has the ufc diluted itself buy taking over so many companies??

i have watch every UFC from 1 to 146 ,,,, i had to stop with too many events plus the fights no longer the quality as before. when ufc was younger lots of fighters from all sorts of promotion had dreams to be in the UFC. and a few bad loses meant you where out. now with so many UFC each week from different levels main event fight cards are not so exclusive, and i see now they try to push one fighter to super star status at a time. while destroying whole weight categories. not to mention all there gyms that are across the world now..

question has the ufc quest for dominance tarnished their brand of excellence and or diluted their talent pool.
or you feel they offer more opportunities and more fighters get a chance to become successful ?

Quite the opposite, UFC aggressive acquisitions meant that it grew its talent pool very quickly. And it was the only way to pick up elite fighters in alphabet soup promotions asap.

What is wrong is the current business model in MMA where promotions including the UFC give very little back to the sport except to the tiny handful of the elite. And this is reflected in the lack of quality up and coming journeyman fighters.

Sorry for my attitude, but then what are you complaining about?

Young fighters are still dreaming to sign to the UFC, fighters like Alan Jouban, James Moontasri, Brian Ortega, Pedro Munhoz were all champions in smaller promotions like RFA and Legacy, full of talents that get signed to the UFC when ready.

That's spot on, nostalgia tricks the mind.
yes younger fighters still dream to be in top organizations and UFC is the best , hands down, but from what i hear , they are not doing enough to to support the grass roots guys, and give them a better pay check. they focus only on developing a super star,, on the other hand you can say , with all there new gyms they are developing much more talent and the competition to become a fighter in ufc is harder,
to me the ufc is becoming to focused on signal athletes for pay per view, and production, instead of creating a roster where you have 3-5 top guys at every weight level, they want only one figure head to lead the organization at a time ,, much like the hulk hogan effect in wwe , is what i think ,

yes younger fighters still dream to be in top organizations and UFC is the best , hands down, but from what i hear , they are not doing enough to to support the grass roots guys, and give them a better pay check. they focus only on developing a super star,, on the other hand you can say , with all there new gyms they are developing much more talent and the competition to become a fighter in ufc is harder,
to me the ufc is becoming to focused on signal athletes for pay per view, and production, instead of creating a roster where you have 3-5 top guys at every weight level, they want only one figure head to lead the organization at a time ,, much like the hulk hogan effect in wwe , is what i think ,

Just throwing this out there..................but maybe the UFC feels in some ways they have moved past the time frame of having to go hunt down the gem in some Eastern Europe gym. They have laid the ground work for small orgs to work by the popularity they have created with UFC/MMA. They can out pay anyone for a fighter if they want him or her. Outside of a few orgs in the world the rest will more or less let any of there fighters move on to UFC if they are offered a contract. One's that don't, the fighters are usually signed to shorter contracts so when they come up they can make a play if they want. In a nutshell maybe there thought process is if your good enough you'll make us take notice as you rise up. Not saying it right or wrong.

It isn't easy to create stars. Even in the WWE where they have total control of everything they have a hard time creating new big stars. Fighters have to have the charisma that make fans care either negatively or positively about them. When they can accomplish that the UFC begins there push of that fighter. Just being a stud in the cage doesn't make you a BIG STAR. So I think your always going to see the handful stars through out the roster mixed in with a good group of very good fighters in each division and everyone else is fighting to move up the ranks. I highly doubt that will ever change.

UFC just needs to focus on signing all the top talent. Shutting down other organisations should mean they swallow all the top talent but it didn't always work out like that.

Look at how many top fighters aren't signed

7 top 20 Hw
9 top 20 Lhw
4 top 20 Mw
5 top 20 Ww
4 top 20 Lw
8 top 20 Fw
5 top 20 Bw
5 top 20 Fly

UFC needs to stop letting top fighters go and make it a priority to sign top ranked fighters.

Mousasi, Bader, David, Rory etc.. It's crazy to let fighters like this go. People say Lhw is a thin division and having nearly half the ranked fighters outside UFC can't help.

Id be more than happy for them to scrap women's MMA if it ment they would sign more top 20 ranked talent in the men's divisions

UFC just needs to focus on signing all the top talent. Shutting down other organisations should mean they swallow all the top talent but it didn't always work out like that.

Look at how many top fighters aren't signed

7 top 20 Hw
9 top 20 Lhw
4 top 20 Mw
5 top 20 Ww
4 top 20 Lw
8 top 20 Fw
5 top 20 Bw
5 top 20 Fly

UFC needs to stop letting top fighters go and make it a priority to sign top ranked fighters.

Mousasi, Bader, David, Rory etc.. It's crazy to let fighters like this go. People say Lhw is a thin division and having nearly half the ranked fighters outside UFC can't help.

Id be more than happy for them to scrap women's MMA if it ment they would sign more top 20 ranked talent in the men's divisions

Well to be fair some of those fighters more or less ran their course through the UFC and on the tail end of their career. Obviously I'm not including guys like Rory or Mousasi in that conversation. Some of the other guys have great deals with other orgs.. Some don't have any will to be in the UFC.

There will always be some top guys not in the UFC.

P.S.: The UFC has always let some guys go to the comp that cost a lot of money and don't bring ratings. They become just salary bombs in the accountant books of those orgs.. Why do think Rory is kind of peeved now about maybe not fighting again until 2018. Truth is Bellator can't just roll a guy with his salary out there for just any event.

Last edited:
Yes!!! I miss such great fights like Tito/Matyushenko, Tim/Arloski 3 and Herring/O'Brien. The old days sucked just as bad as ever but people think it was so much better because it was niche.

Monson vs Timmah..
I still have PTSD from that fight.

Well to be fair some of those fighters they don't have has a lot to do with they more or less ran their course through the UFC and on the tail end of their career. Obviously I'm including guys like Rory or Mousasi in that conversation. Some of the other guys have great deals with other orgs.. Some don't have any will to be in the UFC.

There will always be some top guys not in the UFC.

P.S.: The UFC has always let some guys go to the comp that cost a lot of money and don't bring ratings. They become just salary bombs in the accountant books of those orgs.. Why do think Rory is kind of peeved now about maybe not fighting again until 2018. Truth is Bellator can't just roll a guy with his salary out there for just any event.

They can't afford not to, if guys like Rory leave pissed other big names won't sign.

Back