Has there ever been a jewish profesional fighter?

I'm telling you guys Andrei Arolvski is Jewish

He is from a city in Belarus that used to have a very large community and his name is not Belorussian or Russian

He also seems to not be a Russian or Belorussian guy but more of a Russian speaking guy living in America

Also Arlovski's former agent is Jewish

I dont understand why you guys think Jews are bad fighters they are just as good as anyone else but a lot of guys probably don't tell everyone they are Jewish

He is from a city in Belarus that used to have a very large community and his name is not Belorussian or Russian

He also seems to not be a Russian or Belorussian guy but more of a Russian speaking guy living in America

I dont understand why you guys think Jews are bad fighters they are just as good as anyone else but a lot of guys probably don't tell everyone they are Jewish
Wow way to get defensive buddy! I think the thread starter was just curious.

Jared Cannonier is Jewish.

Chris weidman?

Also mma doesn't pay nuff to attract Jews

Eliot Marshall. Lol. This thread reminds me of that time on TUF when some guy was talking shit and Dolce was like "My wife's Jewish!!" Or some shit like that. Can't find the video, though.

There's about 30 from Israel. There's probably at least another 20-30 who are Jewish but don't bother to talk about it.

Noad Lahat in the UFC and Kirill Medvedovski are probably the most notable.
If I'm not mistaken Medvedovski said that religiously he is Orthodox Christian, so he is not Jewish in terms of religion. Not sure about ethnicity, but maybe one of his parents married Jewish person and that way they ended up in Israel. So maybe he is Ukranian from Israel.

How is his name not Belarusian or Russian? It's found in Russian (Orlovsky), Belarusian (Arloŭski), and Polish (Orlowski), at the least. What is a "Belarusian name" anyway, really? Most either point to Russian (-aŭ/-oŭ, -in), Ukrianian (-enka, etc.) or Polish (-aŭski/-oŭski) roots. Given the history of the country, being part of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and then Russia, it's all mixed up, ethnically speaking.

The Orlovskys are a Polish szlachta from the Commonwealth, by the way, so it's certainly not necessarily Jewish: https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Орловские

Plus, it could be a so-called "seminarian surname" that they gave to guys that studied in one of those. They coined tons of surnames back then; Orlovsky is listed as one. Do you think a Jew would have entered an Orthodox Christian seminary?

Also, Sarah Kaufman (Jewish father) and I remember someone here mentioned that Ben Saunders and Josh Burkman are Jewish. Not sure, but isn't Justine Kish grew up in Jewish family?

You are only technically jewish if your mother is. Doesn't pass through a father.

How is his name not Belarusian or Russian? It's found in Russian (Orlovsky), Belarusian (Arloŭski), and Polish (Orlowski), at the least. What is a "Belarusian name" anyway, really? Most either point to Russian (-aŭ/-oŭ, -in), Ukrianian (-enka, etc.) or Polish (-aŭski/-oŭski) roots. Given the history of the country, being part of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and then Russia, it's all mixed up, ethnically speaking.

The Orlovskys are a Polish szlachta from the Commonwealth, by the way, so it's certainly not necessarily Jewish: https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Орловские

Plus, it could be a so-called "seminarian surname" that they gave to guys that studied in one of those. They coined tons of surnames back then; Orlovsky is listed as one. Do you think a Jew would have entered an Orthodox Christian seminary?

Well yeah Russia is a mongrel nation so you cannot say "This is Russian, this is not" but Belarus is a bit more concrete and I can tell you that whatever Belarus is that Arlovksi isn't your classical Belorussian, Pole or Lithuanian

Besides he was on the Jerry Springer show everyone knows Jerry is Jewish and Arlovski was the security guard there

I've read this one a few forums and I thought it was a joke at first but hey he's Jewish and that's great isn't it?

Besides MMA isn't exactly new to Israel or Jews

one of the best Vale Tudo events ever was held in Israel (I forgot the name but it was back when Vale tudo was still a thing and it was great) and one of the creators of the UFC is Jewish as well

So you see Jews have added a lot to MMA and you guys should respect that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back