having my debut in 1 week , tips ?

SoundHawk

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Hi! So in about 6 days, i'm having my first ever boxing amateur match... just looking for some tips, i stopped lifting weights last week but i'm thinking to do a leg workout tommorow? what kind of activity shall i be doing? i'm also just 3 lbs over the weight so making weight will be piece of cake.. any tips is appreciated! i started training 4 months ago on and off and coach asked me to fight, i'm 21 yr old so i kinda started way too late

thank you

is having sex 6 days out harmful?

Last edited:
The only time you should have sex is post fight. And only if you win.

Hi! So in about 6 days, i'm having my first ever boxing amateur match... just looking for some tips, i stopped lifting weights last week but i'm thinking to do a leg workout tommorow? what kind of activity shall i be doing? i'm also just 3 lbs over the weight so making weight will be piece of cake.. any tips is appreciated! i started training 4 months ago on and off and coach asked me to fight, i'm 21 yr old so i kinda started way too late

thank you

is having sex 6 days out harmful?

lots of boxing lore out there, one of the biggest ones is sex, there must be something to it, and even if there isn't, have some self control just in case. most of the great fighters believed that sex was death before a fight, most of the time there's a lot of humor about it but usually they are serious. For every great fighter who thinks it's bad, there are others who don't seem to believe it, holyfield is one who said he never believed it but like i said, most say don't do it. Especially it's your first fight? and after four months of training? Hell, I never got lucky enough to find people to get me fights when i was young, but four months of training, i basically had nothing so I hope they are matching you right, i once overheard that it takes 9 mos to train a beginner for his first fight, i remember this clearly. I heard it when i was a kid, i don't know if it's true or not and i'm sure there aren't any rigid rules for something like that, Ali fought like four weeks after he first went to a gym. gil clancy put emile griffith in the golden gloves after 3 mos but he said that was an exception because of emile's talent, he said he usually would wait a year to enter a kid into the ny golden gloves. good news is, whoever is encouraging you is on top of his shit, I remember my last mma gym i couldn't even get some sparring for six months after i first went there, it really put me off because i realized that id never get anywhere, they asked me later on to get on board but i just said fuck them. the bad news is that i hope your trainers are teaching you. I know i wasn't ready for no fight at 13 with four months of training in any way.

Everybody is different, you have to find what works for you.

Some in-ring advice...if the guy you're fighting is more experienced than you are, he might try to blitz you quickly to start the fight. So, think about how you will deal with that when you will likley be nervous and possibly have some physical manifestations of your anxiety.

Punch him in the balls early and often. If you have the ref that let mares off with low blows you'll be golden.

If ur in shape: fight like u've never fought before. Sounds stupid but it is most likely what you'll end up doing anyway, and if u go in there with the mentality off the bat you'll be good to go.

All the techniques should be muscle memory and if they are not, u aren't ready for a fight. If they are : Seriously go in there and start letting shit go and it'll be over in a flash with a W. Time flies for the first fight.

If ur in shape: fight like u've never fought before. Sounds stupid but it is most likely what you'll end up doing anyway, and if u go in there with the mentality off the bat you'll be good to go.

All the techniques should be muscle memory and if they are not, u aren't ready for a fight. If they are : Seriously go in there and start letting shit go and it'll be over in a flash with a W. Time flies for the first fight.
Is that how you actually found it in your first fight? It sounds more like bravado. First time I ever fought I had pretty much every advantage physically but I got my ads kicked because he had brains. Bum rushing an opponent doesn't work unless you're called mike Tyson. He had timing and mine wasn't settled, probably any of you on here who spar would've laughed me out of the gym.

A hell of a lot easier said than done, but stay calm stay relaxed

When you get into the ring & start boxing, stay loose, don't be tense, fluid movement & power comes from being relaxed, not wound up like a spring

Assess your opponent, try and work out ASAP what his game is, get your jab going and then work in the double jabs then double jab back hands, think, be elusive, set traps, feint, give him different looks but don't hang around too much, remember you are in an Amateur fight, an Amateur fight is like a sprint, the judges will be looking at your punch output, speed, and volume, not like in a pro fight where you can spend a round or 2 "warming in" to it

