand in the sand over it. Get over it, he's still a really good fighter.

also, don't pull this "everybody is dumb" shit. You're the one who routinely uses big words in the wrong context just to sounds smart. I nearly lost my shit laughing when I saw you say "Cro Magnum"

Last edited:
I first found Kovalev to be a racist well before the Adonis Chimp thing or the stupid Ward text video.
You apologists can give him a pass on that stuff. I wont on the chimp thing. Especially since thats also a thing Nd stereotype in Russia. The video is stupid and not even worth analysing.

There is an early interview where Kovalev was asked about American fighters or training in America I think. Kovalev went on to talk very negative about black fighters specially. Said they all had big mouths and were all talk. Even used words that were offensive. I guess in Russia its ok to call blacks the N word. Or their word for blacks is close to the N word. But even if you gave him ANOTHER pass for the word its clear he had major issues and dislikes for black fighters. I'll see if I can find the interview....

he also called Silakh a monkey, questioned his status as a ukrainian, and threatened to "beat his black ass"

then that's not mentioning all the allegations Pascal made against him about being racist (apparently he said he looked like literal shit and called him a monkey too)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back