has your internal clock ever been screwed up?

I spent 10 years working in restaurants, and mostly evening shifts.

I've recently taken a job that requires waking up around 5:30am, and even two months later, I'm struggling with learning how to sleep at night.

Fuck yeah. When I went to Italy. My clock never adjusted, so I was basically up all night. Then, right when I would start falling asleep, everyone would wake up and it was time to go out. So I basically did not sleep for a week.

When I came back from Asia last time I couldn't go to sleep befor 2am and wanted to slee until 10 everyday, even though I have to wake up at 7 during the week

I finally got it under control and now I'm 2 hours from landing there again

eating adderall like M&Ms kept me awake for 7 days once, things were weird pretty much the whole time.

during 'grave' yard shift rotation, I would always get time fucked.
morning was night, night was morning.
sleep all day, up all night.
lots of cool shit happens at night though.

working overnights sucked, threw me off for a good year

when I use to work grave shifts from 6pm top 6am...that shit fucked up my whole sleeping pattern, but the actual shift was quite nice...no one to bother you

I botched a spring semester only class the year I should have graduated college. Had to go back for one measly afternoon class. I was always a night owl and campus had 24hr computer lab and 24 gym. I was coming in at 3AM or later every night/morning.

Worked 1500-2300 shift for four years. The 2300-0700 shift for eight. It wasn't until I got forced back into three month rotations that I understood just how banged up I was.

Yes its been screwed up but its also impressive. If I see a clock early in the day, for the rest of the day I can get the time within five minutes. Also if I repeat to myself that I have to be up at a specific time I will wake up at that time without fail, no alarm clocks necessary and doesnt matter how tired going in to the sleep. I do need to see the time before nodding off though. As far as I know Im low on the autistic spectrum but those powers suggest otherwise.

Yes its been screwed up but its also impressive. If I see a clock early in the day, for the rest of the day I can get the time within five minutes. Also if I repeat to myself that I have to be up at a specific time I will wake up at that time without fail, no alarm clocks necessary and doesnt matter how tired going in to the sleep. I do need to see the time before nodding off though. As far as I know Im low on the autistic spectrum but those powers suggest otherwise.

There's actually been a study where if you think of a time to wake up your body will actually release some sort of hormone from keeping you from going too deep into sleep, or I think it wakes you up around that time. It's pretty fascinating as I've noticed this myself.

There is no such thing as internal clock when you live with small children.

Man, im always in the wrong time zone.

I just got back from almost a month in Mexico. I never usually get jetlag but...

This time was savage. A perfect storm though - for the few days prior to coming home, I was partying very hard. Little sleep for about 2 nights or so, culminating in not going to bed at all and getting hammered then getting a 6am boat back to the mainland to commence my journey home. I'm usually good at sleeping on planes but....this time, I had a 2hr flight to Miami, so no sleep; then a few hours hanging in the airport, no sleep; then I somehow broke through the wall and couldn't sleep at all on the 9hr flight home.

By the time I got home, I think I hadn't slept for about 30hrs in total, maybe more. Jetlag then had me sleeping by 8pm every night and up at 4am for about three days. Rough. My stomach was out of sorts, too.

I fuck up my internal clock all the time. It ain't no thing. I change my sleep schedule all the time. You get used to not getting sleep.

Back