Amateur is more rushed, it's on from the word go so be educated and assess but get your work going ASAP but while you will need to fire shots in high volume don't rush and lose your composure , keep your technique tight like your trainer has taught you, bring your hand back to your chin after you fire a punch , the judges like to see that amateur style guard , and just remember there is nothing to fear, you have trained hard , your opponent is a human just like you and you have the qualities to beat him

Don't search for the KO if it comes it comes

But just be prepared mentally, this is your first fight & on the night you will experience a completely new feeling you've never felt in boxing, this is the real deal, so compose yourself and devise a gameplan . No matter how good you look on the pads, on the bag And in sparring , it's here in the Fight where it Really Matters so take it seriously & box clever

Good luck

Is that how you actually found it in your first fight? It sounds more like bravado. First time I ever fought I had pretty much every advantage physically but I got my ads kicked because he had brains. Bum rushing an opponent doesn't work unless you're called mike Tyson. He had timing and mine wasn't settled, probably any of you on here who spar would've laughed me out of the gym.

Ironically I actually lost doing what I tried to do, because I had it after only 2 weeks of boxing, was not at all prepared for the kind of conditioning necessary. Those are just the instructions my trainer told me: Fight like you've never fought before, and I fought a guy who had 9 fights and already won a novice tournament because my trainer was Floyd Sr., and it was their home gym fighter.

I did exactly as my trainer told me to do, and without a doubt it worked. I dominated the first round literally only throwing 1-2-3's, the only combination I knew lol. Just kept chucking 1-2-3's like it was mitts with my chin down and was finding contact. After the first round I knew I couldn't go 3 rounds like this, I got a brutal check on how much conditioning is required to box, and went out in the second and tried to slow down the pace. The kid I was fighting picked up the pace (he was a real smart slick guy) and he started countering my jab (only throwing one at a time because I was sooo tired) with an over hand right. He hit me twice with the overhand right over my jab, so I figured I needed to throw more than one punch and trade with him

So once again I sat down and threw a 1-2-3 as if I was doing pads, he tried to counter my jab with the overhand right but the combination came off so quick, I actually slipped on the outside of his right and landed my own right hand, came back with a left hook and dropped him. Kid told me afterwards it was the first time he had been down.

I did everything in my power to try and finish him after that and I was basically swimming in the damn air cuz of how slick the kid was, next round it was obvious I couldn't even hold my hands up and that I was tired (hell when I knocked him down, I was over here happy bout getting a rest more so than dropping him), and he started picking it up. I threw where I could and eventually ended up in the corner with about 45 seconds to go, and I decided the smartest thing to do would be to take a knee to avoid punishment, I'm winning for sure any way, and because I'm about to get an 8 count for not answering back anyway. So I took a knee (only time I've ever touched the canvas, will never happen again because I'm scarred from what happened after): got up at 4 seconds, and leaned up on the ropes ( I did look exhausted), and the referee stopped it. Said I looked unfit to continue, didn't even get hit with a punch, complete bullshit. Floyd Sr. called me a quitter and talked shit for hours. He was mad as could be. I was indeed winning up until that point, and that kid turned Open after that.

Soooo granted I got stopped in my first fight following the instructions I gave, the irony, but if I had been in shape or knew what running was or anything like that, that tactic would have gotten me a victory over a kid who had been boxing 5 years after 2 weeks in the gym.

tl;dr: Yeah, if ur in dog shape, which u should be before u fight otherwise its gonna be hell in there, go out and pretend ur hitting mitts on their head.

Disclaimer: Everyone is different, follow the advice of ur coach, most of all have fun! For me personally my coach was aware I can blitz with speed and I believe that is why he gave the instruction he did to me, but it worked for me apart from not being in any shape at all until the conditioning set in. I was bouncing punches all over the place with these damn 1-2-3's lol!

Follow the advice of ur coach and have fun.

Ironically I actually lost doing what I tried to do, because I had it after only 2 weeks of boxing, was not at all prepared for the kind of conditioning necessary. Those are just the instructions my trainer told me: Fight like you've never fought before, and I fought a guy who had 9 fights and already won a novice tournament because my trainer was Floyd Sr., and it was their home gym fighter.

I did exactly as my trainer told me to do, and without a doubt it worked. I dominated the first round literally only throwing 1-2-3's, the only combination I knew lol. Just kept chucking 1-2-3's like it was mitts with my chin down and was finding contact. After the first round I knew I couldn't go 3 rounds like this, I got a brutal check on how much conditioning is required to box, and went out in the second and tried to slow down the pace. The kid I was fighting picked up the pace (he was a real smart slick guy) and he started countering my jab (only throwing one at a time because I was sooo tired) with an over hand right. He hit me twice with the overhand right over my jab, so I figured I needed to throw more than one punch and trade with him

So once again I sat down and threw a 1-2-3 as if I was doing pads, he tried to counter my jab with the overhand right but the combination came off so quick, I actually slipped on the outside of his right and landed my own right hand, came back with a left hook and dropped him. Kid told me afterwards it was the first time he had been down.

I did everything in my power to try and finish him after that and I was basically swimming in the damn air cuz of how slick the kid was, next round it was obvious I couldn't even hold my hands up and that I was tired (hell when I knocked him down, I was over here happy bout getting a rest more so than dropping him), and he started picking it up. I threw where I could and eventually ended up in the corner with about 45 seconds to go, and I decided the smartest thing to do would be to take a knee to avoid punishment, I'm winning for sure any way, and because I'm about to get an 8 count for not answering back anyway. So I took a knee (only time I've ever touched the canvas, will never happen again because I'm scarred from what happened after): got up at 4 seconds, and leaned up on the ropes ( I did look exhausted), and the referee stopped it. Said I looked unfit to continue, didn't even get hit with a punch, complete bullshit. Floyd Sr. called me a quitter and talked shit for hours. He was mad as could be. I was indeed winning up until that point, and that kid turned Open after that.

Soooo granted I got stopped in my first fight following the instructions I gave, the irony, but if I had been in shape or knew what running was or anything like that, that tactic would have gotten me a victory over a kid who had been boxing 5 years after 2 weeks in the gym.

tl;dr: Yeah, if ur in dog shape, which u should be before u fight otherwise its gonna be hell in there, go out and pretend ur hitting mitts on their head.

Disclaimer: Everyone is different, follow the advice of ur coach, most of all have fun! For me personally my coach was aware I can blitz with speed and I believe that is why he gave the instruction he did to me, but it worked for me apart from not being in any shape at all until the conditioning set in. I was bouncing punches all over the place with these damn 1-2-3's lol!

Follow the advice of ur coach and have fun.
Good post man. I was young and arrogant and thought I had 1 shot power. I don't. You live you learn. My conditioning was always good when training. My chin is not.

Some in-ring advice...if the guy you're fighting is more experienced than you are, he might try to blitz you quickly to start the fight. So, think about how you will deal with that when you will likley be nervous and possibly have some physical manifestations of your anxiety.
This is actually really good advice. A lot of more experienced amateurs will try to blitz new comers depending on the experience difference. Be prepared if it s a guy in his 8th or 9th fight.

On the flip side if your opponent is debuting he likely will be wound up and nervous as well

I doubt anyone would be debuting as well, i'm in for a tough challenge but will try my best, i just hope i don't gas out.

This is good advice. Just remember to try and keep your breathing even paced and to stay relaxed as possible.. Even if you are not really reacting well to him (it takes time to be comfortable in there), just have faith in your training. You have your guard up/defensive posture at all times. When you throw a punch, keep your other hand up, and bring the punch right back to defense.

I doubt anyone would be debuting as well, i'm in for a tough challenge but will try my best, i just hope i don't gas out.
people will say what they will but anyone getting up in front of a crowd and risking it all has balls. The very idea was mortifying when i was a kid, that along with not really being trained led to not fighting, i wasn't stupid, i saw the other guys in the gym get creamed by the other gyms. When you're young, you need support from somewhere so hopefully you have some.

gil clancy once said that ammies burn energy because they don't know how to relax. just do your best, the sun will come up the next day regardless. I wish i was in your shoes, i'm too old now. I fell in love with fighting, even now i still enjoy training but I can feel the age for sure, i'd still throw down with anyone though if i had to.

This is actually really good advice. A lot of more experienced amateurs will try to blitz new comers depending on the experience difference. Be prepared if it s a guy in his 8th or 9th fight.

On the flip side if your opponent is debuting he likely will be wound up and nervous as well
i once read marvin hagler fought a guy with like 60 ammie fights in his first fight and won, had to be natural talent. Tyson was another who had so much natural talent that they paid some pro contenders to spar with him. that, however, is unusual. most fighters take time to develop.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back